helped an officer in trouble

This is a discussion on helped an officer in trouble within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok ,so here I go again with another situation that I had That many of you may think was a dumb move. After the 6:20 ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: helped an officer in trouble

helped an officer in trouble

Ok ,so here I go again with another situation that I had That many of you may think was a dumb move.

After the 6:20 am story that I just told last week where I admitted to be a real stupid thing to do,I wanted to share something that was not real smart but had a possitive outcome..

In my early 20s I was on my porch with a girl just talking and having a beer, I did not have a firearm on me, I left that in the house. Just Oc spray.. I noticed a police officer talking with two black males (Please dont Imply that im a racist because I mentioned black male, if they were white or chinese Id say the same) When the officer went to cuff one of the males, The other jumped on the cop and now he was in a stuggle. I ran down to help the officer who was alone. When I got there I grabbed the one off the cop allowing him to get his gun out and order them both on the ground. As soon as back up came, I started to walk off. At that point back up tried to grab me. The officer I assisted said "He's ok, he just helped me out". I just walked back home right away. To this day I dont know what happened or what the deal was... lol, I remember my mom saying I was dumb cause I could of been stabbed or shot, and thats true, But It was a spur of the moment thing..

Has anyone esle had a similer experience, and if you would of seen the same thing what would you do? Is it worse for a citizen to get involved? I guess it depends of the situation..
    Jab73180, Archie and Spade115 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Good man, in my opinion. I've heard a lot of stories of stops going bad, and I've talked to a lot of officers who know of other officers or have themselves had those experiences. Back a few years ago I took part in a "citizen's police academy" and came to understand why a lot of the behavior of officers in traffic stops happens, down to little details I'd never noticed. To this day I take a peek at traffic stops I drive by just to make sure. You never know.
    mg27, First Sgt, mano3 and 4 others like this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Depends on the situation but I've been there before. I pulled two guys off a cop many years ago and I actually was hurt a little bit... Kicked in the family jewels... But it was the right thing to do and I'd do it again in a heart beat. Btw, those two bg's were trying to get his gun. I hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't helped.
    mg27 likes this.

Yeah it's hard to watch someone get taken over, Thats the last thing I remember saying to the girl I was with was what if they get a hold of his gun, she was telling me not too.. Im sure most people if not all would have done the same. Its a risk, but I couldnt live with the fact if I just watched.. At that time I was strong as i did a lot of power lifting and general bodybuilding.. Im not trying to sound like a big shot, believe me I know a bullet goes through muscle lol...

Ah, I managed to find it. The saga of Officer Brian Harrison and the man who saved his life, Perry Stephens.

http://www.theshootist.net/2009/01/o...-perry_12.html
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Philospohically, I think you did the right thing by helping. From a tactical point-of-view, I'm not sure that I have the experience to say anything about "how" you did it.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

You acted. You helped. You survived. The officer not only survived, but continued to accomplish/do his job and arrest the BG's. I'm sure he appreciated your assistance, even if it was unsolicited. As far as I'm concerned you did GOOD!!! Too many would have stood by and just observed without trying t help. I'd have to live with myself IF I were ever in that situation and did not assist. Just sayin!!!
    mg27 likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Some folks are genetically wired to help when help is needed; some folks aren't. Apparently you are wired correctly. Some might say your actions were foolish, possibly, too, even the officer you helped, but I bet he appreciated it and remembers you to this day.
    mg27 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Good job!
    mg27 likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

I actually had a Salem Police Officer tell me that he hoped if he was ever in a situation where BG was getting the upper hand, that an Licensed Carry Citizen would stop and help him out. I had actually not considered that before,

Good for you for stepping in. It must be awfully scary to be alone when the SHTF.
    mg27 and FLArmadillo like this.

mkh
    Sometimes a man has to do what a man should do.

You did well as evidenced by how it turned out.
    mg27 likes this.

I expect them to stayout of my buisness, and I will stay out of theirs.
    mg27 likes this.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

You should be proud of yourself, you did the RIGHT THING.
    mg27 likes this.
    Utah Concealed Firearms Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    I expect them to stayout of my buisness, and I will stay out of theirs.
    Wow, nice guy. Hope you never need help from the police...just sayin
    NiceAsh, mg27, kante and 4 others like this.

I think that your actions were justified. Cowards feel stronger when they outnumber others. By you evening the playing field probably saved his life and I am sure he is grateful for your quick selfless actions. BZ!
    mg27 likes this.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links