Would you intervene with deadly force on a stranger's behalf?(poll added)

This is a discussion on Would you intervene with deadly force on a stranger's behalf?(poll added) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are indeed circumstances in which I would intervene on the behalf of strangers....

View Poll Results: Would you intervene with deadly force on a stranger's behalf?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

116 77.33%
  • NO

34 22.67%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Would you intervene with deadly force on a stranger's behalf?(poll added)

VIP Member
    There are indeed circumstances in which I would intervene on the behalf of strangers.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    There is no simple yes or no answer to the question. Every situation has its own dynamics that will effect how you react to it.
    JDE101 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Yes
    Molon Labe

Kansas Concealed Carry Law says I can defend myself or someone else from "deadly threat or great harm" So in a word "Yes" however it must be clear that such threat exists and who the BG really is..
    minimalbrat likes this.

VIP Member
    "Evil prevails when good men do nothing".
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

I would do for someone else the exact same thing I would hope that someone would do for my daughter or wife. Even if I had no daughter or wife, if I was in a position to help another human being, I don't know under what circumstances I could turn my back.
    minimalbrat, wraithls1 and tundra like this.

This is something I have thought about more than once since I started carrying... My answer is "I would like to think so, but it depends."
    If I were in a situation where a BG pulled out a gun and it was clear they were the BG, and I had the opportunity I would definitely try to help.
    If I were to come up on a situation where someone has a gun on someone else - it would depend on a lot of things. How do I know I haven't just walked up on another CCer that just drew on a BG? If I had taken a shot at th BG in the first scenario, what would another CCer arriving at the scene do? Am I going to get shot by them?
    It is a situation with a lot of variables - but in general, defending myself and others is the reason I carry.
    Ksgunner and minimalbrat like this.

I am not all that politically correct so I will answer it as you asked and it is simple, Yes.

I am a southern boy, I was raised to help those around me no matter what. If I am carrying, that just gives me one more tool to use, but I don't HAVE to. I can use my fists too. As I have said many times, I'll take an butt whipping meant for a woman any day.

Call me naive but I believe if you are in the right, then doing the right thing is never wrong.
    OldVet, tacman605 and minimalbrat like this.

yes

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

No. Sitting in the safety of home or work I visualize avoidance and deescalation. From what I can gather this behavior can be critical to avoiding prosecution and imprisonment (which appeals to me). For my own selfish interests I hope I would not intervene but suspect I couldn't really trust myself to stand-by and watch something I could prevent. Like others have said it would probably depend and I can't really predict how I would respond until confronted.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    "Evil prevails when good men do nothing".
    Exactly.

If one can't tell a crazed gunman from a cop or CC , they might need to reevaluate their comprehension skill set. Someone shooting at everyone in sight, is going down.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Naturally circumstances prevail, but I lean heavily toward "yes." It's just something in me to help rather than turn away.

776.031 Use of force in defense of others.—A person is justified in the use of force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent or terminate the other’s trespass on, or other tortious or criminal interference with, either real property other than a dwelling or personal property, lawfully in his or her possession or in the possession of another who is a member of his or her immediate family or household or of a person whose property he or she has a legal duty to protect. However, the person is justified in the use of deadly force only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony. A person does not have a duty to retreat if the person is in a place where he or she has a right to be.

776.08 Forcible felony.—“Forcible felony” means treason; murder; manslaughter; sexual battery; carjacking; home-invasion robbery; robbery; burglary; arson; kidnapping; aggravated assault; aggravated battery; aggravated stalking; aircraft piracy; unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb; and any other felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual.
    wraithls1 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'll take it a step further Tac, and this is something I have decided on, with my wife and family.

I am willing to step in and if necessary, forfeit my own life to save another. No questions or second thoughts on it. Can't explain it, it's just me.

But yes, if that's what it took, I'd drop the hammer.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Thinking deeper into this question,( I'm bad about doing this), brings up the question of what is in someone that would allow them to make the decision to act in defense of others in the first place.

The firearm is just a tool that could be used, but it is the " action" brought to bear, that comes from the sum of ones personal convictions and beliefs, that in fact override all logic here.

To even begin to use deadly force, one must understand that it is stepping into a realm of interjecting oneself into a hostile situation where you could also become a target, or victim, because bullets fly both ways.

Sorry if I went off on the deep end here, just expressing some thoughts at the heart of the issue.
    tacman605 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Short answer: Yes-definitely.

Aside from the notion of circumstance determining action--something I agree with--I believe it is my duty to love my neighbor as I love myself. My neighbor, I believe, is everyone within my sphere of influence, which includes strangers and even those who would consider themselves my enemies. By "loving" them, I am basically applying the Golden Rule to them (do unto others as you would have them do unto you). If I were in their situation where my life were hanging by a thread but could be saved by intervention, I would want that intervention. I also believe that by potentially risking my own life and well-being for someone else (either being attacked or locked away for my actions), even a stranger, I am following after He who laid down His life for me, who was His enemy. How much more should I act to save someone who is no known enemy or even a friend?

If I am willing to die for someone, I am willing to suffer the consequences that may come from protecting them. I understand that such an action may leave my wife and unborn child without their husband and father, but I also believe that they will be protected by our Heavenly Father until He takes them home to join me at the Heavenly feast. I could go at any time, anyway, so what better way to go out than in sacrifice to my fellow man, walking in the footsteps of my Lord?

"For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life." -Rom. 5:6-10
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links