What constitutes a SHTF situation? - Page 5

What constitutes a SHTF situation?

This is a discussion on What constitutes a SHTF situation? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SHTF: When a crisis affects one or more, for a minimal amount of time, until control is regained and things return to normal. TEOTWAWKI: When ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: What constitutes a SHTF situation?

SHTF: When a crisis affects one or more, for a minimal amount of time, until control is regained and things return to normal.

TEOTWAWKI: When a crisis affects a multitude of people, for an extended period of time, normalcy is a memory of our past, and adjustment/survival is of paramount importance...

JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

SHTF was when Dish Network dropped the AMC channel and "The Walking Dead".

SHTF ended this past Sunday when Dish Network settled their dispute with AMC and I was able to watch "The Walking Dead" again.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

one man's SHTF is another man's manageable crisis.

one man's disaster of Biblical proportion's is another man's inconvenience.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    SHTF is here, now, probably a temporary situation lasting a few days/weeks, a riot, looting following a storm and the like.

TEOTWAWKI is long term, years, maybe forever--civilized society extinct for all practical purposes, survival of the fittest (and most prepared).

Not sure I care to survive that latter one.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I had 2 SHTF situations over the weekend...these are true stories, you do not have to adjust your pixel settings.

1) Maybe you need to be familiar with 7-11...if so...I went to the local 7-11 early Saturday and ordered 2 breakfast bites. For those of you on a health food kick, a breakfast bite is a sausage roll about the size of a hotdog. The clerk brought it to the front counter in a small taquita bag. I looked in and to my amazement no hot dog bun. He said "Oh, you want buns. Nobody ever wants buns" In my 30 years of eating this vein clogging mixture, I have never needed to ask for buns for my breakfast bite.

2) McDonalds the same day (you gotta see my arteries). Wife and I go in and order the quarter pounders with cheese meals. We are the poster child for michele obamas fat bodies. The clerk says they are out of quarter pound hamburger patties.

I hid in the car for the rest of the day...it is over!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That ain't nothin'. I won't begin to describe my size or weight, but it pisses SWMBO off big time when my blood tests come back near perfect and chloresterol reading of a mere 131. My doctor says to keep doing what I'm doing but lose weight (?).

I plan on celebretaing with a trip to Burger King!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

CJM
    SHTF=No more bacon.

when Burger King stops selling Whoppers, THAT'S when the shoot has hit the fan!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Piratesailor View Post
    Just my thoughts/ opinion but I think a SHTF scenario will not be sudden but more of the boiled frog.

I think it will start financially with inflation, sky rocketing costs and sections of the country, urban areas specifically, where there will be riots, etc beyond the ability of LE and the NG to physically control or eliminate due

I think this will be mainly large urban cities/metro areas. It will start there and the financial impacts will spread to the middle and upper middle class. I think there will be some minor and some major supply chain interruptions that will lead to dramatic political and cultural shifts as well as geopolitical changes within the US.

This will happen in America as well as the rest of the world. My fear is that a dictatorial nation may get the wrong idea during this time and try to attack us. That will develop into another type of scenario.

Pirate sailor ur so right and I have thought the same thing...
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I think SHTF is essentially WROL. Without Rule of Law. That can be a natural disaster like Katrina, or a man made one like the LA Riots. It can be brief, or prolonged.
    I really dislike the term SHTF. I am also not a fan of the "zombie mania' sweeping the gun world. I respect that the "cool modern theme" brings more attention and sales to the industry, but I just think it's silly, and people take it way too far.

I try to stick to terms taht have concise, definable meanings, such as "WROL"

I do not know why the county Sheriff does not maintain a large reserve posse that is trained and willing to step up when needed?

They (the posse) would be defending their own county and homes within the ROL under the control of the SO.

Cost would not be great and many folks would probably pay for their own training and equipment.

The posse would be held in check by LE and serve much as the Minute Men call ups of old.

In a time of real SHTF or even TEOTWAWKI these trained neighbors and citizens would be life savers.

ROL would be stronger than just the Thin Blue Line because the posse is there to help hold the line.

I also believe that the Sheriff Office should provide firearms training for citizens working toward the goal of real tactical training.

This would give the Sheriff a good list to recruit the posse from and then further train them to respond as needed by SO.

Just my untrained ideas, looking at a problem out side the box.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by lizjimbo View Post
    I had 2 SHTF situations over the weekend...these are true stories, you do not have to adjust your pixel settings.

1) Maybe you need to be familiar with 7-11...if so...I went to the local 7-11 early Saturday and ordered 2 breakfast bites. For those of you on a health food kick, a breakfast bite is a sausage roll about the size of a hotdog. The clerk brought it to the front counter in a small taquita bag. I looked in and to my amazement no hot dog bun. He said "Oh, you want buns. Nobody ever wants buns" In my 30 years of eating this vein clogging mixture, I have never needed to ask for buns for my breakfast bite.

2) McDonalds the same day (you gotta see my arteries). Wife and I go in and order the quarter pounders with cheese meals. We are the poster child for michele obamas fat bodies. The clerk says they are out of quarter pound hamburger patties.

I hid in the car for the rest of the day...it is over!
    1) I ordered a Chili Dog at a hospital cafeteria soon after I moved to the Carolinas and when I took a bite, I didn't get any hot dog. After squeezing the bun, I realized they forgot the dog - it was just chili on a bun. When I took it back, I was chuckling and said that they must have forgot the hot dog, but they can just put it on top of what I had left. She told me, "You didn't order a hot dog, you ordered a chili dog".

2) At a Harris Teeter (grocery store) in Rock Hill, SC I saw a sign in the hot dog section that read "Oscar Mayer Meat Hot Dogs - Buy 2 Get 3 Free". They had "Turkey Franks", "Wieners" and "Beef Franks" all stacked up there so I put 5 packs of Beef Franks in my cart. At check out, they rang up full price so I asked the cashier to see why it didn't register the sale price. She wasn't sure, so she asked another girl in customer service. She looked at the ad in the circular and wasn't sure what the problem was. When I saw the ad, I saw it said Oscar Mayer "Wieners" specifically, so I figured the Beef Franks must not be included. I told the cashier, "No problem, just take them off." Then I told the manager what the sign at the product said and suggested that they change "Meat" to "Wieners" to avoid others making the same mistake. So problem solved, everyone back to their business - until another cashier nearby (about 50-ish) who must have heard the suggestion interjected:

Her: That won't be necessary, the sign says meat hot dogs, those are Beef Franks.
    Me: I know that, but beef is meat.
    Her: No, beef isn't meat. Meat hot dogs are different.
    Me: Are you really saying that beef isn't a meat? (incredulously laughing)
    Her: No, meat is different.
    Me: That, and the sign, might make sense if Oscar Mayer called the wieners "Meat Wieners", but they just say "Wieners" - and it's right above the section that includes all three. But if you don't think anyone else will make the mistake of thinking that beef is also a meat (couldn't keep from laughing as I'm saying that - don't think she appreciated that) than don't bother with the sign, it was just a suggestion.

So she walks off and by this time my cashier and I were laughing as she's finishes ringing me up. I pay, start heading out of the store with my cart, and just before I get to the door I hear a woman's voice yelling - loudly - from about 50 feet away:

Her: (yelling in a GOTCHA tone) SIR, I TALKED TO MY MANAGER AND HE SAID IN THE HOT DOG WORLD, BEEF IS NOT MEAT!

As I shook my head laughing and leaving, I now see everyone in the 8 or 9 checkout aisles between us also laughing.

************************************************** ********************************************

I believe the level of ignorance in this country has crossed the midway point, and we are already on that slippery slope toward widespread SHTF. The only thing left is to just sit back, wait, and enjoy the ride.
    aus71383 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    I see posts on here from time to time as to what someone's gear would be if the SHTF. I see people posting their weapons selections being ARs or AKs for a rifle multiple shotguns and such. What really constitutes a SHTF situation where one would needs to be heavily arms at home or on the street? I can't come up with anything where having a rifle in the public would do someone any good. Carrying an AR around town slung over your shoulder isn't very feasible, and if a SHTF and you needed it you likely won't be able to get to your vehicle. My only SHTF situation I can think of where I would need a where I would need extra firepower and would have ready access to it would be a home invasion with multiple armed aggressors where I'm going to want a rifle. I'm just seeing if I'm missing something.
    How about the LA riots?

Here's a picture of how the Korean shop owners protected their neighborhood.

58852252.jpg
    Ask a Korean!: Ask a Korean! News: Picture from 1992 LA Riot

There have been riots after world series games, NBA championships, etc. All it takes is a few idiots to fuel mob into a frenzy.
    K7lvo likes this.

VIP Member
    I can think of four SHTF situations that have happened in the last 10 years or so.

1) The big blackout in the NE (it didn't cause all sorts of problems but could be ugly if it happened again today).

2) Katrina and it's aftermath.

3) The big tsunami that killed hundreds of thousands of folks in Malaysia and Thailand.

4) Japan's tsunami and nuclear reactor crisis.

All 4 of the above happened and aren't from some fiction book. A BIG earthquake and some nuke plants being damaged could very easily make a large portion of the US uninhabitable causing hoards of folks to flee that area. The refugees would tax other areas economies and bring waves of both violent and nonviolent crime.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Nov 6, 2012
    Vote early, get off the streets.
    CPanther95 likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links