Would you intervene with deadly force on a stranger's behalf?(poll added)

This is a discussion on Would you intervene with deadly force on a stranger's behalf?(poll added) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes. However, I've thought about this quite a bit and at the moment have it at a continuum based on my perceived ability for people ...

View Poll Results: Would you intervene with deadly force on a stranger's behalf?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

116 77.33%
  • NO

34 22.67%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Would you intervene with deadly force on a stranger's behalf?(poll added)

Yes.

However,

I've thought about this quite a bit and at the moment have it at a continuum based on my perceived ability for people to defend themselves.

After me and my family -

- Children: Pretty much no question.
    - Elderly: Probably
    - Women: Most likely.
    - Men: Maybe.

Except for the children, everything else gets iffy pretty fast. What about teenagers who look like gangbangers? Women who you watched start a physical fight with weapons and are now on the losing end?

So, while there are situations where I would do it without question, it's definitely not a sure thing in every circumstance.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    If I'm in a situation where somebody out of the blue comes in with a drawn gun,clearly not an LEO,and either makes statements they will kill somebody/everybody I will very likely draw as soon as I get an opportunity and end the threat,being in Tx the following is why,other States maybe not.
    § 9.33. DEFENSE OF THIRD PERSON. A person is justified in
    using force or deadly force against another to protect a third
    person if:
    (1) under the circumstances as the actor reasonably
    believes them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.31
    or 9.32 in using force or deadly force to protect himself against
    the unlawful force or unlawful deadly force he reasonably believes
    to be threatening the third person he seeks to protect; and
    (2) the actor reasonably believes that his
    intervention is immediately necessary to protect the third person.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974.
    Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, § 1.01, eff. Sept. 1,
    You forgot this:

CIVIL PRACTICE AND REMEDIES CODE

CPRC CH. 83. USE OF DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON

CPRC § 83.001. CIVIL IMMUNITY. A defendant who uses force or deadly force that is justified under Chapter 9, Penal Code, is immune from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from the defendant's use of force or deadly force, as applicable

VIP Member
    Guys and Gals great responses again there is no wrong answer. It is a personal choice at to what you do.

Yes there are tons of variables to be considered and each situation different but somewhere inside each of us the decision of what are limits are has been made. The question is purposely hypothetical and vague. It makes us think and fill in the blanks for ourselves as individuals. I understand the reasoning of the posts, yes or no.

If nothing else we all go back and look at our states laws regarding the matter and brings up things we have never thought of. Mlr1m's question, What if they don't want to be defended?, never thought of that.

Please keep the posts coming.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

In the hypothetical situation where someone doesn't want to be defended, my guess is that in most situations you would have found that out after the fact.....not in the heat of the battle, and it's too late.

Just about the only time I would expect to see a scenario of a person not wanting to "be defended", is in a domestic type disturbance. Variables are too many to say what I would do in this type of event.

In a mass killing scenario, if there is someone who actually claims to not want to be defended....during the act, I would have to assume that the person is psychologically unstable, or possibly uneducated to realize the real danger they are in. I would still have to engage for my own safety and others.

Like any shooting where I would need to engage, I would pray I have my wits and enough time to evaluate the best possible tactics to end the threat without harming innocent people.
    tacman605 likes this.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

My Pastor is preaching a funeral tomorrow in Alabama for his 31 yr old nephew. Nephew and five friends went out to celebrate the nephews birthday. Nephew is married, with a young son. Nephew has a younger brother to whom he has been a mentor and caretaker since childhood. Back to the "celebration". About 3 o'clock in the morning, the revelers came out of the local pub into the parking lot. All were quite inebriated. The nephew made a comment of some sort to his "BEST" friend, one of the five. The "BEST" friend took the comment the wrong way and decked the nephew. The "BEST" friend jumped on him and began beating him about the face and head with his fists. The others pulled the "BEST" friend off the nephew, the "BESt" friend broke loose from them and again jumped on the unconscious nephew. He beat him to death with his fists. HE BEAT HIM TO DEATH WITH HIS FISTS. This is a true story, that happened Saturday nite/Sunday morn. The "BEST" friend has very little recollection of the events because of his extreme drunken state. The "BEST" friend was absolutely devastated when told of the happenings and why he was in jail.

Things happen that we either have no control over, or have little or no knowledge of the situation. If I had come upon the scene above, would I have intervened, YES! Physically first, even though I'm an ole timer. But, if, he had pulled away from me like he did the group, then I think regardless of the circumstances, I would have STOPPED the "BEST" friend from beating the nephew to death with his fists.

As others have said...the situation would HAVE to be CRYSTAL clear to intervene on behalf of another...or would it? My answer is "YES" to the OP...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    And even if your family would prefer you be a hero sometimes whats they prefer is not whats best for them.
    Ha, I'm worth more dead than alive! But I see your point. Truth be told, we can all talk a big game, but until we are in that moment we really don't KNOW what we'd do. I like to think I'd do the right thing (which to me is getting involved) but I don't KNOW. Heck, I might freeze and do nothing.

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    There are indeed circumstances in which I would intervene on the behalf of strangers.
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    There is no simple yes or no answer to the question. Every situation has its own dynamics that will effect how you react to it.
    These two previous posts sum up perfectly my thoughts on the subject.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    This is not a simple question so a simple yes or know has no standing by its self therefore my answer is that if I am living in Idaho or Arizona yes I would but now I live in Oregon and I would have to say no. There are those who will understand my answer after they have looked over state gun laws

Senior Moderator
    Poll added. Lets hope that more people care for their fellow man than not.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I will not vote in this and I will tell you why.

It is too vague and too many variables. Don't have enough information about the who and where to give a intelligent response.
    JDE101 likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    This is not a simple question so a simple yes or know has no standing by its self therefore my answer is that if I am living in Idaho or Arizona yes I would but now I live in Oregon and I would have to say no. There are those who will understand my answer after they have looked over state gun laws
    I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by ORS 161.219
    ORS 161.219¹
    Limitations on use of deadly physical force in defense of a person
    Notwithstanding the provisions of ORS 161.209 (Use of physical force in defense of a person), a person is not justified in using deadly physical force upon another person unless the person reasonably believes that the other person is:
    (1) Committing or attempting to commit a felony involving the use or threatened imminent use of physical force against a person; or
    (2) Committing or attempting to commit a burglary in a dwelling; or
    (3) Using or about to use unlawful deadly physical force against a person. [1971 c.743 §23]
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Thanks HotGuns for the poll.

Spirit51. As I stated the question was left intentionally vague for a reason. I could have added if you see this, if he had a gun and so on. The basic premise of the question is would you help a stranger? Yes there are a tone of variables for each situation but we all have to make the basic decision first as to how far or what we would do.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    It really depends. Sometimes it really is being a good witness for your safety and others that isn't being harmed safety. But I do understand that the line between acting and being a good witness is very thin. With that being said, if someone is being stabbed, shot, or beaten to a pulp, there is a very good chance that I would be trying to stop the threat.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

VIP Member
    Guys and Gals. If you already posted before the poll was added please go back and vote in the poll.

Thanks

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    We recently had a situation where a group of people were waiting at a bus stop in Cincinnati when a guy (obviously deranged) started attacking one of the people with a knife. He stabbed her 20 times and the crowd did jump in to defend her, although none used a firearm. In that situation I believe I would draw my weapon in an attempt to get him to stop. Shoot? depends but if a person next to me is being stabbed to death I probably would.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links