Real Scenario at my local Wally World - Page 4

Real Scenario at my local Wally World

This is a discussion on Real Scenario at my local Wally World within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Boy this topic is going south fast....

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Real Scenario at my local Wally World

Boy this topic is going south fast.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    Boy this topic is going south fast.
    They often do.

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    When you say mental illness, do you mean phychological, or are you talking like Autism? Because that's what I think when I envision a mother with a son throwing an out of control/tantrum. You do NOT want to get wrapped up in that sittuation. The "man" may be an emotional 5 year old, and not be able to be reasoned with. His mother knows how to deal with him, but if another person gets involved, it may set him off even more. And autistic kids can be very violent and physical. Another reason to not get involved in domestic disputes.

I understand the feeling of not wanting to stand by while someone gets beat down, but this is another case where if you pull your gun, the mother will probably turn against you, just like a lot of battered women will. Ugly all around.
    Autism was one thing that crossed my mind. But, I had just passed him & his mom earlier and he seemed to be normally conversing with her then. I have a cousin that is autistic and a young man at church is as well. Conversations with them seem to be more one sided than what I observed with this man and his mom.

-

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    Hey tcox, where in SC are you? I'm outside Columbia, myself, and I know a number of cops locally, working in security. They're pretty cool guys, the one's I know. I agree that they do good work here.
    I'm in the Florence area. We have some pretty good officers here.

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    I think that you should check yourself with a comment like that. I've been on the job in NY for 17 years, 5 of them in the South Bronx. I've managed to handle nearly everything one can think of WITHOUT shooting anyone. I've successfully TALKED many people into handcuffs or a visit to the hospital to TALK with someone. I also had my fair share of using force when necessary.

I do take offense to this blanket comment about NYC Police Officers.
    Noted & done!

No offense meant. My thoughts were on some of the stories we've seen in the media this last year. Like I said I have a good friend that retired almost 20yrs ago from the NYPD. (Great Cop!)

-
    NY27 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Sure he did.

He new this within "a few seconds", not minutes, "a few seconds":
    All it took was 10-20 seconds to understand this wasn't a DV situation. But, something different.

Oneshot was right. My objective was to get people thinking on how & what they may look for in assessing a similar situation. Being able to make assessments is an important part of SA.

Some people did panic and actually left their carts and ran out of the store. Others just left the area; and four or five big guys just stood back keeping their distance. I think all are/were viable choices.

I'm sorry if the story fell short & didn't hit the "Rambo" button some people seem to want it to.

-
    suntzu likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Just saying....Op states that big guys are observing at the end of the aisle..you say you will be taking cover behind something at the end of the aisle. I am sorry, I am just trying to picture you with all of these folks hanging around the same place you are taking cover while you are yelling commands. I am going going strictly by the OP. Don't you think it would look odd to folks that do not seem concerned and not taking cover that some guy (you) is.

I do understand what you are trying to do. But I just can't get this comical picture out of my head:A man hiding behind cover where other folks are just standing around....sorry.
    Here is what I said in my original post:

Sorry but I'm not the type of person who would just stand by and be a "good witness" when someone is in danger.

I'd quickly scan the people around me and I'd point to one of the more responsible looking adults and I'd give them the following command: "You! Call 911 immediately! Tell them they MUST send the police NOW! Will you do that for me?" Hopefully the first person I instruct responds with a yes. By doing this I can place my full concentration on where it needs to be.

Since he is already "threatening to hurt her" and "It really looked like it could go bad FAST!", I'd attempt to deescalate the situation while maintaining a safe distance. I'd shout from behind cover at the end of the aisle. I'd say something like, "STOP! STOP! STOP! The Police have been called! Please back away from one another! The police are on their way." Hopefully this will result in some sort of deescalation and we can all wait for the police to arrive without further incident. If it doesn't, I'd continue to say the same thing until the police arrive or until it became evident that physical harm was imminent.
    First of all, standing at the end of the aisle out of the way of the objects being thrown...standing off to the side of the aisle is not like ducking behind cover while in a gunfight.

Obviously after observing the two people for a "few seconds" I would see what the three guys saw and what the OP saw (but failed to share in his original post) instead of "see" what my mind pictured based on the information given in the original post. I would have reacted entirely different since the situations are entirely different once the OP shared the additional facts about what he actually witnessed during his initial assessment of the situation.

The OP got what he wanted...a response to a situation that wasn't present but plausible based on his selective sharing of the facts.

For some odd reason the OP seems like he wanted to show everyone how clever he could be by withholding certain details and that he could bait someone (me) into stating a reaction that would seem so out of place once the additional details were revealed. Ha ha ha, the joke is on me...I fell for it.

Personally, I think it is in very poor taste that the OP would use the story of an outburst by a mentally handicapped person as form of entertainment for himself on this forum to try and bait someone into saying that they would reacting inappropriately toward the mentally handicapped person...that is just sick and inappropriate if you ask me.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 View Post
    You could have said, "I would wait a few seconds and assess the situation to make sure there was not more to this situation than initially appeared."

I think the point of the post was that when you first come upon a situation, you have a very basic idea of what's going on, and what do you do at that point? Do you immediately react, or do you wait a bit longer to fully assess the situation? He did say he immediately thought it was a domestic husband/wife thing, but it was clear that that was before he actually went to go look. I think it was a good example of the importance of checking out all your surroundings (like seeing if someone else has called 911 already) and waiting just a minute until you're 100% sure of what's going on (as long as no one is in physical danger just yet). That's how I took it. I don't think he was trying to trick anyone.
    Sorry, I thought the OP assessed the entire situation for the reader...I was wrong.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy
    The OP got what he wanted...a response to a situation that wasn't present but plausible based on his selective sharing of the facts.

For some odd reason the OP seems like he wanted to show everyone how clever he could be by withholding certain details and that he could bait someone (me) into stating a reaction that would seem so out of place once the additional details were revealed. Ha ha ha, the joke is on me...I fell for it.

Personally, I think it is in very poor taste that the OP would use the story of an outburst by a mentally handicapped person as form of entertainment for himself on this forum to try and bait someone into saying that they would reacting inappropriately toward the mentally handicapped person...that is just sick and inappropriate if you ask me.
    I understand where you're coming from, but I think you're a little too invested in this. It was meant to be a make-you-think moment. The OP was not trying to be a deceitful, malicious smartass as you seem to have just called him. We understand that you originally gave an answer that would have been different had you been given more information. No need for hurt feelings.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    All it took was 10-20 seconds to understand this wasn't a DV situation. But, something different.

Oneshot was right. My objective was to get people thinking on how & what they may look for in assessing a similar situation. Being able to make assessments is an important part of SA.

Some people did panic and actually left their carts and ran out of the store. Others just left the area; and four or five big guys just stood back keeping their distance. I think all are/were viable choices.

I'm sorry if the story fell short & didn't hit the "Rambo" button some people seem to want it to.

-
    Thought you had given us your full assessment of the situation in your original post...we now know that to be wrong. I always assess the situation fully and completely before taking action. I assumed that when you asked, "What would you do?", that you had already given the full and complete assessment and where now asking the reader for reactions. I didn't realize I, as the reader, needed to imagine further assessments and details to your scenario. So now that I know that I am allowed to imagine my own further assessment here it is...I look down the aisle and the two people have calmed down and there now is no need to do anything further but go back to completing my shopping.

And by the way, your "Rambo" comment is all on you since your original post contained an incomplete assessment of the situation. You purposely manipulated the information to paint a picture of something that wasn't happening to get a reaction that you wanted...kind of like what was done to the Zimmerman 911 tape on certain news broadcasts...certain details were purposely left out to give the impression of a different story.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

VIP Member
    Have fun.

I have better things to do with my time.

Bye.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

VIP Member
    Wow. Lots of words in these posts. Can someone make this easy and pick a side for me and let me know who I can insult?

tx,
    PEF

I'd like to know if the police spoke to the mom and asked her why she brought him to the store in the first place. This guy doesn't sound like someone who should be out in public. What if he had actually started beating his mother or the police?
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    I'd like to know if the police spoke to the mom and asked her why she brought him to the store in the first place. This guy doesn't sound like someone who should be out in public. What if he had actually started beating his mother or the police?
    You have got to be kidding me!!!!

We don't lock a person up in this country simply because they have a mental handicap. If it is proven that this person is a danger to himself or others then measured steps need to be taken to help prevent this person from harming himself and others but we don't lock up the handicapped because they have an emotional outburst which didn't harm anyone.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Glad noone got hurt! I am not six three so I always keep potenial danger at least 21 feet.I think when posts like this come up we must remember you are only suppose to engaged your weapon if you feel your life is at risk.This post is exactly the way
    it should be handled.If you want to jump in every confromtation apply to be a cop. Thanks for a great post!!!!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links