What constitutes a SHTF situation? - Page 4

What constitutes a SHTF situation?

This is a discussion on What constitutes a SHTF situation? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Walmart runs out of fudgesicles...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: What constitutes a SHTF situation?

Walmart runs out of fudgesicles
    Spade115 and Piratesailor like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Back in 1989 OMNI magazine ran a short story by G. Gordon Liddy entitled Memo To: The President. It was fiction but based on a real-life weakness in our power grid and a possible terrorist attack. It was a riveting read then and I'm not sure much has changed between then and now. I Highly recommend it to everyone, if you can find it.

It seems that a EMP attack either man made or from the Sun could be the worse case SHTF event.

America truly is spoiled and many many have never lived off cement all around (big cities), and know little to nothing about basis survival to thriving with no electricity.

Someone said that the unprepared will be the true zombis in a true SHTF situation.

I love America but Americans as a whole are not even close to being ready for self sustaining life style.
    K7lvo likes this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    SHTF scenarios include:

EMP from nuclear attack, or both

solar storm knocking out all technology

economic collapse

natural disaster that overwhelms all enforcement agencies

hostile invasion(Im watching you Canada.)

suspension of U.S Constitution-I dont believe it would just be the 2nd amendment thats nullified, thanks to the 9th amendment (the one that anti's hate the most),"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people. They would have to burn the whole thing.

disease epedemic-loving the new season of The Walking Dead BTW.

And social upheaval, which I think we may see in about two weeks.

I don't see a collapse of society as being much of a reality. The riots of the '60s were pretty much centralized in certain areas. I do remember hurricane Andrew - I was in S. Fla for that one. I think that qualifies as SHTF as does a Katrina type incident. I'm (mildly) concerned about a Mumbai type incident. No running home for my AK, just fight with what I have on me. That type of attack may come from the ocean (If we get unspotted Haitians and Cubans, why not terrorists), but not necessarily if they bad guys are already here. Food for thought.
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

Senior Moderator
    To me SHTF is a localized disruption of services and a general breakdown of law and order, i.e. Hurricanes, tornado's, riots, earthquakes, power outages for a couple of days etc... It is usually a short duration and the fan does not evenly distribute the fecal matter. Some people get covered and some people only have to deal with a bad smell.

TEOTWAWKI is a disruption for a much larger area and for a long duration, were the fecal matter is piled up really deep for everyone
    oakchas, First Sgt and QKShooter like this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

A turd in the air conditioner is a true SHTF moment
    MIA/POW , Bring em home or Send us back

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    To me SHTF is a localized disruption of services and a general breakdown of law and order, i.e. Hurricanes, tornado's, riots, earthquakes, power outages for a couple of days etc... It is usually a short duration and the fan does not evenly distribute the fecal matter. Some people get covered and some people only have to deal with a bad smell.

TEOTWAWKI is a disruption for a much larger area and for a long duration, were the fecal matter is piled up really deep for everyone AND THE FAN IS NOT RUNNING,
    Fixed it for you

SHTF (as I see it) could be relatively localized, e.g. Katrina, the BIG one they talk about for California, etc. In those kinds of scenarios, you would need to be prepared for self-sustainment for a limited time, and armed defense from looters, rioters, opportunists--should be relatively sort-lived until larger govt agencies showed up in enough density to restore order. The next magnitude of SHTF would be country-wide, perhaps global, and could take the form of economic collapse, to the EMP style variety. If those happened, I would imagine that the Prez would declare martial law. Then things would get "interesting" as food distribution and power generation systems were affected. The need for self-sustainment, private (individual) and group self-protection would need to last for a longer period until civil order, and minimal services were restored.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I agree with pgrass on this one... SHTF is short term... TEOTWAWKI is gonna last longer, lots longer... and we ain't going back from TEOTWAWKI.

After SHTF there is a return to normalcy... it may be slow as in Katrina... or the floods in Iowa in '08, but there is rebuilding going on...

After TEOTWAWKI, rebuilding might occur... but it won't be the same afterward.... Revolutionary War was a TEOTWAWKI event... so was the Civil War, IMO.

There are long term SHTF events as well... the Great Depression... the Great Recession... the former might have been cause for arms to some people... the latter as well, but to lesser degree.

Both can be described kinda like this: "When you think it's bad enough, grab your rifle and run outside. If you're the only one there, it's not time yet!"

In a SHTF scenario, there will be localized groups who are outside with weapons...
    In a TEOTWAWKI scenario... there will be a LOT MORE of 'em

In both cases it can be LEO, or other paramilitary, or military groups. SHTF in NOLA had police Nat. Guard and regular troops...

SHTF in the LA riots had LEO and Korean Shopkeepers.

Revolutionary war and civil war ... EVERYBODY was armed... (well, nearly everybody).

Kent State had Nat. Guard...

and so on...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    That's why I stocked up on food, ammo, batteries, and magazines a long time ago and also added an AR-15 to my other 3 guns. You can naver have too much in a future SHTF situation. My buddies used to laugh at me before for doing that but now they are doing what I am doing.

40 years of darkness, dogs & cats living together, mass hysteria!!!
    CaveJohnson likes this.

......this is when your S hits the fan!!!!!
    CaveJohnson likes this.

And remember the police policy on riots is to contain the situation until it defuses on its own. That is all good if your family is on the outside of the containment area. Kinda a bad thing if you live inside the containment area. And as far NO goes---most of the police were braking into banks, shooting at helicopters and robbing dealers & jewelry stores to assist any citizens in need. OK, that might not be all true. They did manage to protect one elderly woman from herself by taking away her pistol.

When my Directv signal drops out!!!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Hurrican Sandy.......Obama Looses.
    Piratesailor likes this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links