Accidentally carried into a NO CC building, but others' lives are threatened

This is a discussion on Accidentally carried into a NO CC building, but others' lives are threatened within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The only way this scenario would provide the responses I think the OP is seeking would be if it was a situation where you carried ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Accidentally carried into a NO CC building, but others' lives are threatened

The only way this scenario would provide the responses I think the OP is seeking would be if it was a situation where you carried someplace like Animal Control to look for a dog and after you were inside you realize that that it was a government operation (or anywhere else prohibited for CC). Then ask if the fact that you were in a place illegal to carry would change your response.

Personally, it wouldn't change anything for me. If I would be willing to take a life to protect me or my family, I'd certainly risk the legal ramifications of CC'ing in a Gun Free Zone in order to do so.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It's my understanding that signs on stores are "policy statements" and only enforceable by the store as a policy...not a law.

If you take a gun into a store that has a "no guns allowed" sign you'd be asked to leave if they find out you are carrying. Same way you'd be asked to leave if you violate the "no shoes, no shirt" policy. You would NOT be arrested.

Of course this is not the case in government buildings...only private.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Your life is not in immediate danger because the robber is pointing the gun at the cashier or other customers and you know you can take him/her out from your position. would you do it knowing it's a "no CC" zone?
    First of all for me to use my firearm to "take him/her out" will require what I percieve as a clear and immediate threat to innocent life. The "gravest extreme" requiring immediate remedy. In that event a sign on the door of any kind has no meaning to me at all and will be the least of my worries.
    rawdawg1217 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    It's my understanding that signs on stores are "policy statements" and only enforceable by the store as a policy...not a law.

If you take a gun into a store that has a "no guns allowed" sign you'd be asked to leave if they find out you are carrying. Same way you'd be asked to leave if you violate the "no shoes, no shirt" policy. You would NOT be arrested.

Of course this is not the case in government buildings...only private.
    In Ohio, signs have the force of law. If you take your gun into a posted establishment, you are committing criminal trespassing, a fourth-degree misdemeanor.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Here's the situation: Let's say you accidentally carried into a "NO CC" building..."

No, you "negligently" carried into a "NO CC" building...

Should you use your firearm in legal SD situation where CC is prohibited, you most likely will beat the shooting rap but pay the piper for the CC rap.

So the question becomes: Are you willing to face the CC charge to prevent a crime?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

So the question becomes: Are you willing to face the CC charge to prevent a crime?
    Another way to look at it would be: Would I allow innocent people to be killed if I could stop it simply to hide the fact that I was out of compliance with a store policy?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "Here's the situation: Let's say you accidentally carried into a "NO CC" building..."

No, you "negligently" carried into a "NO CC" building...
    Or willfully, as the case may be, but only in the hypothetical, since it is well-established that everyone posting on this board observes and follows the letter of the law.
    Tuco

In MT, I'd be good to go. No laws against being somewhere that's posted, unless they ask you to leave.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Signs have no force of law in CO, so I wouldn't care too much about it. If, however, I were in another state and the signs did have force but I didn't notice the sign or forgot about the law, I would still intervene to save a life.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

As far as the rape scenario, what would the police do is the question? I'd like to shoot the SOB just because its a terrible crime, if it was a minor, Lord have mercy may not be able to not kill the rapist on site, however If its a male female adult situation I may order him to put his hands up, command him to get on the ground as im talking to 911 and tell him if he moves, or charges me he is dead. This way it gives me a chance to get him away from her incase I have to shoot.. So I'd ask what would the police do, I dont know if they would shoot , then again Im not a police officer.

These situations are never black and white. I agree with Bark'n - it could turn out to be an armed robbery situation where no one gets hurt, as they usually are. Firing a shot may cause a HUGE problem, and he could then turn and start shooting people, whereas that wouldn't have been the situation. You just don't know.

It's just so dependent on the individual situation. Most likely I would duck and cover, have a hand on my gun in its holster, and play the situation out by ear. Because let's be honest - it's not the same thing as YOU staring down the business end of a gun. Your CCW is there first and foremost to protect YOU.

Regarding the signs, like others have said, my state does not give "No firearms allowed" signs the force of the law, so if it was truly a situation that I needed to use the firearm, I wouldn't hold back because of this. Make sure you know what your state's laws are regarding this.
    KBSR and stevenshizzle like this.
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

Gunbuster signs do not have force of law in Wisconsin.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjr_Fail View Post
    Gunbuster signs do not have force of law in Wisconsin.
    According to this document, starting on page 32, they do:
    http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/...q-20111020.pdf
    Tuco

This entire thread is fatally flawed from the beginning from the OP.

Let's say you accidentally carried into a "NO CC" building
    OK. We are in a building and are unaware it is a “NO CC” building.
    Then we come to:

would you do it knowing it's a "no CC" zone?
    Nuff said.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 02R1 View Post
    Here's the situation: Let's say you accidentally carried into a "NO CC" building such as a store (non-federal law, court building) because you missed the sign posted on the front door. While inside, a robber comes in with a gun and does what all robbers do. Your life is not in immediate danger because the robber is pointing the gun at the cashier or other customers and you know you can take him/her out from your position. would you do it knowing it's a "no CC" zone?

Personally, if the life of my love ones or those who came with me are in danger and I know I can settle the situation nice and clean without risking others' lives, I would do it regardless. If the strangers' lives are in danger, I may not bother. What would you do?

Reason I asked this is because I've accidentally walked into a few stores and have missed the "no CC" sign. Someone held the door opened for me as I walked in and I don't remember ever seeing a "No CC" sign the previous many times i've been there. Didn't realized it until I walked out that a "No CC" sign was recently posted..
    This exact situation happened in Milwaukee shortly after the Concealed Carry Law went into affect. The guy was not charged:

Aldi customer won't be charged in shooting

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links