Attemped home invasion at my house last night!

This is a discussion on Attemped home invasion at my house last night! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hillhick Is that a bear with your son? Just kidding. Great looking Shepard. I have had them in the past. My only ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Attemped home invasion at my house last night!

Quote Originally Posted by Hillhick View Post
    Is that a bear with your son? Just kidding. Great looking Shepard. I have had them in the past. My only real complaint about shepards is the shedding hair. Plus I feel bad for the ones who have to live in the Texas desert. Could you imagine having to wear a coat in the summer downt here? That's why we will get a doberman when we buy a house. They have much shorter hair, and they are very protective like the shepards. If I was going to live up north in a cooler climate, I would get a shepard for sure.
    Don't want to derail your thread but let me say a couple things:
    1. Our Shepherds live indoors with us, seasonal shedding never happens and the small amount they do shed is very tolerable
    2. The heat isn't that bad for them because again, they stay inside (keeping a dog in your back yard does little to protect your family/stuff).
    3. Dobe's are great dogs, but much more independent than a Shepherd.

In other words, they can chill by themselves and be perfectly fine, a Shepherd "needs" his owners/family. This is what draws me to the breed. I have trained Schutzhund dogs in years past not only for myself but others as well. From Malinois to Dobe's to Rotty's to Shepherds, I've seen them all. All good dogs, but the Shepherd is the best for family. The Malinois is the best for killing people. They are like Shepherd a strung out on crack!

2. Remove Ads

Glad you and yours are doing OK.

I also recommend giving the bad guys as many obstacles as you can. Thorn bushes, flood lights, window upgrades, deadbolts, alarm system, dogs, then yourself. These are all relatively inexpensive and great investments to make for your family's safety. Well, dogs can be expensive, because you'll find yourself doting on them and you'll soon realize they eat better than you do, ha.

My wife and I have a Minihuahua (Miniature Pinscher/Chihuahua) that we rescued from a neglectful situation. She has a better ear than her big sister, a Pitador (Pit Bull/Labrador). Together, they're an alarm system on their own.

In any case, good luck with any improvements to security defenses. You're making the right moves and have your priorities straight. Good man.

Windows are easy to get through, though if done hastily it can be noisy. Needn't be noisy, though, so keep that in mind.

Doors can be kicked in, most fairly easily. A beefy frame and hardware can help buy time.

An alarm system with a perimeter-only mode can help. If in a two-story, arming the perimeter and just the first story can work, though it'll take diligence from family members to not set off things if stepping downstairs before it's disarmed.

Stand-alone sensor/alarm units can be acquired for individual windows, or areas you want to sense motion. These can work well, adding to the wired alarm. Useful for travel, too (ie, hotel rooms).

Bright lights triggered by motion+night surrounding the house and guarding entry points can be useful. They can help somewhat blind an intruder, while keeping your vision of the surrounding area high and keeping you beyond the assailant's vision. Very useful, if a true intruder bent on entering your home at night. If near neighbors, it can also help them see any assailants outside (if they're looking).

Tougher border hedges surrounding the home, particularly near easily-entered windows. Makes it harder, noisier to get to the window. Harder (or more painful) to exit, but that might be a small price to pay.

Sounds like you did well. Glad your child wasn't harmed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Thumbs up for not drawing on your kid, that shows good discipline and target recognition. And thumbs down for not drawing. this may be armchair quarterbacking right now, but in a dark house, the intruder could've gotten past the kid, or maybe have come in a different way than what you had thought, and then you would be face to face with him. I'd suggest a tac-light on your gun. Definately set down a plan of action with your boy for future events. All together, whats done is done and all three of you are alive. That's what matters and not whatever ninja tactics you could've employed at the time. Good job, keep your head on a swivel.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You did everything right. You're exactly the type of Carry Permit holder that we need more of.
    Glad that it all worked out OK for you.
    I concur.....you noted many important points that many miss. I look at a carried pistol in the same manner I do home insurance. You will most likely never need it, but if you do, you are damn grateful you have it (or had it)!
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

Attemped home invasion at my house last night!

Quote Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post
    Very glad you and the family are OK. Especially like your priorities, in that family is to be protected, and stuff is stuff.
    Agreed. You did s great job.

Sounds like you did the right thing man. Glad to know everybody's safe. Try not to loose to much sleep over and be thankful for your loved ones.

Definitely a scary situation. Lots of good advice and tips already. Glad you handle it well and everyone is safe.

Something I find cheap & helpful: good night lights. Not the dim kind, but the kind that allow you to see OK. Hallways, living rooms - that is no time to stumble and fall! Splurge, and put them in places that prevent dark corners.

Pity dogs aren't allowed. Mine act incredibly lazy, but are very alert to odd things in the night.

RAL
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillhick View Post
    The rental agreement doesn't allow for dogs.
    Suggestion:
    Go buy an old well used, very large dog house. Put some old straw in and around it and stomp it into the ground unless you have room for the dog house on some cement. Attach an old large link chain with a big clip at the end to something substantial. Find a large beat up bowl and put some water in it (it should be placed so it can be easily seen and reached by the chain). The end of the chain with the clip should be lying on the ground near the front door. Put up really scary “Beware of the Dog” signs where they cannot be missed (there are some really impressive ones out there with pictures of dogs with blood dripping from their fangs). Put down a door mat with references to said scary dog. My favorite: NO Bark – All BITE! Find a really big well chewed cow bone and throw it out in the yard. If you can find some really big fake dog poo . . . even better!

Where ever that big dog is, it’s not on its chain. Criminals will assume it’s in the house with you if you stage it well.

If an unknown person ever knocks on your door always yell, “Back *fill in scary dog name* you are not allowed to eat them yet” BEFORE opening the door (as though you are trying not to let the dog past you). Before actually talking to whoever it is, yell back into the house, "*fill in big scary guy name* will you come hold *dog name* for a second?”

It sounds like the BG was expecting an empty house. He ran when the lights came on and he wasn't afraid of making some noise. You might try a few things to make the house appear more occupied. Maybe turn on some outside lights or even an inside night-light. Just a thought.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Glad you and the family are ok... not to be hard on you but this here are somethings I noticed from your post.... This is all based on my training. First you need to have a RELIABLE light especially in your house to ID friend from foe. Second use the darkness to your advantage. That BG has not a clue how your house is set up on the inside or where cover is and items are placed. Next time tell you wife to leave the lights off.

Last have a SHTF plan as in your sons/wife saying/yelling their own names or yours(or code words) so you can identify quickly where they are and if they are coming towards you or hiding, or need help.

Like you said a lot of training is needed. Bring your wife with you to the Pistol Class, just because she does or doesn't want to carry outside of the home, doesn't mean she should be totally defenseless inside the home.
    Stay Safe
    oneshot likes this.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    Glad you and the family are ok... not to be hard on you but this here are somethings I noticed from your post.... This is all based on my training. First you need to have a RELIABLE light especially in your house to ID friend from foe. Second use the darkness to your advantage. That BG has not a clue how your house is set up on the inside or where cover is and items are placed. Next time tell you wife to leave the lights off.

Last have a SHTF plan as in your sons/wife saying/yelling their own names or yours(or code words) so you can identify quickly where they are and if they are coming towards you or hiding, or need help.

Like you said a lot of training is needed. Bring your wife with you to the Pistol Class, just because she does or doesn't want to carry outside of the home, doesn't mean she should be totally defenseless inside the home.
    Stay Safe
    I appreciate the critique. That is really why I posted this here. I knew that y'all would let me have the good, the bad, and the ugly of it all. I am really looking forward to going to CCW class with my wife. We are just trying to figure out when would be the best time. I work insane hours, sometimes as many as 100 hours in 1 week, and we are trying to fix up property back home to sell, so time really is at a premium. Luckily my wife is very open to CC and wants to get the permit. In fact, she made me promise when I bought my Kimber, that I had to get her a gun. We spent last weekend looking at a local gun show. I think she has it figured out finally. She is wanting a PM45. After shooting my kimber, she decided that she could handle a 45, so that's what she wants to get for carry.

A very scary night it was. you have summed up your discussion very well. I am totally agree with you. I think it is lake of technique in our construction ideas. We must have a good security system in our houses to save us from such accidents.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    The smartest thing you did was putting your life and the safety of your family above protecting material things that can be replaced. That's why you have property insurance.

As they say the best offense is a good defense.

Sounds like you have your priorites straight.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links