Defensive Carry Positions and Being Grabbed From Behind

This is a discussion on Defensive Carry Positions and Being Grabbed From Behind within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What are anyone's thoughts on holster/on-body conceal carry locations in the event that one is grabbed (without warning) from behind? I'm assuming 1) you cannot ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Defensive Carry Positions and Being Grabbed From Behind

What are anyone's thoughts on holster/on-body conceal carry locations in the event that one is grabbed (without warning) from behind?

I'm assuming 1) you cannot see your attacker and did not see him coming;

2) You have limited mobility (arms pinned to sides) ect,

Is there any conceal carry position that might make escaping such a scenario feasible?

For more info poster is a 5'6'' 135 pound female with not very sharp reflexes who is also left-handed.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    For such a situation, I don't think a gun is going to be of much help, at least until you are able to get clear and free enough to deploy a weapon. This is one of the reasons that some basic self defense training would be beneficial as there are techniques to get out of such holds, but the mechanics of them are pretty much counter to the normal intuitive reaction to try and pull away. For what it's worth, I being significantly larger, have been put flat on my back by a 5'6'' 135 pound female while practicing such techniques.
    Hopyard likes this.

Ever seen Miss Congeniality? Solar plexus, instep, nose... groin!!

In all seriousness, if you are pinned from behind, depending on where your arms are, I can't think of too many practical carry positions that would help you. Possibly a front hip carry, which many small women (myself included) find uncomfortable, especially when sitting. Even if you could get to the gun, is the plan to fire the gun blindly behind you? You would have to worry about the attacker getting it from your already jeopardized hands. Personally, I would just put up a fight and hit as many delicate areas as I could until I was far enough away to draw without fear of my gun being taken.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Or your next move is to bend over and kiss.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    The gun is not always the proper tool. Sometimes you have to fight to a position in which it is either appropriate to draw, or, preferably, unnecessary.

Being grabbed and pinned from behind is a bad situation. My suggestion is to:

1) Try to not let that happen, obviously. Situational awareness is key, here.
    2) If you have not already done so, get some basic self defense training. You might also find a trainer that can teach you some weapon retention techniques.

*If you are still concerned about a gun-grab, you could look at some form of retention holster, that is, one with a thumb break or locking mechanism. These will make a grab more difficult, but they will also make your draw/presentation more complex.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by Pperseid99 View Post
    What are anyone's thoughts on holster/on-body conceal carry locations in the event that one is grabbed (without warning) from behind?

I'm assuming 1) you cannot see your attacker and did not see him coming;

2) You have limited mobility (arms pinned to sides) ect,

Is there any conceal carry position that might make escaping such a scenario feasible?

For more info poster is a 5'6'' 135 pound female with not very sharp reflexes who is also left-handed.
    Pocket or apex carry is about the best I can think of.

No spell-check with Tapatalk, sorry.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

A person who grabs you from behind will be unbalanced because he or she is bracing against you. Sink down, spread out your arms while turning to look behind and if you can coordinate those movements, you can throw the attacker down.

That's an internal art response and takes practice - against various kinds of grabs and different sized attackers.

If you don't have time and the ability to train like that, then stomp the foot, reverse head-butt, etc. But that's not always effective. Because when you do that, you're thrashing around, which is what the attacker expects and, as is noted earlier by noway2 above, the best counters are non-intuitive.

Personally, I'd prefer my attacker grab me in some way, to be that close. If I can feel your weight and balance, some kind of pressure and mass and velocity, I can work with that. If the attacker is 6 feet or more away, then maybe it's better to go with the firearm or try running. The reason I'm going on at length here is that the urban warrior mindset requires action that meets the circumstances. Only in a small number of scenarios is a firearm going to be the optimal tool.

When it is, though, it's pretty good.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    Hopefully your SA will keep you out of a situation you described. If however you find yourself in that situation. Stomp to the foot, and if that fails, headbutt into the face.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

You need one of these, then you should be fine.

iseeeesyou.jpeg

Senior Moderator
    Your pistol may not help you in that situation. I have a KaBar TDI Last Ditch Knife affixed to my belt buckle. If I can get one hand to my belt buckle then I can grab it and use it to help me fight free.
    dukalmighty likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

At that point I don't think a handgun will help you much.

If you try to draw your handgun your motions will be restricted. Even if your hands are being held near your gun, you may only be able to draw it partiality or just out of the holster. Now there will be a fight for the gun.

I think a better option is to use your other weapons. You have your head, fist, palm, fingers, elbows, knees, feet etc all as weapons. You can use a combination of them to break the initial contact and gain some distance.

Here is a link to one of many examples.

Krav Maga defense for bear hug from behind arms caught - YouTube
    Hopyard, AOK and tcox4freedom like this.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Last time I head butted someone, I think it hurt me more! There's got to be a better way.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thanks all for the recommendations. I agree it is a difficult scenario with a gun or other weapon. I will check out some of the other self-defense strategies you mentioned.

Knife... And I like the belt buckle idea.. But, I can probably get to my leek (Kershaw).

If I can cut him, he's gonna let go.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    I think you already received the basic advice you need. Try to get to a Krav class or to some other
    type of self defense class which teaches practical solutions to that particular problem. If you can find a
    Krav instructor you might even be able to learn the basics in a few minutes; and variations from that.

I'm not so sure that a knife worn on the belt will help much if you can't break free, and if the BG gets it he has something
    to use on you he may not have brought.

As others pointed out, that is not an especially difficult hold to break and counter from. There are a couple of
    additional grabs that cowardly predators might make, trying to pull you by your hair and neck. Again, these are not
    hard attacks to defeat and counter, but someone has to show you how. You can read the Krav books and
    watch the videos till the cows come home. There is no substitution for doing it with an instructor and practicing it
    with and against opponents of various body builds.

The gun isn't the answer to every problem. It is an answer to some problems. We need to know the difference,
    and use the correct tool for the job / situation.

I'm curious now. Is there a reason why you are concerned about that particular type of attack? Is there a particular
    individual you fear will try that?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links