Defensive Carry banner

helped an officer in trouble

8K views 75 replies 48 participants last post by  1 old 0311 
#1 ·
Ok ,so here I go again with another situation that I had That many of you may think was a dumb move.

After the 6:20 am story that I just told last week where I admitted to be a real stupid thing to do,I wanted to share something that was not real smart but had a possitive outcome..

In my early 20s I was on my porch with a girl just talking and having a beer, I did not have a firearm on me, I left that in the house. Just Oc spray.. I noticed a police officer talking with two black males (Please dont Imply that im a racist because I mentioned black male, if they were white or chinese Id say the same) When the officer went to cuff one of the males, The other jumped on the cop and now he was in a stuggle. I ran down to help the officer who was alone. When I got there I grabbed the one off the cop allowing him to get his gun out and order them both on the ground. As soon as back up came, I started to walk off. At that point back up tried to grab me. The officer I assisted said "He's ok, he just helped me out". I just walked back home right away. To this day I dont know what happened or what the deal was... lol, I remember my mom saying I was dumb cause I could of been stabbed or shot, and thats true, But It was a spur of the moment thing..

Has anyone esle had a similer experience, and if you would of seen the same thing what would you do? Is it worse for a citizen to get involved? I guess it depends of the situation..

See less See more
#2 ·
Good man, in my opinion. I've heard a lot of stories of stops going bad, and I've talked to a lot of officers who know of other officers or have themselves had those experiences. Back a few years ago I took part in a "citizen's police academy" and came to understand why a lot of the behavior of officers in traffic stops happens, down to little details I'd never noticed. To this day I take a peek at traffic stops I drive by just to make sure. You never know.

#3 ·
Depends on the situation but I've been there before. I pulled two guys off a cop many years ago and I actually was hurt a little bit... Kicked in the family jewels... But it was the right thing to do and I'd do it again in a heart beat. Btw, those two bg's were trying to get his gun. I hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't helped.

Reactions: mg27
#4 ·
Yeah it's hard to watch someone get taken over, Thats the last thing I remember saying to the girl I was with was what if they get a hold of his gun, she was telling me not too.. Im sure most people if not all would have done the same. Its a risk, but I couldnt live with the fact if I just watched.. At that time I was strong as i did a lot of power lifting and general bodybuilding.. Im not trying to sound like a big shot, believe me I know a bullet goes through muscle lol...

#5 ·
#6 ·
Philospohically, I think you did the right thing by helping. :congrats: From a tactical point-of-view, I'm not sure that I have the experience to say anything about "how" you did it. :wave:

#7 ·
You acted. You helped. You survived. The officer not only survived, but continued to accomplish/do his job and arrest the BG's. I'm sure he appreciated your assistance, even if it was unsolicited. As far as I'm concerned you did GOOD!!! Too many would have stood by and just observed without trying t help. I'd have to live with myself IF I were ever in that situation and did not assist. Just sayin!!!

#18 ·
Good man, in my opinion. I've heard a lot of stories of stops going bad, and I've talked to a lot of officers who know of other officers or have themselves had those experiences. Back a few years ago I took part in a "citizen's police academy" and came to understand why a lot of the behavior of officers in traffic stops happens, down to little details I'd never noticed. To this day I take a peek at traffic stops I drive by just to make sure. You never know.

^^^^^^I'm in this camp here^^^^^^^^^^^

Gotta watch out for the good guys.
Yeah I know, some people look at police as dirty rotten scoundrels, on the take, and as criminal as the perps they bust.

Judging all, for the actions of a few, is narrow- minded and simplistic at best.

#8 ·
Some folks are genetically wired to help when help is needed; some folks aren't. Apparently you are wired correctly. Some might say your actions were foolish, possibly, too, even the officer you helped, but I bet he appreciated it and remembers you to this day.

#15 ·
I think that your actions were justified. Cowards feel stronger when they outnumber others. By you evening the playing field probably saved his life and I am sure he is grateful for your quick selfless actions. BZ!

#21 ·
You get two-thumbs-up from me mg27.
There's far too much of the "don't get involved" mentality these days. While some situations may warrant such an attitude, society has forgotten how to help their neighbors in time of need.

#23 ·
I noticed a police officer talking with two black males (Please dont Imply that im a racist because I mentioned black male, if they were white or chinese Id say the same)
I'm not PC at all, but I'm pretty sure that if the criminals were White or Chinese and you'd still say they were Black males - some may interpret that as racist. :tongue::smile:

#29 ·
I would help an officer out. And I'm sure the one you helped was grateful for your actions.

#37 ·
I would assume he did have a wife and kids. The choice to help him or not is personal and if logic dictates that you do not intervene I don't think that makes you a coward.

First response in a situation like that should be to call 911 so proper backup arrives. I still say you or your family would regreat the decision to intervene if you got a spinal cord injury and were a quadrapalegic for life. Anything can happen at any time but each decision me make has possible outcomes that we must live with.

#34 ·
I've done the same for perfect strangers...almost certainly I'd do it for LEO. Like the OP said, it was a spur of the moment reaction. I'm not going to sit around and contemplate the good and evil of the world (outside of a quick assessment of the situation I'm getting myself into). I'm just going to react.

Reactions: Pistology and mg27
#36 ·
While my normal stance is not to get involved in something that isn't my business and I don't know the whole story on, there are a few exceptions. A LEO in a struggle is one of them.

#50 ·
I'll never laugh. Show me the man that can catch a sandbag that weighs 122 pounds that's just been thrown at him, and I'll show you the offspring of King Kong and The Hulk.

When all else fails, run the guy over with your body, it works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.