Dogs off the leash in my neighborhood

This is a discussion on Dogs off the leash in my neighborhood within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "Bpttom line---"enhance" your comments to dispatcher about aggressive," Not a good idea when you call is being recorded. That itself may come back to "bite" ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Dogs off the leash in my neighborhood

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Bpttom line---"enhance" your comments to dispatcher about aggressive,"

Not a good idea when you call is being recorded. That itself may come back to "bite" you.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Animal control is a joke. Here in Florida they will do nothing even a person is bitten it will take 2 offenses for them to do anything. That's right..the dog gets a second chance to bite someone. Maybe a small child next time.

This is a good example of laws that are made but not enforced are useless.

I like Mikes description that the dog "goes missing". A dog who has bitten just once I will do what's needed to get rid of him. As Tony Soprano says..."disappear him".
    I am not waiting to see if a dog, running aggressively towards me unleashed, is going to bite me. I will not wait to see if wants to play or wants to bite. The owner is at fault for letting the dog go unleashed and is responsible for it's death.

Overall I have seen more aggressive pit bulls than any other breed.(yes, there are other dangerous breeds also) Please don't show your ignorance by claiming Pit Bulls are no more dangerous than other dogs. This is just NOT true. Their owners seem to like the idea that their dog is the 'Bad Arse' in the neighborhood. With a growing home security mentality more and more people get these dogs and can't handle them.

Dog crap is another topic that applies to all breeds of dogs. It appears to me the lower the owners IQ... the more likely he is to let his dog crap anywhere they want(except in his yard). You know who you are...MORON!
    Thats the problem, the owners want the bad *** dog and thus make it that way, rather than properly training and socializing the dog.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Im liking the bear spray, Thanks, I'll look for it.. In reply to someones post about telling the neighbors ill put a cap in their dog, NOO I hear ya thats a no no, and most of the people are just dumb, because we live in a suburb area, with a major road dwon the street.. My dog is a shepherd who is real affectionate with people but not so with dogs, so I try to avoid the other dogs unless we are between fences, the spca told us that she likes big male dogs but not little male or female dogs..Anyway thanks for all ur input..

If you can shootand murder a dog in Florida, can you shoot an alligator too?

Quote Originally Posted by rogertc1 View Post
    If you can shootand murder a dog in Florida, can you shoot an alligator too?
    Dogs can't be murdered. No more than chickens, fishing worms or cattle can be. Murder is when a person unlawfully takes the life of another human.

Michael

VIP Member
    Dogs can be killed wrongfully. What you choose to call that is up to you (I have and will continue to call that murder). Regardless of what you choose to call it, it is a criminal act if you aren't justified in using deadly force.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member
    My town is the same way. If no one is bitten the cops won't even show an interest in helping you. Also, no animal control officer after 5pm. Prime time? I also carry pepper spray when walking my dogs. Lots of strays in this neighborhood. Detours to avoid them are frequent. Have not yet been chased or threatened, but I am prepared to defend myself and my dogs if I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Dogs can be killed wrongfully. What you choose to call that is up to you (I have and will continue to call that murder). Regardless of what you choose to call it, it is a criminal act if you aren't justified in using deadly force.
    I didn't really chose it so much as I used the common English definition of murder in the dictionary. I see no reason to change the meaning of a word just to make a particular group feel better.

Michael

StarPD45
    "Disappear light"
    Use a live trap, remove the collar, assuming there is one, tie the dog to the fence at animal control. Even if the owner comes to pick it up, they will have to pay for boarding, at the very least.
    I have gotten rid of feral cats that way, but instead of fooling with animal control, (they won't accept cats) I take them for a ride accross the river and release them. Someone elses problem, and no killing.

And yes. Animal control in my area is also all but worthless. If you call after hours, the call goes to police dispatch.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Dogs can't be murdered. No more than chickens, fishing worms or cattle can be. Murder is when a person unlawfully takes the life of another human.

Michael
    You mean homocide? A bunch of crows is a murder.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You mean homocide? A bunch of crows is a murder.
    murder = illegal homicide. Homicide = killing of a human.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by StarPD45 View Post
    "Disappear light"
    Use a live trap, remove the collar, assuming there is one, tie the dog to the fence at animal control. Even if the owner comes to pick it up, they will have to pay for boarding, at the very least.
    I have gotten rid of feral cats that way, but instead of fooling with animal control, (they won't accept cats) I take them for a ride accross the river and release them. Someone elses problem, and no killing.

And yes. Animal control in my area is also all but worthless. If you call after hours, the call goes to police dispatch.
    No killing by you maybe. What do you think us rural folks do with those unwanted animals you dump on us?

Michael

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Here in CA where everything is governed by law its perfectly legal to shoot dogs not controlled by there owners. A dog killing, injuring, or even just worrying my livestock through the fence can legally be shot by the livestock owner or his representative.

One of our biggest problems here is that people from the neighboring city's dump there unwanted dogs and cats here. I guess they think they will find a nice ranch to live on. But most starve, get eaten by other predators, or turn to killing to survive. Those are mostly not afraid of people making them extra dangerous.
    Most of the ranches here have a shoot on sight policy. DR

Unfortunately many, if not most people do not understand the social dynamics of dogs - that combined with irresponsible ownership can put their dogs and others in danger.

I have GSD and she is the world to me, and I am sensitive to others that feel the same way of these family members; however, some time ago, if someone asked, I would have said that I would not hesitate to use lethal force to stop a charging or attacking dog. Intellectually, I still feel that way, but this past summer I was put into that very scenario – I drew, but did not shoot.

It was late in the evening and as I was walking back up my driveway after putting out the garbage, an aggressive dog came out of nowhere and charged me. Interestingly, I was able to review this event on my security cameras. As an aside, it was a great opportunity to review and critique my training. As fast as it was charging me, I drew and had the dog on point, but I hesitated. In that hesitation, the animal stopped it its tracks about 12 feet from me. Someone suggested the dog may have been sprayed before and my posture reminded him of that experience. He continued to exhibit aggressive behavior, but walked around me and left.

Now, given my actions, this ended well. I didn’t dispatch someone’s dog and I avoided the drama it would have caused in my neighborhood. But those actions were tactically wrong. Had that dog not stopped, there would not have been enough time for me to act, and this could have ended very differently. If it were to happen again, I know what I should do, but you never know what you will do until the time when you must make that decision.

On the discussion of OC spray, I carry that too. All sprays are not created equal and there is a huge delta in their performance. In short, I strongly recommend Fox Labs.

Glad it appears the dog owners are cooperating with you on keeping them put up.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links