Attemped home invasion at my house last night! - Page 3

Attemped home invasion at my house last night!

This is a discussion on Attemped home invasion at my house last night! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seems you did everything right. Lots of good ideas here for more security. Be careful of placing anything over your bedroom windows that could prevent ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Attemped home invasion at my house last night!

Distinguished Member
    Seems you did everything right. Lots of good ideas here for more security. Be careful of placing anything over your bedroom windows that could prevent family from escaping from a fire.
    RAL likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillhick View Post
    I agree. Unfortunately, this house was one the better ones, in one of the better areas when we were looking. The problem is that this area is booming right now because of the oil field. We have all kinds of people moving in, and not all of them are good. Rentals are hard to come by, and there is a waiting list for them. Prices are double what they are back home, but we moved out here to get work. The rental agreement doesn't allow for dogs. I would love to have me a big old dobie dog, but that isn't going to work for right now. It will have to wait till we can buy a house. We've been shopping for security systems today. I am hoping we can get a good one soon. In the meantime, I am moving downstairs, and the kids are moving up to the master bedroom. At least that will put me inbetween them and any bad guys. You are right about my son too. Lol
    Good on changing the sleeping arrangements. Good on shopping for security systems. Meanwhile, till you find something
    you think is really good yet affordable, you need to know that there are very inexpensive glass break/vibration detectors which
    can be installed on your windows. The ones I have sell 2 for 4.99.
    They are very reliable, make a racket if the window is bonged, don't go off by accident, so unless your kid hit the window,
    you can be sure someone did. Yet they are not so sensitive that a wind gust will set them off.

I got mine at Harbour Freight, have had them for a couple of years now and love them. Just having them ON the window
    visible to someone who approaches your home might be a deterrent. They may not know how simple it is and that it isn't
    connected to a central station, plus they can never be sure that you don't have additional layers. Just on appearance
    you send a message that the house is protected.

You can also purchase very inexpensive motion sensor alarms for various places in your home, and motion sensors which
    turn lights on at strategic places inside. There are plenty to choose from in places like Harbour Freight, Home Depot, Lowes,
    Target, Walmart. Some basic noise making and light flipping doesn't have to cost you a bundle.

Good luck.

Is the kid positive he saw a man? Sometimes weird stuff happens.

Oh, not very long ago I was sitting and typing right where I am now. I heard a loud bang at my window
    and the window alarm went off. As I looked up (the blinds were closed), I thought I saw the shadow of an arm
    move across the window. Non-emergency number was called and an officer showed up.

We couldn't find foot prints under the window, even though the ground was soft from recent rain. No neighbor saw
    anything, nothing was amiss in my back yard, or front yard. It was a puzzle. The officer walked around the neighborhood and looked in some back yards, took the report, and left...there really was nothing more to be done.

About a week later the same thing happened, only the blinds weren't drawn so tightly, and I got a better look at
    what was at my window--- a crazy squirrel.

He'd throw himself on the window and his body turned sideways against the glass as his head hit. From inside and
    through closed blinds, it looked like a dark jacketed arm quickly being pulled away from the window.

That is why I asked if you looked for any footprints, or if the police looked for any footprints beneath your son's window.

Of course, your son did actually say he saw the man. Still, you just might be fretting over something weird and stupid
    and not dangerous. Funky things happen, like crazy squirrels and shadows.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Welcome to the forum, very glad you and yours are safe! I am glad you took the time to share your experience here, lesson learned for me as much as for you... Somehow it makes it that much more REAL to hear it from someone on a forum... I think I would feel very vulnerable sleeping on another end of the house from my kids. I don't have kids and never thought about it before but, wow what a scary thought.

The up side is that you and your family are all safe and you ALL share an increased vigilance and commitment to enhancing security!

I commend you on keeping a very cool head in a VERY stressful and chaotic situation and the leadership you showed to your family!

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I think you did vey well. One thought for you--is to buy a couple of very bright tactical flashlights, maybe use some velcro and velcro them to the doorframes in the hallway or to the bedrooms--this way, a flashlight can always be at hand........
    oneshot and RAL like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I like that velcro idea. But also maybe consider your next firearm purchase one with a rail so you can attach a light or light/laser combo. The more advantages you can give yourself the better.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Good job. Get a security system and a dog. Dogs know things, they hear better and can sense people before we can.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Get a good flashlight, one that takes the lithium batteries (they dont leak) or recharges quickly. Train to shoot with it in your weak hand. Practice shooting in low light, no light. Rail mounted lights are nice but where the light goes so does the muzzle. You may not always want to put sights on the item you are shining the light at. Consider a light with a strobe function.

Learn how to hold the light under, and next to your HD gun by crossing your wrists. Youtube can help here with techniques. If you have cop friends they can show you. Glad to hear everybody is ok.
    PROTECT THE FLOCK, CONFRONT THE WOLF.....

Stuff comes and goes. I've had money. I've been broke. As long as I have my health and my family, everything else will work out ok.
    You have your priorities straight.

Thanks y'all. It really has got me thinking. I work some really long hours in the oil field. I was supposed to be working last night, but there was problems with the well. I've been wondering if it would have turned out different if I wasn't there last night to protect them. My wife and I are wanting to go get our CCW Permits together.
    Permits, firearms, and training are great ideas. My best advice, is two words......German Shepherd. We have two and the big male sleeps with our kids. I don't worry a lick about bad guys getting in or even trying.

baronshadtoday.jpg
    tcox4freedom likes this.

I'm glad that you and your family are okay. Sounds like YOU were watching over your family. If God was watching over you, the BG would have picked another house. Anyway, they say God helps those who help themselves. Its a good thing you were armed and that everyone in your family is safe. Its definitely a good thing that you don't secure your house with your finger on the trigger since you have kids. Even though there aren't any kids in my home, I have gone over this with my fiance that if we investigate a bump in the night, we point the gun at the floor with fingers off the trigger because her daughter comes home from college from time to time.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    I'm glad that you and your family are okay. Sounds like YOU were watching over your family. If God was watching over you, the BG would have picked another house. Anyway, they say God helps those who help themselves. Its a good thing you were armed and that everyone in your family is safe. Its definitely a good thing that you don't secure your house with your finger on the trigger since you have kids. Even though there aren't any kids in my home, I have gone over this with my fiance that if we investigate a bump in the night, we point the gun at the floor with fingers off the trigger because her daughter comes home from college from time to time.
    Triggers are for shooting. I never touch it unless I am going to shoot. Keeping you finger on the trigger only works in the movies.
    Hopyard likes this.

Your GS is a beauty.................have a 4yr.old male also............wanna climb through my window at night in the dark ? All you'll see if anything will be maybe his eyeballs and white teeht maybe.... before he feeds on your rib cage....good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Permits, firearms, and training are great ideas. My best advice, is two words......German Shepherd. We have two and the big male sleeps with our kids. I don't worry a lick about bad guys getting in or even trying.

baronshadtoday.jpg
    Is that a bear with your son? Just kidding. Great looking Shepard. I have had them in the past. My only real complaint about shepards is the shedding hair. Plus I feel bad for the ones who have to live in the Texas desert. Could you imagine having to wear a coat in the summer downt here? That's why we will get a doberman when we buy a house. They have much shorter hair, and they are very protective like the shepards. If I was going to live up north in a cooler climate, I would get a shepard for sure.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Glad you were able to prevent anything tragic. Usually my Lab/Rot mix lets me know when anyone comes off the highway or walks past. I am fenced, but my neighbor's GS learned to stay in a Radio fence quickly. While my dog was sleeping in the living room this morning, a wild turkey was pecking at the dog door here in my home office. It would have had a rude surprise when i whacked him with a yardstick!
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Glad you are all ok. Sounds like you did very well. The only thing that comes to mind is maybe you want to get a good flashlight. Room lights only light up yourself in the inside which can make you all targets from someone that you can't see outside.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links