Shooting cars, how, when and where?

This is a discussion on Shooting cars, how, when and where? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...idnapping.html In this thread about kidnapping, the thought of shooting to stop a car from running away brought many questions to mind. You are shooting ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Shooting cars, how, when and where?

Shooting cars, how, when and where?

Shooting to stop kidnapping

In this thread about kidnapping, the thought of shooting to stop a car from running away brought many questions to mind.

You are shooting to stop bad guys from kidnapping your young daughter, the car is driving past then away from you, where do you shoot?

What part of cars are vulnerable to handgun rounds? Vulnerable as in stop a car right now
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Aim between the nose and the upper lip.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Echo_Four likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Well if a car is going past and then away I would go for the driver (if we are assuming the same kidnapping scenario) as it passed. If not the driver then tires. No car will be maneuverable or drive for long with a blown out tire, giving you and police time to get them. You could certainly try for the engine area, but chances are low you could blindly hit something immediately vital. Once the car is past you and driving away the only shot you would have is tires, unless you plan on draining the gas tank.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    Shooting to stop kidnapping

In this thread about kidnapping, the thought of shooting to stop a car from running away brought many questions to mind.

You are shooting to stop bad guys from kidnapping your young daughter, the car is driving past then away from you, where do you shoot?

What part of cars are vulnerable to handgun rounds? Vulnerable as in stop a car right now
    I can't imagine any part of any 2-4 thousand pound vehicle that can be hit with a handgun round that would stop it right now. A radiator is probably the easiest to hit from the front and will disable it but that's after fluid is gone and has had time to overheat. You'd be pretty lucky I think, to hit anything with a handgun that will instantly disable a 4 wheel vehicle. Criminals will drive forever on shot and blown out tires so that's out. It just slows them down but doesn't stop them. I would say that the best bet to stopping a vehicle asap would be to either to hit the driver, or hit the vehicle with an AH-64 Apache. Even at that, a moving vehicle may still roll a little.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    IMO, If you were unsure as to the location of the little girl in relation to the BG's, the tires might be the only viable target to hopefully stop the abduction. Even if a blown tire doesn't stop them, it will at least make them more visible to those who are looking for them. Very tough call...
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

There's no part of a car that can be reliably hit by handgun rounds that will stop it right now. And I don't know if I would be shooting at a car containing my daughter, even if handguns could reliably stop a automobile.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Anywhere!

Haven't you ever watched a movie? Shoot anywhere and the darn things just explode!
    mprp, archer51, 45XDCCW and 4 others like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "What part of cars are vulnerable to handgun rounds? Vulnerable as in stop a car right now "

Other than the gray matter behind the wheel, none. It only works in the movies. I wouldn't be too keen on shooting at a vehicle with a family member in it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    We actually had a really good lesson in this at Partner Tactics at TDI.

First of all, handgun rounds against cars SUCK.. that's just the truth of it. You are not going to stop a car with a handgun bullet. Not going to happen, unless, as noted, you stop the driver.

Second, the strongest window in the vehicle is the windshield. They are made to take a beating. If you need to shoot through the windshield you may need to "tenderize" it first.. meaning you may need to shoot it a couple of times before your rounds may even penetrate (again, we're talking handguns here.. rifles are a little different) and your accuracy is going to be questionable at best as your rounds will be deflected by the angle of the shield. They might go high, they might go low but they seldom will hit where you aim.

The most bulletproof area of the car is engine. Second best is the wheels (breaks, shocks, etc).. third best is the A-pillars... Everything else SUCKS! Unless you have a lot of stuff in your trunk to eat up the bullets then it's like shooting through a tin can.

There are supports in the car doors that MAY stop bullets but they are unreliable and spaced apart so a car door is not good cover at all.

Shooting the tires may not do you much good. Some rounds can go through tires and sometimes they actually bounce off or the tire just SLOOOOWLY deflates instead of blows.. especially these modern tires that are made to stay inflated or be driven on when flat. They give a fleeing suspect plenty of time to get away even with a delating tire.

If you're going to stop a car you're going to want to shoot the driver. As long as you are off to the side and a decent shot the car isn't going to do much to protect him.

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    There's no part of a car that can be reliably hit by handgun rounds that will stop it right now. And I don't know if I would be shooting at a car containing my daughter, even if handguns could reliably stop a automobile.
    I tend to agree, but, I believe kidnapping is more dangerous than handguns. Young children kidnapped by unknown assailants are most often end in death.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Against a car, I think the minimum "DRT" weapon is a .50 BMG. Anything less is a crap shoot.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I would make a bet...... there isn't one of them that could outdrive me, and I would be right on their rearend the whole way .... sooner or later, they will run out of gas to do the wrong thing.... but I'ld at least be able to notify the police on their location, etc.

The one "kidnapping" with intent to kill them, that I had anything to do with ....that's exactly what I did. Called 911 and after awhile, three vehicles (Hwy Patrol & Sheriff Deputy) came up from behind us, keying off my vehicle description and dispatcher verifying the other vehicle's location to me, and then they moved into position and did a perfect manuever.... one in front , one on the left side and one in the rear.... bumper to bumper and slowed the guy to a stop on the side of the road, then jumped out with guns pulled.

The two men involved, gave up quickly. The woman was safe, and everyone walked away from it. They went to spend a long time courtesy of the state.
    They had shotgun and rifle in the trunk, planned to kill her, and had a shovel in there and a bag to bury her with.

Shooting at a fast moving vehicle .... is a dangerous proposition to the kidnapped person.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I would make a bet...... there isn't one of them that could outdrive me, and I would be right on their rearend the whole way .... sooner or later, they will run out of gas to do the wrong thing.... but I'ld at least be able to notify the police on their location, etc.

The one "kidnapping" with intent to kill them, that I had anything to do with ....that's exactly what I did. Called 911 and after awhile, three vehicles (Hwy Patrol & Sheriff Deputy) came up from behind us, keying off my vehicle description and dispatcher verifying the other vehicle's location to me, and then they moved into position and did a perfect manuever.... one in front , one on the left side and one in the rear.... bumper to bumper and slowed the guy to a stop on the side of the road, then jumped out with guns pulled.

The two men involved, gave up quickly. The woman was safe, and everyone walked away from it. They went to spend a long time courtesy of the state.
    They had shotgun and rifle in the trunk, planned to kill her, and had a shovel in there and a bag to bury her with.

Shooting at a fast moving vehicle .... is a dangerous proposition to the kidnapped person.
    Glad it ended well. I'm pretty gifted behind the wheel myself.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I have taken quite a few auto sections out to the range (and then to the scrapper) and tried a lot of different weapons on them. The best way to stop one with a handgun, i agree, is to stop the driver. Forty fives don't punch through 70's car doors but .357 Mag and Brenneke 12 Guage slugs did. Havent tested a modern door. Taking out the radiator will eventually stop it, but if you have ever seen a demo derby, a car with a leaking rad can run a long time. Hitting a moving tire can be a tough shot too. We used to stand them up on hillsides with a target in the middle and a fishing line to the stick keeping it from rolling. Not much point in trying, if you watch "Cops" on TV one flat desn't slow them down much.
    Last edited by Arborigine; October 12th, 2012 at 12:23 PM.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Senior Moderator
    To add to Lima's post, if you shoot the door you will most likely send door parts flying throughout the car. This shrapnel could injure any passengers, but also the driver.

The Box O' Truth - The Buick O' Truth #3 - Pistols and Car Doors

I would try to shoot the driver through the window, and probably hit the door too. Knowing that I will probably only have 5 or 6 shots, I will try to make them count
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links