Attempted car break in

This is a discussion on Attempted car break in within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When i was 19 i had a nice 1995 Yukon gt. it had the window broke out one time in the middle of the day. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attempted car break in

Attempted car break in

When i was 19 i had a nice 1995 Yukon gt. it had the window broke out one time in the middle of the day. They were trying to steal my stereo. Luckily one of the neighbors saw them and called me.

About a month later i was sitting in my girlfriends driveway with her arguing about leaving my truck there overnight. Just as she was saying that it would be ok a red car drove by slow, full of people. I had dark tinted windows in my truck, they could not see me. That threw up a red flag. Next thing I knew 3 males in all black were walking up to my driver side window. When it was clear that they were coming to my truck and not just walking down the sidewalk I leaned forward enough so that they could see me. They were at least 50 feet away.

As soon as they saw me one of them lifted up his shirt and flashed a small revolver at me. Before I could think I had my truck in gear and was flying out the driveway. I looked in my mirror and realized that they were shooting at me as I drove away. As soon as it was safe I called the cops.

The worst part about the whole incident was that when the police showed up they told me that it was my own fault because I have a nice truck. They than told me not to bother calling them again unless someone was shot. This incident was what motivated me to get my ccw permit. The one thing I learned was that the cops can’t or sometimes wont be there for you. Your personal safety primarily rests upon you’re own judgment and willingness to not be victim.

Being that I was unarmed at the time I don’t know what much else I could have done. Feel free to put yourself in my shoes and comment appropriately.
    Last edited by P95Carry; October 1st, 2006 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Broke text into para's.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Hi and

A salutary experience for sure - and hardly useful to have comments about you having too nice of a vehicle!!! Whole thing is, none of us knows any time what risk may occur, even with great vigilance and awareness, plus for sure - we cannot depend on LE to save our bacon.

BTW - broke your post into para's - it aids readability.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

jp...

I lived outside of Saginaw for years...in the thumb...
    Too bad about the 'to protect & serve guys'...they are not all like that...dirtbags abound in all areas of employment and unemployment.

That poor misunderstood fells with the gun ...it's too bad that there couldn't have been some 'two-way communication'...

Stay safe...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome to the forum!

Hey, you did what you could and you and yours didn't get hurt. That's what I call good self defense. What you did would stiil be your best option even if armed. We really only want to have to draw when our options are draw or else. Start shooting with an innocent around when you could have run and she gets shot would be a lousy option. However if they had you boxed in and there's now way out it's time to dance, and try to be the first one dancin'....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Welcome Stay ALERT

Yeah! It's punks like you drivin' around in nice rides with their young girlfriends that cause all this bad stuff! Just askin' for it, I tell ya! Don't you realize that victims cause crime?!?

Don't you know that you're supposed to be drivin' an old '71 Vista Cruiser in need of valve guides with peeling faux wood panel contact paper, and uh... oh, never mind.

BTW; Welcome to the forum.
    "A government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims." - Ayn Rand, The Nature of Government, 1964

I would have reported those police officers.

Welcome

Welcome , You did what you could. Look at it as a learning experience.. Don't use the reaction of the Police to judge all Police Officers, they are just human, some are good, some midiocre, some are bad. The few bad and couldn't care less Officers make it tough on the majority who really care.

Quote Originally Posted by jp4240 View Post
    The worst part about the whole incident was that when the police showed up they told me that it was my own fault because I have a nice truck. .
    I'm afraid my temper would have flared if I was told this, then I would have told the cop a thing or two...

Quote Originally Posted by TattooWings View Post
    Don't you know that you're supposed to be drivin' an old '71 Vista Cruiser in need of valve guides with peeling faux wood panel contact paper, and uh... oh, never mind.
    Hey, I resemble that remark! The up-side is that the 455 gives you plenty of power to push aside the Honda Del-Sol that cut you off and then pointed a handgun out the sunroof at you.

... and it doesn't need valve guides either :)

JP4240--welcome! Good story.

Quote Originally Posted by jp4240 View Post
    ... they were shooting at me as I drove away. As soon as it was safe I called the cops. The worst part about the whole incident was that when the police showed up they told me that it was my own fault because I have a nice truck.
    Attempted murder against you, and you get told it was your fault for having something the perps wanted? Good time for a tape recorder and a good friend at the newspapers.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Wow unbelievable the way the police treated you. Glad you're safe and welcome!
    It comes a time in your life when you run across someone you should have never @#$$% with. Allow me to introduce myself!

Hey look - I've got a beat up old truck that I could swap you for your nice ride. It's the least I could do.

Welcome to the forum from NC!
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

A LEO told you that....thats terrible....

Yeah, I would have thrown a FIT over that.
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to read that you were victimized by thugs and then not readily assisted by LEOs.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links