Attemped home invasion at my house last night!

This is a discussion on Attemped home invasion at my house last night! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hillhick I agree. Unfortunately, this house was one the better ones, in one of the better areas when we were looking. The ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Attemped home invasion at my house last night!

Quote Originally Posted by Hillhick View Post
    I agree. Unfortunately, this house was one the better ones, in one of the better areas when we were looking. The problem is that this area is booming right now because of the oil field. We have all kinds of people moving in, and not all of them are good. Rentals are hard to come by, and there is a waiting list for them. Prices are double what they are back home, but we moved out here to get work. The rental agreement doesn't allow for dogs. I would love to have me a big old dobie dog, but that isn't going to work for right now. It will have to wait till we can buy a house. We've been shopping for security systems today. I am hoping we can get a good one soon. In the meantime, I am moving downstairs, and the kids are moving up to the master bedroom. At least that will put me inbetween them and any bad guys. You are right about my son too. He was very shook up. My oldest never even woke up, even when the officer came inside to look around. Lol
    Look into SimpliSafe. Inexpensive, easy to install (wireless), no contracts.
    Hillhick likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Bad deal all the way around. Could have gone down a lot worse. Glad nothing happened to you , or to yours.
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillhick View Post
    Thanks y'all. It really has got me thinking. I work some really long hours in the oil field. I was supposed to be working last night, but there was problems with the well. I've been wondering if it would have turned out different if I wasn't there last night to protect them. My wife and I are wanting to go get our CCW Permits together.
    As you already know, you don't need permits to keep guns in your home, in most places. I think it is a good
    idea to get a permit, but they are not needed for home protection.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    Look into SimpliSafe. Inexpensive, easy to install (wireless), no contracts.
    Thanks! I've never heard of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    As you already know, you don't need permits to keep guns in your home, in most places. I think it is a good
    idea to get a permit, but they are not needed for home protection.
    Yes sir! Especially glad to be in Texas where home defense is not a crime!
    darbo likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Very glad everything turned out good for you and your family. VERY scary situation to be in, you seemed to handle yourself, your family and the situation well.

That said, your first thing you said you learned - I don't know if you were exactly in a self defense encounter. You didn't actually have to defend yourself or family (THANK GOD). And before you think I'm just saying this just to be mean, say your wrong, or point out flaws - please don't. I would just encourage you to not think you can handle a SD without problem now. Most people with years of training and that do that type of stuff everyday wouldn't dare make a comment like that. Every situation is different and dangerous and no matter how prepared we are, it can still go wrong and we can still lose.

Very glad to hear your going to get all the things in motion to be better prepared.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Very glad everything turned out good for you and your family. VERY scary situation to be in, you seemed to handle yourself, your family and the situation well.

That said, your first thing you said you learned - I don't know if you were exactly in a self defense encounter. You didn't actually have to defend yourself or family (THANK GOD). And before you think I'm just saying this just to be mean, say your wrong, or point out flaws - please don't. I would just encourage you to not think you can handle a SD without problem now. Most people with years of training and that do that type of stuff everyday wouldn't dare make a comment like that. Every situation is different and dangerous and no matter how prepared we are, it can still go wrong and we can still lose.

Very glad to hear your going to get all the things in motion to be better prepared.
    Let me clarify what I meant. I meant that I now know that I have the fortitude to shoot if necessary. I did not mean that I don't need instruction or training, in fact, I think the exact opposite, I need all I can get. I didn't mean to come across that way. Hope this clears it up.

Paul

You did it right. Thank god everyone is ok!

Distinguished Member
    Oh, yes just reading it over some more - I didn't catch what you meant. Sorry. I have no doubt it just reinforced you thoughts on doing what is neccesary to protect your family.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Look at it as a wake up call. No one hurt and property it seems was intact. Some police departments will have some one come out and do a security overview for you.

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

Glad everyone's ok and I hope he doesn't return. I keep a flashlight be my side at night along with my HD pistol. I also have a monitored security system with every door and window alarmed, including my garage doors. Our room is downstairs and our kids rooms upstairs, but we also keep a monitor on right outside their doors with the receiver in our room. We can hear everything in either room. Baby monitors are inexpensive, and your kids know if something happens you can hear them. Perhaps some walkie talkies also. We used some when we used to go snow skiing. Just some thoughts to get you through the rental house dilema.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    You done fine.

The thug didn't want things outside, that is why he was breaking in.
    Your wife needs to become proficient with a firearm, if she isn't already.
    The goon could be staking your place out for when you are gone @ work.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Glad you and the family are safe.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Wife needs additional training.

Praise God that you and your familiy are safe !!! You may need to have a plan and practice it with your family of what they need to do and where they need to go in case something like this happens. That way they are out of the way, etc. God Bless
    tcox4freedom and RAL like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links