What would you do??

What would you do??

This is a discussion on What would you do?? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, you're in bed it's 2:30am and you hear your car alarm going off. You look out your window and see 2 males in their ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do??

What would you do??

So, you're in bed it's 2:30am and you hear your car alarm going off. You look out your window and see 2 males in their early to mid 20's breaking into your car (which has a valuble stereo system in it). They are wearing baggy clothes and it is dark so you can't tell if they are armed...
    what do you do?
    Step one call the police...what then?
    -- Beware a man with many guns, he probably has an army, be more aware of a man with only one gun...he probably knows how to use it!

depends if you live in the state of MS...where you can now shoot to kill in order to protect yourself, someone else, or your private property.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerNick View Post
    ... in bed ... 2:30am ... see 2 males in their early to mid 20's breaking into your car ...
    Step 1: Call police about an active car theft in progress. Be the eyes and ears, on the phone to dispatch, helping to keep the officers safe.
    Step 2: See step 1.

That's it. Frankly, at 2:30a and in my street clothes, i hardly want to be in the "target zone" when the dispatched officers arrive. Bad juju. The dice have been rolled. Let it ride. Besides, 2:30a means: I'm groggy, likely not thinking completely straight, that the walls of my house and the darkness are my absolute best protection, that the sound of my shuffling feet at 2:30a will give away any tactical advantage I might have hoped for. The cavalry's on the way, the insurance covers the car, and I'm well protected ... near my family when perps are nearby. Besides, no way in Hell is an insured car worth a life and the attendant risks (ballistic, legal, financial), mine or anyone elses. Best choice, for me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

sneak around the corner and stay within the darkness, with a pellet rifle and start beaning them on the skull...while calling the PD.
    mean and uncalled for..... nah, but breaking into my car is. So I can't shoot'em with lead and gunpowder....

Lew
    Well considering I sleep in my ride, I would be bustin some heads. At this point it is no longer about whether they are armed or not. I will have no choice but to fight back. This is assuming they have already gained entry. If they are still outside and are trying to gain entry, I would be gabbing my "Bubba Stick" and Blowing the Air horn. It happens to be mounted under the doors and pointed out so they would get all of it point blank. The lights would go on and I would hold that cable down till she was out of air, and considering we sleep with the motor running, it would never run out of air. At this point a ton of POed drivers would come looking to see why the air horn wasn't stopping and why they were so rudely woken up. Now I have an angry mob of truckers knocking at my door. If I am not at a truck stop I would put that "witch (with a 'b') in the wind" and not stop for awhile.

This actually, sorta happened to me.

I stopped in Oklahoma a few years ago, at a dump. I wasn't getting out of the truck for anything and was just too tired to go on. As I was getting ready for bed, (in only underwear) there was a knock on the door. It was a really ugly prostitute, aka "lot lizard". She asked if I wanted some company. I said empaticly "NO".

5 minutes later another knock on the door.... another one... "NO DANG IT"

4 minutes later..... DANG IT, I'm GAY LEAVE ME ALONE.... ( Im not but thought it would deter the lizards...)

30 seconds later a bass voice with knocking...."WANT some company?"

I released the brakes so fast it scared him, as I fled...never even got dressed....

I finally got to sleep when I got to Amarillo in my gym shorts....

From that day on I have slept in some form of clothing.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

I'm not a lawyer (thank God) but the new castle defense law in MS does not qualify shooting somebody for stealing your stereo. If you are [in] the vehicle and you fear that your life is in imminent danger, it's covered under the law. The law clearly states "occupied vehicle".

It's Senate Bill 2426 and can be reviewed by going to http://www.ls.state.ms.us

If you're behind a locked door and somebody is breaking into your car to get to your stereo, there's not an obvious threat of death or bodily harm to you.

A broken window or stolen stereo ain't worth hard time or a lawsuit. That's why you have insurance.

Confrontation in the middle of the night in the driveway with at least two perps and possibly a lookout or wheelman isn't worth your life.

Call 911 and let the professionals do their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Biloxi Bersa View Post
    I'm not a lawyer (thank God) but the new castle defense law in MS does not qualify shooting somebody for stealing your stereo. If you are [in] the vehicle and you fear that your life is in imminent danger, it's covered under the law. The law clearly states "occupied vehicle".

It's Senate Bill 2426 and can be reviewed by going to http://www.ls.state.ms.us

If you're behind a locked door and somebody is breaking into your car to get to your stereo, there's not an obvious threat of death or bodily harm to you.

A broken window or stolen stereo ain't worth hard time or a lawsuit. That's why you have insurance.

Confrontation in the middle of the night in the driveway with at least two perps and possibly a lookout or wheelman isn't worth your life.

Check it again, according to the office of the AG (yes I called and asked questions about the bill) if a felony crime is occurring, etc, etc as the ammended law so reads...you have the right (in the law) to use deadly force.

In this situation would I?

Heck no...dial 911, give a description and "be a good witness". I would also call my neighbor and ask them to jot down a description as well. Two witnesses are always better than one, and if my neighbor can read a tag on another car or see something I can't, that is always a plus.

***EDIT***
    Obviously it would be hard to justify deadly force in this case over a car theft...unless other details were in place.

Actually it would be pretty much impossible to do so.

If you've got a valuable stereo in your vehicle, you probably have a car alarm. (If you don't, shame on you for investing big money on a stereo and then not having an alarm.)

After calling the cops, hit the PANIC button on your alarm to make it screech! And try to write down everything you need to pass on to the cops: vehicle description (color/make/yr.), BG's descriptions, etc.

In no way should you ever consider using your guns to protect anything as replaceable as a stereo, or vehicle, for that matter. Besides, if you could afford to install a valuable stereo, then you could afford to buy insurance that could cover the cost of replacing it.

I know it is easier said than done, as I too, have had stuff stolen from me and yes, I did want to shoot 'em. But thank God, I didn't. It would not have been worth the trouble, money and sleepless nights.

If it is not for defending yourself, your family, or the life of someone else, it is not worth using your guns.

When I was younger, everything I owned was valuable to me. Mostly because I had to work hard, and scrimp as save, to buy anything that I wanted. As I've grown older, I now realize that material things have very little value, as they all can be replaced.

Lives are the only thing you can't get back, and that, is worth fighting for.

Wes.
    Always remember: 3 can keep a secret, if 2 are dead!

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Step 1: Call police about an active car theft in progress. Be the eyes and ears, on the phone to dispatch, helping to keep the officers safe.
    Step 2: See step 1.

That's it. Frankly, at 2:30a and in my street clothes, i hardly want to be in the "target zone" when the dispatched officers arrive. Bad juju. The dice have been rolled. Let it ride. Besides, 2:30a means: I'm groggy, likely not thinking completely straight, that the walls of my house and the darkness are my absolute best protection, that the sound of my shuffling feet at 2:30a will give away any tactical advantage I might have hoped for. The cavalry's on the way, the insurance covers the car, and I'm well protected ... near my family when perps are nearby. Besides, no way in Hell is an insured car worth a life and the attendant risks (ballistic, legal, financial), mine or anyone elses. Best choice, for me.
    Totally agree. A stereo is not worth risking multiple lives. The stereo can be replaced.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Amnesia Wes View Post

Lives are the only thing you can't get back, and that, is worth fighting for.

Wes.
    + 1

In other words, just let the knuckleheads go about their business. Let them take all the stuff you work hard to purchase/maintain because the insurance agent will be very understanding, and overnight your full refund check in the morning. In fact, just let them take the car because your boss will send a limo to pick you up and bring you home from work until the cops sort out the whole situation, after having assigned three detectives to track down the perps and bring them to justice.

Just sit back, be a victim, and allow the bad guys to have another chance at getting away to plot another crime that may result in the death or serious injury of another hardworking, innocent civilian.

Nice plan.
    Virginia Citizen's Defense League
    The Soldiers Creed
    This here JimmyHat is for your protection, and mine.

If you're behind a locked door and somebody is breaking into your car to get to your stereo, there's not an obvious threat of death or bodily harm to you. Call 911 and let the professionals do their job.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHat View Post
    In other words, just let the knuckleheads go about their business. Just sit back, be a victim ... Nice plan.
    Uh, seems like a reality check is needed.

"Nice plan"? Calling in the professionals to do a take-down at night with multiple perps is a victim mentality? There's a disconnect somewhere.

Calling in the cavalry (police) isn't being a victim. Not hardly. It's simply not being the overt "hero." Some would find it smart, in many ways. It avoids being in the line of fire from multiple perps, if they're armed. It avoids finding out the hard way that the two visible perps have "beaters" and "sweeps" in the shadows, in support of a multi-car evening (aka, a team approach). It avoids being in the line of fire from the responding officers, who are most definitely armed. It avoids being mistaken for a perp by those responding officers. It avoids the catch-22 of leaving the dispatcher on the phone to, instead, execute a good-looking impression of exactly the perp the responding officers are seeking at that car. It avoids having to make certain life-critical decisions at the one point of a day when one is least able to make perfect snap decisions (2:30am awakened from sleep). It avoids the likely legal/financial/social troubles, in the event a shooting did occur, which dwarf the minor paperwork required to cover an insured commodity item.

Were someone stealing one's horse in the desert, that would be something. The whole shoot-em tactic in the Old West wasn't to protect the horse or property, but rather to defend against a death sentence of being left in the desert on foot with limited water. By comparison, a car break-in with potential loss of an insured stereo or the whole car in the 'burbs is something else entirely, yeah? Yeah.

I guess you live in one of those nice, quiet places where everything goes as planned and the Law shows up immediately when called. Must be nice.

In the town where I hang my hat, calling the police will produce the same result as calling a Taxi. This is the norm, the good citizens are all used to it, we are all well adapted and I don't forsee any changes in the near future.

You make a decent point, ccw9mm, but it's a point based on fantasy. You'r argument is based upon the "what should happen" scenario, probably a conditioned response of your current environment and upbringing. Good for you.

The real world is harder than your line of sight. Take a look at the title of this site. It wasn't designed to cater to those who have never tasted adversity. It was designed for people like me, those of us who confront problems and find solutions without crying for help, every day.

Before you jump back on your soap-box, I'll Inform you that I and two generations before me are experienced LE.

Afraid of lawsuits? Afraid of litigation? Buy a water gun and take on the wind. I'm sure you'll do fine.

This isn't about carrying a weapon. This isn't about being a superhero. This is about not letting knuckleheads walk all over our sanctity just because they want to. I fought for this country. My father and his father did the same. I'll be dammed if I sit back and allow scum to steal what I have earned.

Call the police? Of course, I'll do that. When the time is right.
    Last edited by JimmyHat; October 3rd, 2006 at 04:34 AM.
    Virginia Citizen's Defense League
    The Soldiers Creed
    This here JimmyHat is for your protection, and mine.

I guess you live in one of those nice, quiet places where everything goes as planned and the Law shows up immediately when called. Must be nice.
    Nope. Same ******** district as everyone else. However, my insurance agent is excellent. Not worth a life. No rider covers that.
    You make a decent point, ccw9mm, but it's a point based on fantasy.
    The point is: a car is not worth a life. Fantasy? Okay.

... probably a conditioned response of your current environment and upbringing.
    Assumptions are bad. Like my assuming your previous generations of LEO's in the family make one whit of difference as to your ability in a specific situation. How would anyone know but you. In this case, my responses are based on real actions taken against me in similar situations previously. It's based on specific experience. In my case, it's wisdom. Hard earned, as with many.

The real world is indeed a hard place. I choose to be the rock. The help sought can take many forms: it need not be elevated and escalated until it cannot be anything but an armed encounter. For folks not wearing a badge, frankly that's the path to deadly encounters. The path to an early 6-foot Sunday. All for the price of an insurance policy. That's not wisdom. That foolishness.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; October 3rd, 2006 at 05:53 AM.

Watch them from the safety of your house until the police arrive.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the Congress is in session."
    Mark Twain
    S&W M&P 40

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links