Would you intervene with deadly force on a stranger's behalf?(poll added) - Page 3

Would you intervene with deadly force on a stranger's behalf?(poll added)

This is a discussion on Would you intervene with deadly force on a stranger's behalf?(poll added) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm I'll take it a step further Tac, and this is something I have decided on, with my wife and family. I ...

View Poll Results: Would you intervene with deadly force on a stranger's behalf?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

116 77.33%
  • NO

34 22.67%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Would you intervene with deadly force on a stranger's behalf?(poll added)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I'll take it a step further Tac, and this is something I have decided on, with my wife and family.

I am willing to step in and if necessary, forfeit my own life to save another. No questions or second thoughts on it. Can't explain it, it's just me.

But yes, if that's what it took, I'd drop the hammer
    I agree with the sentiment, but I'm not planning on forfeiting or sacrificing my life if I have to intervene. Someone is going to have to take it. A play on wording maybe, but I don't see willing giving my life up--I will fight for it, whether in my defence or for others.

And does one "drop the striker"?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Glockman10mm. PM sent
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    If I'm in a situation where somebody out of the blue comes in with a drawn gun,clearly not an LEO,and either makes statements they will kill somebody/everybody I will very likely draw as soon as I get an opportunity and end the threat,being in Tx the following is why,other States maybe not.
    § 9.33. DEFENSE OF THIRD PERSON. A person is justified in
    using force or deadly force against another to protect a third
    person if:
    (1) under the circumstances as the actor reasonably
    believes them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.31
    or 9.32 in using force or deadly force to protect himself against
    the unlawful force or unlawful deadly force he reasonably believes
    to be threatening the third person he seeks to protect; and
    (2) the actor reasonably believes that his
    intervention is immediately necessary to protect the third person.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974.
    Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, § 1.01, eff. Sept. 1,
    Ditto.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Thinking deeper into this question,( I'm bad about doing this), brings up the question of what is in someone that would allow them to make the decision to act in defense of others in the first place.

The firearm is just a tool that could be used, but it is the " action" brought to bear, that comes from the sum of ones personal convictions and beliefs, that in fact override all logic here.

To even begin to use deadly force, one must understand that it is stepping into a realm of interjecting oneself into a hostile situation where you could also become a target, or victim, because bullets fly both ways.

Sorry if I went off on the deep end here, just expressing some thoughts at the heart of the issue.
    Deep end? Hardly. Deeper thinking is the main reason I engage on boards such as this one, both to instill it, and to practice it.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

I think that the one thing you can be sure of is that no one is going to come forward to pay your legal bills or do your time for you. And that includes the one whose life you just saved. And that's the way I would think before I pulled the trigger.
    aus71383 likes this.

I do it for a living and have done so for over 18 years as a Police Officer and if you count my Infantry service in the USMC add five years to that..So ofcourse I would do it when off duty and even after I retire. It's the American way
    tundra likes this.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by patrol View Post
    I do it for a living and have done so for over 18 years as a Police Officer and if you count my Infantry service in the USMC add five years to that..So ofcourse I would do it when off duty and even after I retire. It's the American way
    Thanks for your service to the Commonwealth!
    I'm curious - what would be the legal differences (if any) between your actions as an off duty officer and a civilian. Does your job allow you to act in a way not allowed to a civilian even thought you are off duty?
    Thanks and stay safe.

Yes, I would. I was raised to help others & to stand up for what is right. I teach my sons to stand up for what is right & I will back them completely in that. I know that it may come at a price, but doing what is right often does have a price. I can't imagine if someone was kidnapping my son, and someone was watching it who had the opportunity and ability to intervene, but chose not too since it didn't involve their loved one. But I also had the same outlook before I started to carry, so that hasn't changed just because I CC now.
    tundra likes this.

This is a question that can NOT be answered with an unqualified yes or no! There are way too many variable involved in any situation, starting with your SA and what you know of the entire situation, your own states laws, and your own family commitments and situation.

Would you intervene to save a stranger if by doing so you leave your own family destitute? What if saving some stranger ends in your death and you are the sole support of a wife and a couple of kids. Without you, they lose their home, have to go on welfare, can't go on to college, lose everything they own? Just one example.

That is why everyone who carries should think long and hard about their decision BEFORE anything occurs so they don't make a "snap" decision that they may regret for the rest of their lives! The instructor my wife and I had for our CHL class stressed that each and every one of us should think long and hard about our willingness and commitment to using a firearm in defense of our own lives before we made the decision to carry. Using a firearm to defend the life of a stranger requires the same careful thought before you have to make a choice to take action! And in my situation, it depends on many variables. I can't just say yes I would or no I wouldn't. Just my .02.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
    Yes
    Me too!!
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Originally Posted by glockman10mm
    I'll take it a step further Tac, and this is something I have decided on, with my wife and family.

I am willing to step in and if necessary, forfeit my own life to save another. No questions or second thoughts on it. Can't explain it, it's just me.

But yes, if that's what it took, I'd drop the hammer.
    I believe that there are many people out there who feel this same way when it comes to protecting strangers. I also believe that many of those people who while willing to give up their own lives are not so willing to place their family in economic danger either through legal costs, possible loss of job due to time spent in court and the many other possible hardships society might decide to impose on the good Samaritan.

EDIT: Including possible jail time if things go wrong.

I could not fault a person for not coming to my aid if he was worried that it might place his family in economic or even physical danger from possible retaliation of the the criminals friends or family. I know that his family comes first, or at least it should in my opinion.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Unless they were already on my "punch in the face list".

If the criteria were present to justify physical deadly force; absolutely yes!!!!!!!

If the criteria were not present to justify lethal deadly force; I would use physical force.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

At any moment in time of your life, you could die. Doesn't matter what you do, it's guaranteed to happen at some point. Yes, maybe you can extend your chances by making "smart" decisions, but ultimately, you will meet your maker.

As a responsible husband and father, I have made preparations to support my family financially should my life come to an end sooner than I expect. Be it a car accident, brain tumor, or intense conflict with another human being.

Like Glockman10mm, the personal sacrifice of my own life is just a part of who I am. My belief in God and His teaching that the greatest gift is the sacrifice of one's life is a part of my core. I bust my butt daily, on the evenings and weekends to provide for my family. This is also a part of that same school of thought. Sacrifice self for others and feel no guilt for not doing all that you could.

It's a personal choice that I make daily, so I am confident to say that I would make the choice when violence is present, instinctively.
    accessbob likes this.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar

But yes, if that's what it took, I'd drop the hammer.
    Amen! I'm with you.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

My heart says yes, my brain says no, I'm going with no. I will help the disabled, the very old and the young. Everyone else, with few a exceptions, is on their own. Why? Everyone, with a few exceptions, has the opportunity to avail themselves of weapons and training. Everyone makes choices. The couch or the gym, the bar or the dojo, the ski trip or the shooting class, the big screen TV or a pistol and practice ammo, football tickets or a shooting range membership. Most people choose the easy way and don't want to be bothered with self defense training. If the sheep don't care enough about themselves to get training and practice I find no reason why I should risk being killed, maimed, sued or imprisoned.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links