6:20am brother knocks on bathroom door and says "hurry,get your fashlight and gun"! - Page 2

6:20am brother knocks on bathroom door and says "hurry,get your fashlight and gun"!

This is a discussion on 6:20am brother knocks on bathroom door and says "hurry,get your fashlight and gun"! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hopyard, I appreciate your message, Thank you.. When I posted this I had a feeling I would be compared to zimmerman, or seen as one ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: 6:20am brother knocks on bathroom door and says "hurry,get your fashlight and gun"!

Hopyard, I appreciate your message, Thank you.. When I posted this I had a feeling I would be compared to zimmerman, or seen as one of those I wanna be a cop types.. Thats not me, It was one of them situations that came on unexpected and fast with a lot of panic on behalf of my brother aprox. 10 minutes after I woke up, Again im not trying to make excuses, and I understand there were many ways I could of delt with this situation. I wasn't looking for "Good Job" replys but i wanted to share this. If there is anyone who in 14 years has done everything by the book 100% perfect, feel free to judge, When we carry there is much responsibilty in that. Not only that ,we dont just represent ourselves, but we represent the whole carry community, NRA ect... And thats what bothers me about how I handled the situation, Its not the worst thing in the world but Its obvious the mistakes made.. Could have been a bad outcome, Thank God it wasn't. Believe me what George Z is going through is a good example of how we should avoid trouble if we can, and for me that would have been staying inside.. Live and learn... Thanks

VIP Member
    You live and learn. Hopefully the lesson you learn is not at too high of a price. I see 2 glaring mistakes you made. The first is having your gun in Condition 3, a rock in your hand would have served you better if there actually been someone there and they had rushed you. Second was leaving your property to chase after noises. If there had been someone there, what would you have done? They were in the street, so it wasn't like they were someplace they weren't allowed to be. In the future, arm yourself, remain inside and call 911. Let the police handle it, unless they attempt to breach your door.
    mg27 and tcox4freedom like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

mkh
    Yeah, you screwed up in several ways. But, you recognized the screw ups so let this be a lesson and do it right next time. We can all benefit fom a little hindsight. Don't berate yourself over it. Just don't repeat it and you will do well. .
    mg27 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    It appears from your self critique that you learned from this experience. Good. Keep on learning and stay safe.
    This. You have used up your quotient of "stupid" for the quarter. Deep breath and count to 10 should this occur again.
    mg27 likes this.
    In Absentia Luci Tenebrae Vincu

There is a line between good and evil, no wider than a razor's edge.
    I hold the line.
    I am the line.

A suggestion, don't go looking for trouble with an unloaded gun. Others have commented on other mistakes. Glad all went well.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Assuming that your brother is of legal age, it is time for him to get his own gun, training, and his own flashlight.

If there had been someone there, what would you have done?

Yeah I have asked myself the same question, what would I have done? And it really got me thinking. All I can say is very greatful it was a false alarm..
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    True,learned something and will do it different next time. Many people in my area are real quick to draw a gun. There is a mind set for some Texans that they can whip out the gun if somebody is on their property.
    I agree with the respondents. I am glad all worked out for you, but if you act in the manner of a LEO and you are not, you may be charged as a criminal as you were not defending your person and property once you leave it to investigate the situation.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

I've been having someone keep messing around here...... and the Police would get very tired of coming by every time it happens. So, I put some perimeter motion alarms that sound off inside the house, so I know it's actually someone there. Just a thought.
    I also have motion lights. One night the perimeter alarm was going off, and every single motion light went on........ I let the police handle that one and check it. Any other time, I go out and check it..... to accustomed to living out in the country where if you don't do it, it won't get done.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

My two cents

1) Your not the police so why are you outside your house investigating with a gun in your hand? Even if you didn't have a gun in the hand never leave their house which leave you completely expose (both physically and legally).
    2) Call the Police
    Second Amendment America's Original Homeland Security!

"Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion...in private self-defense" - John Adams

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    OMG

There are so many things that could have gone wrong and things you should and shouldn't have done that morning I don't where to begin!!

The best thing to come out of all of your expereance here is that you are sharing this with us and we are all hopefully learning something from each-other here.

Most of all yes, if you do feel threatened, do whatever you need to do to protect yourself and your loved ones, but stay inside, call the police, and beware of any immediate danger!

Glad it all turned out OK for you and yours!!!

I'm too tired to read the thread, so forgive me if this has been covered.

Respectfully, the first mistake is the Serpa Holster. While it is possible to train to use one properly (read safely), it takes commitment, and I think you could leverage your time more effectively on other tactical training.

Why the need to go outside? What if you ran into someone. Now what? What if your neighbor came outside armed thinking you were the hostile and you mistook him for one as well. How is the home and other occupants secure while you're roaming about outside?

Stay inside, secure the perimeter, execute your home defense plan (you have one right???) and call 911.

One final thought: Carrying in C3 is a tactical mistake.

Good post for discussion.
    NRA Certified Instructor - RSO - Life Member

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
    -Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Leave the police work to police officers. Should have just called 911 and stayed in your house. What would you would have done if the person that was behind the car was a someone jacking up their car to fix a flat? Now what?
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    True,learned something and will do it different next time. Many people in my area are real quick to draw a gun. There is a mind set for some Texans that they can whip out the gun if somebody is on their property.

Can't we? LOL

Every time I have used a firearm for defense, I have learned from my mistakes.

A good chunk of what law enforcement academies do is teach the recruits about the mistakes made by all of the LEOs who went before them. .
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links