Dogs off the leash in my neighborhood

This is a discussion on Dogs off the leash in my neighborhood within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like cats...I just can't eat a whole one....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Dogs off the leash in my neighborhood

I like cats...I just can't eat a whole one.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 2700 View Post
    Unfortunately many, if not most people do not understand the social dynamics of dogs - that combined with irresponsible ownership can put their dogs and others in danger.
    Once a "social dynamic" clamps onto my arm or leg with full force, the "understanding" is clear. Unwarranted, unprovoked attack is what it is.
    Sig35seven likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Once a "social dynamic" clamps onto my arm or leg with full force, the "understanding" is clear. Unwarranted, unprovoked attack is what it is.
    Within the scope of the post, I'm not sure how you think that is social dynamics. Nonetheless, the quote is directed toward owners not victims. Specifically, irresponsible owners.

Used to be problem for us, too. Used to be. There is no animal control here, so protocol is:

1. Friendly dogs with no collar are strays (probably dumped). They get taken to the animal shelter. If the owner finds them before they get put to sleep, he has to pay bail to get them back.

2. Friendly dogs with a collar & ID tag are taken back to the owner for a discussion. Future incidents are handled in accordance with the manners of the dog and the owner.

3. Unfriendly, skittish dogs on my property are run off by whatever means necessary to discourage future visits.

4. Aggressive dogs on my property 'disappear'. I have not seen them. So sorry.

Signed, your neighbor.
    BurgerBoy, mlr1m and paullie like this.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Within the scope of the post, I'm not sure how you think that is social dynamics.
    I don't. The originator of that phrase in the earlier post did.

Hence, the quotes around the phrase.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I don't. The originator of that phrase in the earlier post did.

Hence, the quotes around the phrase.
    I am who you are referring to as the originator of the phrase in the earlier post, and while I am not the "originator" of the scientific term, I am authoritative to the intent of my use of the term in my post. I made no reference to a relationship of an unprovoked attack and a social dynamic.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "Bpttom line---"enhance" your comments to dispatcher about aggressive,"

Not a good idea when you call is being recorded. That itself may come back to "bite" you.
    Who exactly is going to argue with my recorded "enhanced comment" and who is going to know it is enhanced? The dog? If it gets someone to take care of the matter before I watch it rip the throat out of a child, it is not "enhanced" anymore, it was "the right thing to do". I see an unleashed loose pit bull running around, I will report it the way I actually see it---I see a dangerous and aggressive dog--period/end of story
    TonyDTrigger likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Who exactly is going to argue with my recorded "enhanced comment" and who is going to know it is enhanced? The dog? If it gets someone to take care of the matter before I watch it rip the throat out of a child, it is not "enhanced" anymore, it was "the right thing to do". I see an unleashed loose pit bull running around, I will report it the way I actually see it---I see a dangerous and aggressive dog--period/end of story
    Some DA with a lot of time on his hand, and often the truth does come out. It referred to as filing a false report. You can't claim a guy has a gun when he doesn't. There's a penalty for that, too. Of course like everything, it's not illegal until one gets caught. So if you feel "enhancing" a 911 call is the right thing to do, dial away.

As for me, if I see a dog running loose I consider a threat, I'll call animal control and inform them. If it attacks, I'll call 911--probably right after I shoot it. But I won't make up a story and waste 911's time.
    mlr1m likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I am who you are referring to as the originator of the phrase in the earlier post, and while I am not the "originator" of the scientific term, I am authoritative to the intent of my use of the term in my post. I made no reference to a relationship of an unprovoked attack and a social dynamic.
    Yes, 2700, I know that.

And it should be clear from my reply that a "social dynamic clamping onto me" was my facaetious euphemism for a dog, and the reply in general related to what dogs do (and what justifies an effective response): attack without being deliberately provoked.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Here is the thing I have to walk pebbels bout three times a day (she has never been out side with out leash) I have had few times have to scoop her up from un leashed dogs down range. Peb is bout
    3 pounds soaking wet . My thing after seeing other threads here on it is keep a good SA before hand.
    I have never had to do any thing yet but the plan for me is scoop Peb up left hand reach back right rear pocket EDC blade is first action if needed .

And it should be clear from my reply that a "social dynamic clamping onto me" was my facaetious euphemism for a dog, and the reply in general related to what dogs do (and what justifies an effective response): attack without being deliberately provoked.
    Yes, I fully understood that then and now.

When I pointed out that the scope of social dynamic did not include your, “facaetious euphemism for a dog” and I wasn’t sure how you did, you said you didn’t, but I did. Well, I don’t.
    NRA Certified Instructor - RSO - Life Member

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
    -Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I'm a dog lover and my dog has helped my thru 2 heart attacks but the last loose dog that bit me died

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Film them, and call animal control. I would not act directly unless attacked.
    marcclarke likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Some DA with a lot of time on his hand, and often the truth does come out. It referred to as filing a false report. You can't claim a guy has a gun when he doesn't. There's a penalty for that, too. Of course like everything, it's not illegal until one gets caught. So if you feel "enhancing" a 911 call is the right thing to do, dial away.

As for me, if I see a dog running loose I consider a threat, I'll call animal control and inform them. If it attacks, I'll call 911--probably right after I shoot it. But I won't make up a story and waste 911's time.
    I still do not get your point. Exactly how is this DA with time on his hands going to question this dog?---ya know the dog who is going to tell the DA that he was not barking and did not realize he was out wandering without his master. You equate this to yelling fire in a theatre or placing a fake bomb threat. Odds are any dog not on a leash will "bark"--I guess you will feel better if I tell you that I do not like it when a dog barks at me and I feel threatened when they do. OK?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I did nothing of the sort.

The poster I was referring to suggested "enhancing" a call to 911 to get a faster response. I equated that to making a false report, such as reporting a suspicious man as having as gun to get faster response when I saw no gun at all.

No where did anyone imply some DA would question a dog. I have no idea where or how you came up with that.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links