Accidentally carried into a NO CC building, but others' lives are threatened

This is a discussion on Accidentally carried into a NO CC building, but others' lives are threatened within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any sign, whether I saw it or not, would have no bearing on the actions I would take. Right is right. If I have to ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Accidentally carried into a NO CC building, but others' lives are threatened

Any sign, whether I saw it or not, would have no bearing on the actions I would take. Right is right.

If I have to wait for my pistol to be returned, but someone is alive to hug their child, or see their daughter be born, or hold their first grandchild, it's a trade off I can accept. If I have to hire an attorney (and I hate attorneys) to beat the misdemeanor trespass charge, it's still worth it.

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. I sleep well at night, because I always try to do what is right, for the right reasons. It's really that simple for me.

Be safe.
    USM1976 and Bark'n like this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

2. Remove Ads

I don't get it.

I don't get it. If you walked in not knowing it was a gun free zone and your still inside when the incident happens than as far as you know it's OK for you to have your gun on you. Draw or don't draw, depending on the situation.
    Bark'n likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    We are now into "what ifs" within "what ifs". Yes it is possible, but if this is where you are at in your "what if" list--yada yada.

If I accidentally carried into a store with a no CC sign and I a robbery was in progress unless my life and/or families life was in danger I would NOT react.

Funny thing is if I did react and shot the BG no telling how many anti guns are in that store to testify against me for having a gun saying things to the cops like "If he wasn't carrying a gun then no one would have got shot", "What about if the robber had friends waiting outside that could have shot us since that guy shot the robber?" etc.

So instead of me assuming all these people in this store will be on my side is wishful thinking since I was breaking the law just as the BG was.

Possibly the only person that would probably see me as a hero is the cashier that had the gun pointed at them, other than that I wouldn't be a hero to the rest of the people.

Signs have no force of law in my state, so I care care less! While I try not to patronize a business that is against my rights sometime I gotta anyways and in that case I could give a crap less about there little sign.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    if you didn't see the sign on the way in then how do you know it is a no carry zone during the robbery?
    USM1976 likes this.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    if you didn't see the sign on the way in then how do you know it is a no carry zone during the robbery?
    When the BG pulls his weapon and announces the robbery they tell him, " Hey! You can't do that! We have signs posted!"
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by WarMachine View Post
    If I accidentally carried into a store with a no CC sign and I a robbery was in progress unless my life and/or families life was in danger I would NOT react.

Funny thing is if I did react and shot the BG no telling how many anti guns are in that store to testify against me for having a gun saying things to the cops like "If he wasn't carrying a gun then no one would have got shot", "What about if the robber had friends waiting outside that could have shot us since that guy shot the robber?" etc.

So instead of me assuming all these people in this store will be on my side is wishful thinking since I was breaking the law just as the BG was.

Possibly the only person that would probably see me as a hero is the cashier that had the gun pointed at them, other than that I wouldn't be a hero to the rest of the people.

Here's the bottom line. If you unwittingly carry into a posted business, and for whatever reason, you are forced to shoot someone in a legitimate self defense situation. You are not going to be concerned one bit with the freaking sign you either ignored or honestly did not see.

If it's a legitimate self defense shooting and you saved yourself and possibly other innocent people, I seriously doubt they are going to make much of an issue of it. I don't care how many anti-gunners are in the store and are willing to "testify against you for carrying a gun." Using lethal force to defend yourself against a deadly threat is a God given right guaranteed by the Constitution.

For crying out loud... what's more important to you? Living through the situation and dealing with some trite consequence for violating a sign? Or being too fearful to use your weapon and possibly ending up in the funeral home with the other victims?

For one thing, if you didn't see the sign when you went in... it's a totally moot point anyway as you won't know until after the fact that you did something wrong.

Secondly, there are very, very few states who actually make violating a posted buisness a crime. At best, it's a total non-issue. A little worse, it's a misdemeanor. At the very worst (in one maybe two states), would it be considered a felony. If you don't live in one of those states where it's a felony, why are are you even sweating it?

I think many people are missing the big picture. You're in the middle of a lethal situation and we have some people going around wringing their hands going... "well, I don't know... what if I forgot to tie my shoes before I went inside and I tripped."

If you're not prepared to deal with the consequences for your actions, whatever they may be... then leave your friggon gun at home and walk around helpless like the rest of the masses, because to be honest... you're not ready for the responsibility!

I swear, some of these scenarios border on the absurd. We ain't playing tiddly winks here folks, we're talking about situations which force us to take a human life under the most grave and frightening circumstances, and you're worried about a no firearms sign? Let's get real for a little bit and forget about stupid things that likely don't matter. Hire a freaking lawyer if the police make an issue out of something as stupid as that.

I could care less who thinks of me as a hero and who wants to spit on me. All I care about is getting out of there alive, and hopefully fade away into obscurity (as far as the public is concerned).

sebring and USM1976 like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I'd would be the best witness for the police I could be. If it's a simply robbery, I would certainy be ready to defend my loves and myself, but I'm not going to be too concerned with anyone else. That may sound harsh, but I'm not a cop, and I'm not going to pretend to be one. I don't want to be "that guy" that escalated a situation way beyond where is should have been.
    Bark'n likes this.

Can I tell you what would happen in Texas ? This should sum it up for most.

As a police officer for 30 years in a very large city in SE Texas, and having investigated many, many shooting scenes while assigned to the Homicide Division, I have never, ever seen a person indicted for illegally carrying a handgun when he used the handgun legally to defend himself or another. Let me repeat...never, ever.

In Texas it is legal to use your handgun. firearms to protect a third person's life while being threatened with deadly force. Using a firearm during a robbery is a threatening event. Texas Penal Code 9.33:

DEFENSE OF THIRD PERSON. A person is justified in using force or deadly force against another to protect a third person if:

(1) under the circumstances as the actor reasonably believes them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.31 or 9.32 in using force or deadly force to protect himself against the unlawful force or unlawful deadly force he reasonably believes to be threatening the third person he seeks to protect; and
    (2) the actor reasonably believes that his intervention is immediately necessary to protect the third person.

Hey, guys, one can google any penal code in the country via the computer...better yet, buy a penala code for your states and read it...
    Last edited by USM1976; February 9th, 2013 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WarMachine View Post

Then, sir, put you guns awayl...you have not committed mentally to using yours. If you're so worried, not concerned, but worried about what some anti-gun person would think, then leave you gun at home. I'll not telling you to break the law and ignore a sign, but a mistake is a mistake, and the grand jury is comprised of some very intelligent people who can reason well. Believe it or not, I've known police officers with this mentality and that scared the stuffin' out of me when I heard it...this from a 30 year retired police officer.
    Snatale42 and Bark'n like this.

Checking the doors to stores has just become second nature. I just had to run a honey do for my wife that took me into uncharted territory, Hobby Lobby. As I approached the door I noticed a few notifications of prohibited items but I was good to go. It seems CCW are welcome but no wheelie shoes. Works for me.

USM1976 hit it right on the head. This is why it is important to know your state's penal codes on firearms. Some states will say that it is, in fact, illegal to CC in an establishment if it is posted so at the door. In some states, it is simply up to store policy. To piggyback off the subject of law, states differ on what authorized use of deadly force, and rules of engagement. Burglary in one state may include a death warrant, while in others, ehhhh, not so much.

IMO, I would draw and fire given that I have a clear shot and the opportunity rises that the only life in danger is the BG down my sights. To me, carrying is a civil duty and a responsibility. If someone comes into a space waving a gun, it won't take me the thought of "is this place legal for me to CC?" it will be draw, cover, fire. If you go to an establishment, and you don't maintain positive control of your weapon, you ARE putting my life in danger.

Now, if someone had come in and tried robbing the place without a weapon, I would let it go. I don't draw my weapon unless I intend to use it. No sense putting someone down just over stolen goods.

Accidentally carried into a NO CC building, but others' lives are threatened

In Iowa, signs are not in place of law. I am not committing a crime or misdemeanor until they ask me to leave and I don't. I am not a sheep, I will not fall without a fight. If a robber engages me or I feel that someone else's life is in immanent danger I will engage the shooter: No sign from an idiot store owner will deter me from living. YMMV!!!!

My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links