What constitutes a SHTF situation? - Page 3

What constitutes a SHTF situation?

This is a discussion on What constitutes a SHTF situation? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by searcher 45 What would be a SHTF type event? I believe that the loss of the Rule of Law with no working ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: What constitutes a SHTF situation?

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    What would be a SHTF type event?

I believe that the loss of the Rule of Law with no working 911 response and little or no hope of ROL returning.

The Thin Blue Line is gone and and First Responders, bless them, are not coming (they are looking after their own home etc.)

Life is totally changed and the collapse of society is upon us, due to any one of many causes already names in this thread.

One important point IMO is, know your state laws and if possible stay within them so that if the ROL returns you will have justification for your actions you may have taken during the time WROL.

God bless the Castle Doctrine states, and keep your powder dry!!!!!!

Searcher 45 - sounds a lot like New Orleans after Katrina doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Scramble4a5 View Post
    Searcher 45 - sounds a lot like New Orleans after Katrina doesn't it?
    Yes with a much linger period of time before ROL returns.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I'm a realist, hence I have guns for protection, escape plans for the family and contingency plans for various disasters. I'm also an optimist in that I'm hopeful we would see a reaction more like NYC after 9/11 where everyone pulled together. I wouldn't envision a Katrina happening in Houston or DFW or San Antonio. I could in Chicago or LA though. So comparisons are tough.

Like my fellow statesman says.. Keep your powder dry.

Btw, great thoughts and comments. My brother and I spent an hour last night discussing this on FaceTime.... Then discussing whether an ar or ak would be better and what ammo would be available. Btw, we can all keep our guns... IMHO They'll get us with ammo shortages/ restrictions.

I don't think the OP is completely clueless. Obviously, rifles are useful tools. Some posts have talked about a SHTF scenario where they know they are going to be in a gunfight, e.g. a gang of men high on drugs decide to start raising a ruckus on your block with acts of violence and vandalism. Yeah, a good rifle would be good to have in your home. Then you could move up to tornado or something that knocks out power for a few weeks in a couple counties and citizens start acting unruly. You might need a rifle in that situation, or you might not. I feel like if you are resourceful, you can survive for a week or two with very little preparation. It might be miserable, but clean water is out there and you don't have to eat every day. Then you could move up to fairly wide scale catastrophes like Katrina, where it was essentially anarchy for a while. Again, a good rifle will be useful. It would help to be more prepared with food and water because people are out there looting and it's flooded.

But when I think of SHTF, I feel like many of us are thinking big picture as in a major region of the country loses all modern amenities due to major natural disaster (Yellowstone blowing, California falling into the pacific, meteor, ice age, etc) , extremely high end terrorist attack (nuclear bomb in a major coastal city) , complete financial meltdown (who knows how that would start), or zombie apocalypse.

I find it completely reasonable that people out there prepare for stuff like that, but it is also reasonable that others don't. Some people just don't feel the need to worry about a meteor that is going to hit the earth in 2019. A major SHTF scenario seems extremely rare in the next couple decades. Over thousands of years, maybe it's possible.

With that said, own a rifle.

I think people in society these days would panic a lot easier than they would have in the past. People are spoiled and just not used to having available everything they need or want. For example, if only one serious situation would suddenly develop. Let's say, food supply lines were interupted for a period of time. Fear and panic could cause a series of events to snowball that could not be stopped. Grocery stores would empty, there would be a run on gasoline, and a potential for our monetary system to fail.
    If the internet was still operational then social media would only fuel the fire of fear and mis-information and cause more fear and panic.
    The result could be total lawlessness and violence and some of your neighbors could become your enemies in a potential dog eat dog world.

Heck, even nowadays, people here panic when there is a little snow in the forecast. They rush out to the stores and empty out every bit of the bread, milk, and shovels.

Personaly, I'm not a prepper, but I still stock up on my 7.62 x 39 ammo regularly for a SHTF.
    Scramble4a5 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wingit View Post
    Excuse the stupidity as I am new. What does SHTF mean? Is there a acronym page somewhere?
    Seriously? Just type "shtf" (with or without the double quotes) into any Internet search engine.

You seriously need to improve your Google-Fu, I fear.

Distinguished Member
    I think the biggest threat we face now is an overwhelming cyber attack. The Chinese are testing us all the time, to determine our vulnerabilities. Think about how this country would function without communications. It is a plausible scenario. Lawlessness on an unimaginable scale. All commerce and logistics would stop. Electrical power and other utilities depend on communications. Scary indeed. Things would go bad really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Piratesailor View Post
    Btw, great thoughts and comments. My brother and I spent an hour last night discussing this on FaceTime.... Then discussing whether an ar or ak would be better and what ammo would be available. Btw, we can all keep our guns... IMHO They'll get us with ammo shortages/ restrictions.
    During a SHTF situation I would think that the most available ammo would be whatever the Government forces wherever you are live. In the U.S. I would assume that 5.56 and 9mm would become most available if it isn't already.

Michael

StarPD45
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    My definition of when the SHTF is different than what most here think it is. I see it as anytime you have loss of control of a situation and you need to go hot with guns. Maybe not ever shooting on the street or what not, but I see school shooting and mall shooting where many are killed to be SHTF situations.

Do you think the shooting of many on the street in New York while LE tried to stop one guy was not a SHTF moment?

Situations of mass Panic and killing.

And there is that chance many will actually S^^^ their pants.
    Actually, the police shot the bystanders.

Six months ago I was clueless to SHTF and would have thought most on this board crazy. Now my life is devoted to preparing for SHTF. What will the "event" be? When will it take place? Im trying to get to a state of preparedness where I have done all I can to ensure the survival of my family and those questions don't bother me. Most close to me think I'm a bit crazy now.

I have enough guns/ammo for several years in a civilized "society" over 3000 rounds of "00" Buck for my 2 mossbergs. Over a years worth of food storage and I'm getting a 1500 gallon water tank delivered this week. I have more than enough for my family. I'll be able to bring others in which will be needed for defense.

This past weekend I took a 150 mile road trip with my wife and 2 kids to San Francisco. I took my mossberg, .357, and .40 cal with a few houndred rounds to fight my way home if SHTF while I was there. I was ready to walk home if need be.

If you haven't heard about it google "carrington event" this was a massive solar storm that happened in the mid 1800's, wiped out the telegraph system then but today would cripple our society. We are nearing a peak of solar activity and many noted scientist are saying this could happen again. This is what I'm preparing for, the worst thing I can imagine. If I can ride that out ill be ready for any earthquake or hyperinflation event.

I still enjoy life, even more so now. When I take a soak in my hot tub at night it's extra special when I consider the true luxury that is. Being able to take my kids to an amusement park or movie is a moment I truely cherish where as I took it for granted before. PLAN for the worst HOPE for the best.

Okay I'll be the one to bite, what is TEOTWAWKI ?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brownsbacker View Post
    Okay I'll be the one to bite, what is TEOTWAWKI ?
    The End Of The World As We Know It
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

OK ya'll, go up to the top of the page. Find "Quick Links", and Pull Down the Menu to "Common Acronyms". Just so we're all on the same page, understand of course YMMV.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Several different elements:

As posted above, A) "Civil Unrest......on a massive scale" B)Anything which would make the trucks quit delivering, the lights to go out, the kitchen tap to quit dispensing, and the toilet to quit flushing.

ADD C) An inability of police and or National Guard to function.,

ADD D) An inability of the courts to function

All, lasting more than a few hours of several days and with NO immediate chance of relief.

In my opinion, NOLA was not a SHTF scenario. There was never a complete absence of police.
    The National Guard and General Honore showed up as quickly as could reasonably be expected. There was
    no reason to believe help would NEVER arrive or not arrive within hours or days.
    Unfortunately the police in NO were murdering, looting at mostly had abandoned the city! there's a case where the police stole an injured guys car and killed him to escape the rising water. I cant imagine a more SHTF situation!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links