Dogs off the leash in my neighborhood

This is a discussion on Dogs off the leash in my neighborhood within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I love Dogs, i dont like the thought of ever having to be put in the position of shooting someones animal, However I have a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Dogs off the leash in my neighborhood

Dogs off the leash in my neighborhood

I love Dogs, i dont like the thought of ever having to be put in the position of shooting someones animal, However I have a puppy a year old german Shepherd that is not a threat, and there are many people in my area who think its ok to leave their dogs off the leash (even though its illegal here) And many if not all are pittbulls. I had one chase us outside my house the other day, I was able to run back in my house in time. I dont think that dog was big threat but I dont know. My dog is great with people but not a huge fan of small dogs so my dog may get scared and provoke the pitt to attack. Its a nice area here, but people are not to smart leaving their dogs off the leash, even other neighbors tell me that they get scared because they have children playing outside.. My question is would pepper spray do the trick on a pitt? I would use the pyrimid of force (command, kick or baton, Pepper) before shooting a Dog... LIke I said I love dogs and would not want to be put in that situation, but my dog is my buddy so I'll do what I have to to protect it.. I'd like to talk to these neighbors and tell them to leash up their dogs, and almost want to say hey? here is my firearm and I will use it if need be, but I dont want anyone thinking Im out to hurt an animal or even know I carry for that matter.. what would you guys do?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    If it's against the law I would report it to the police and let them take care of it for you.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

I am not getting bitten, and I will take whatever action is needed to avoid getting bitten. My threshold for deadly force is much lower for an animal than for a person.
    GunTrooper likes this.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

VIP Member
    Pepper spray works on animals. After I've been in the stuff my pit won't come anywhere close to me until I get it washed off.

I would call animal control and let them know about the situation. The dogs need to be on leash or behind a fence for their safety and the safety of the neighborhood.

As far as a threshold for deadly force, I highly suggest nobody shoot a dog if there is any way to avoid it. You may not have a problem with deciding to kill the animal but their owner may decide that's enough to come after you. I'd hate to get in a gun fight simply because I decided it would be OK to shoot a dog rather than escape or evade the situation.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Heard that mace didn't work on dogs for lack of tear ducts however we all know pepper spray affects more than just the eyes. I think its a good option, but I always carry when going for a walk with the kids for the explicit purpose of protection, be it 4 or 2 legged threat.
    mg27 and rdpG19 like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Good pepper spray will deter all but the most determined (or demented) dog, but you need to be aware of which way the wind is blowing.

Deterrence and prevention are far better solutions than shooting people's pets, so pick up the phone when you see dogs running loose in your neighborhood and report them.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Believe me, I would do everything in my power to avoid shooting a Dog. As I said , I like animals and would use pepper or even my boot first, unless my dog is gripped and locked on the neck. I asked a few people to leash up and they were nice about it and said "sure sorry man" so hopefully this will be the last of the unleashed pitts.. Were not in a poor ghetto where Dogs are loose cause they are strays, just lazy people who find it easier to leave dog unleashed and would rather take a chance of it getting hit by a car then walking it

The goal is to not have to even draw my weapon if I can help it. Like i said I have talked to some of the owners and they agreed to leash em up.. but we shall see.. Thanks
    dragongtr likes this.

Yep, I was able to escape by running my butt off to my door in the nick of time.. lol

Use OC it works well. Ask a LEO or animal control officer. Shooting a gun as with any other situation unless your are in peril for you or another's life/ grave bodily harm can cause all sorts of legal issues.

I carry OC and a walking stick (really my monopod) when I am out on my favorite trails shooting pictures.

Sent via Messenger Pigeon
    mg27 likes this.

Running from a dog triggers its' "Prey Instinct" hence a chase - not good for you. OC, a cane, calling authorities, all good. You'll learn a bit about your neighbors too.
    mg27 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    If it's against the law I would report it to the police and let them take care of it for you.
    Sage advice for future reference.

Call me an old soul hense because my world is a dog park. On or off leash, there is no strange scent in this neighborhood.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Pit Bull Myth #1 The locking Jaws.

They don't have locking jaws, they are just stubburn as hell.

OC does work the same on dogs as humans, prolly better on dogs than humans.... Won't work on every single dog, but a huge percentage of them (I would try to find the owner after spraying a dog so it could get medical attention if possible, letting them know they are lucky it just got sprayed and they should learn some responsability).

The other option mentioned, the walking stick, is also a fantastic idea. For one, it can be used as a breaking stick, it can make even the most stubburn pit release when shoved between the upper and lower jaw and torqued one way or the other.

I am the unpopular pit bull activist who believes they are not as bad of a breed as the ignorant public thinks (and get over it I have been attacked by one before and chased by a pack). That said they require responsible owners and the general public needs to be educated on how to deal with them.

The walking stick can help keep your dog behind you, the pit bull in front of you at a distance, and in the event a bad situation does happen, it can help you break it up.
    Rock and Glock, RAL and Darrow75 like this.
    Criminals don't care, not about your life, not about your stuff, not about your animals.....

They are like politiicans, as long as they get what they want, they don't care.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    The two times Ive been in a fight for my life have both been against packs of dogs! Not just dogs barking, But Growling, circling, and snapping! One time I used a shovel on them another time a 22 pistol. Both times they get the idea real quick when they have turned from predators to prey! When you are out walking your dog a lot of people will say carry a walking stick. but with the leash in one hand you only have one free hand for Mace, stick, or gun. My advise is be on record with the police, animal control, and the city. Make them do there job. your neighbors have already told you its a problem. Good luck DR

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    In my area the police refuse to answer animal calls unless someone is bitten. Around here if you are a good neighbor you talk to the owner first. Second, well there is no second. The animal goes missing.

I do have to admit that sometimes we do break that rule. I have returned a neighbors dog to them twice this week while on my midnight walks. At least we figured out how the dog got out of its yard. Its a Great Pyrenees and it uses its claws to climb up the chain link fence. Had never seen one do that before. Now if the owner does not use this information to prevent future escapes I suspect the animal will go missing.

Michael
    MrsHB and rdpG19 like this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links