Shooting to stop kidnapping

This is a discussion on Shooting to stop kidnapping within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd get out in the road and get off as many shots in the driver's side window as possible as he drove by. I'm not ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Shooting to stop kidnapping

I'd get out in the road and get off as many shots in the driver's side window as possible as he drove by. I'm not shooting at the radiator, fuel tank, tires - or trying to shoot the keys out of the ignition. You kill the driver, you stop the car.

... and no, I don't care about percentages - except for the zero percent chance of avoiding the abduction by doing nothing.
    Spirit51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
    I'd get out in the road and get off as many shots in the driver's side window as possible as he drove by. I'm not shooting at the radiator, fuel tank, tires - or trying to shoot the keys out of the ignition. You kill the driver, you stop the car.

... and no, I don't care about percentages - except for the zero percent chance of avoiding the abduction by doing nothing.
    Keys out of the ignition... I hadn't thought of that! Yeah! I'd do THAT!

If one of the many bullets I fired happened to hit the ignition switch, I would...

In a panic... I might just dump a whole mag... At least the car would be easily identifiable...
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    The scenario you described is a stellar example of why I have the handgun shown in my avatar holstered inside of my cargo shorts instead of that snubby which many would argue is the only gun I could possibly ever need.
    Echo_Four likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Keys out of the ignition... I hadn't thought of that! Yeah! I'd do THAT!

If one of the many bullets I fired happened to hit the ignition switch, I would...

In a panic... I might just dump a whole mag... At least the car would be easily identifiable...
    Where did you find mags for a model 37 snubbie?
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I'd like to think I'd be more inclined to jump in my car and give chase instead of dumping on the Vehicle and if I stop it.. well officer, I had to stop a kidnapping..

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Our instincts will be to attack. Doubt will only set in if we have recently started questioning what we would do and all the things that could go wrong.

Anyhow, the kid is more likely to survive a hit from a handgun than a day in the hands of a perv.

A shot out window would make the car easier to identify, true.

Still, /two/ bad guys grabbing a girl?
    Spirit51 likes this.

Tough call, and would completely depend on my angle at the car. If I was facing the passenger side, and that's where my daughter was being thrown into, I'd Jesse Owens it back to my house and grab the car take chase and be calling 911 at the same time. I don't know what I would do if I were the one who caused harm to my daughter through an adrenaline rushed bad shot.
    Head on coming towards me-- empty clip. Then, take chase. Agreed that I probably wouldn't hit him/her, but it's pretty conspicuous and hard to hide from the cops.
    Either way, whoever does this better hope the cops catch them before I do. If not, by the time I'm done with him, the director of Hostel would be sickened.

yea. i'd shoot. i have thought about this many times. without a doubt. even if i end up in prison for the rest of my life, in exchange for my child's life.

hands down. 100%, no question.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

This is one of those reasons I don't carry a snubby. Most of my carry guns are reasonably accurate to 10-15 yards, my thought is, the M&P compact or the 1911 can fight up close like a snubby, but a snubby can't fight at distance like the other two.

Anyways, that aside I'm shooting as well. Like one person said, a shattered back glass and flat tires is a hard way to drive around unnoticed. Once that is done (cause a tire shot won't stop them instantly) I am racing to my car and finding that car with all the holes in it. At least, that is what "keyboard commando" is saying right now when I have the luxury to stop and think about it.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Not sure I would hit the driver, but that is what I would be aiming for while I was shooting. The bullet holes in the car are a plus, as would be having the neighbors all calling 911.

My key is always left in my motorcycle while it's in the garage, so I think that would be my chase vehicle. Not great for putting their car in the ditch, but it would be really hard for them to loose me in the chase. If it got to that point, a moving car battle has less chance of ending well than me following does. I guess it would be hard to shoot or call the police while on the bike, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it done in movies...
    Walk softly ...

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Interesting hypothetical, if someone grabbed my kid (I don't actually have kids yet) in the manner in which you described, they would be shot at. My alter ego Liam Neeson would come out.
    BigStick likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Where did you find mags for a model 37 snubbie?
    Lmao!!

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Curious..those that said they will shoot:is that because you actually think the car will stop? (chances are very slim) Or you think it would take too long to get into your vehicle or a neighbors and give chase?

I do not think anyone here so far has had the intention of doing nothing.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I guess it would be hard to shoot or call the police while on the bike, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it done in movies...
    ha!

you could always practice. with your phone and an airsoft.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

I will shoot the tires,the driver, and radiator, "if" im able to catch up to them i wont call 911 i will do what i have to do.....?...then i'll grab my daughter and leave , because in the court of law "lawyers" have a way of turning things around making you the bad guy, bottom line is my daughter comes first before the law , and before the rights of these two animals period....
    Spirit51 likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links