Attempted car break in

This is a discussion on Attempted car break in within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It sounds like you had some jealous cops. They were definitely in the wrong since shots were fired. But they were probably sick of seeing ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attempted car break in

It sounds like you had some jealous cops. They were definitely in the wrong since shots were fired. But they were probably sick of seeing people call them about property crimes in avoidable situations. Many civilians that have chosen to get a CCW have probably done so to put the odds in their favor in bad social situations. That preparedness and concealed mentality should extend to possessions as well. If you've got a sweet ride, it's probably best not to tempt fate and keep it garaged when it's parked.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMuffin View Post
    Hey, I resemble that remark! The up-side is that the 455 gives you plenty of power...
    Yeah. I might just have to track down another old "shaggin wagon" and fix-er up. Definately a defensive argument can be made for driving something heavy with a little muscle under your right foot.

(CAUTION: Long Rant follows:)

As far as unprofessional cops; I'm sure the police department gets complaints all the time from scum-bags who are just crying wolf. I believe that. The problem is the few that take advantage of this belief bias and behave in negative and adversarial ways.

Every job I've ever had always has had one or two "problem children" on the payroll. What always amazed me was the way that management would cover for their behavior rather than confronting an obvious moralle problem.

Here in Sacramento, the police have the obvious chore of dealing day-in and day-out with an explosion of drug-addicts and de-institutionalized mental patients, as well as the endless supply of domestic violence and just plain stupidity (Here's a shocker; I see it in my work everyday, as well). The police probably have little time or appreciation for complaints by John Q. Citizen over the "impolite" behavior by one of their own.

HOWEVER; Those of us who abide all the laws, even the ones which I believe are misguided and wrong (like local anti-CCW policies), would probably appreciate it if we were recognized during the few and usually insignificant encounters with law enforcement which we do and will have from time to time.

We are easy to spot. We're non-adversarial, polite, respectful, and compliant. We understand what the police are up against.

We are not the problem.

And being young, like the teenage motorist was in this instance, is not a criminal offense. Neither is being well off, like I and I'm sure others aspire to be. (And neither is driving a raggy looking antique!)

In summary, what I'm saying is this; If law enforcement resents the idea of having "citizen review boards" or other types of top-heavy and meddlesome bureaucracy gumming up their genuine efforts, then it would be great if they would indeed "police their own". A little bit of senior officer oversight and constuctive peer pressure would go a long way.

Respect is earned, not automatic. The fact that officers are doing a job which I wouldn't want already puts them in a positive light, automatically, in my eyes. It disappoints and concerns me then when I am subjected to disrespectful attitudes by immature, and usually younger, members of the force. If you hate civilians that much, then you should not be carrying a badge (or a gun!).

Misbehaving with impunity, because you can, has a name; it's called "Might Makes Right", and it's the philosophy which BGs practice. Think about that.

If you find the work so dangerous and stressful that you feel the need to attempt to instigate ugly situations, then find other work.

Attempting to provoke negative emotional responses from anyone is both dangerous and counterproductive. It doesn't work on most of us and has the effect of making me tend to rethink my attitudes towards expensive, cumbersome oversight commitees; something I'd prefer not to have to pay for.

I'm sure that there are one or two members of this forum who can relate to what I'm trying to say here.

In the meantime, I'm still looking for a cherry '71 Vista Cruiser which I can outfit with bullet-proof panels for those times when I'm being shot at while retreating from a bad situation.

EDIT:
    I typed CWW didn't I? I meant CCW.
    Last edited by TattooWings; October 3rd, 2006 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Dislexifying my three letter acronyms.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links