Brandishing Weapons To Cut In Line For Gas

This is a discussion on Brandishing Weapons To Cut In Line For Gas within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is why I enjoy this site so. Thanks all for the takes on my post. I'm very glad that I came upon this site ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Brandishing Weapons To Cut In Line For Gas

Scenario question

This is why I enjoy this site so. Thanks all for the takes on my post. I'm very glad that I came upon this site and the wealth of knowledge. My wife and I are soon to be CC'ers and trying to soak every bit of knowledge in.

I would like to think that if I was in the situation mentioned here, I would have made the right decisions to basically sit back, be aware, call 911 and let the idiot on his way. As someone pointed out, the scenario certainly doesn't seem worth the loss of life.

Probably the best words I've read so far on this site, is to put your ego away. I plan to keep that mindset daily as I prepare to carry.

Dan
    tcox4freedom and JDE101 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I would buy gas BEFORE the storm.
    Ahhh geeeeze....good one Brad!

neverenough
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I would buy gas BEFORE the storm.
    Hey Brad: Now at least I know why they consider you a "Distinguished Member". Just got off the phone with my good friend in NJ who cannot believe the idiocy of so many in the NY/NJ area--sounds like Katrina and New Orleans but the difference is that I am referring to people who actually know how to work and make big bucks and have brains in their head instead of Obamamoney.
    As far as the thread is concerned, it always comes down to "presumption of a reasonable person of imminent threat of death or great bodily injury". Last I looked, cutting in line and acting like a fool is not imminent threat and even "brandishing" is not imminent although it is getting close--in SC, you probably could shoot the thug based on that presumption, but in NJ? in NY--not so sure with the lunkhead politicos. If you are CC, you have to learn how to "swallow your bile"---I believe it is your responsibility to do that.

Distinguished Member
    I agree with the consensus here. Seek cover. Call 911 to report MWAG. Wait for the LEOs to handle the situation. Be a good witness. Cell phone video or pics? If he threatens you at gunpoint, it's game on. Defend yourself, you are behind cover. I would not want to get in a gunfight over a stupid tank of gas, but I'm not going to stand there and let him shoot me. If he pointed his weapon at a LEO, he be done. Interesting scenario, no way to know if it really happened. But good to know some options if it happens to you.

Ahhhh.....Escape...Evade...Engage

If I'm 10 or more cars back from the individual showing the weapons, I observe, try to obtain plate number, use cell phone for pics if possible, call 911, keep my vehicle and other vehicles in between as cover, chance of escaping in vehicle is minimal because I'm probably pinned in line, look for avenues to evade and seek better cover/concealment if situation escalates to weapons drawn/fired.

If I'm less than ten cars from the person showing weapons, I observe, try to obtain plate number, use cell phone for pics if possible, call 911, keep my vehicle and others in between as cover, chance of escaping is most likely still minimal due to being pinned in line, SA is borderline going to Red, look for avenues to evade and seek better cover/concealement if situation escalates to weapons drawn/fired. Once situation escalates to Red then MY training and survival instincts take over. My life is in jeopardy, any decisions that I make from that point forward will be with weapon drawn and mindset to defend MY life at all costs.

Although I agree that loss of life, over gasoline, in this type scenario is inexcusable, it does not and will not prevent me in defending myself if the idiot has presented his weapons as if to fire or fires...This will be the potential ENGAGE moment. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    Fox News is reporting that the guy was arrested:

"in Queens, one man was arrested after allegedly pulling a gun after other customers objected to him cutting in line."

Read more: Price gouging, looting and rage: Superstorm Sandy brings out the worst in some | Fox News
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

(Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
    Robert A. Heinlein
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Keep a solid object between you and him, call 911 and give the pertinent details. Draw only if you feel you life is in danger. Let the police handle it. Since this happened in NJ odds are 99% the guy is a thug with no permit.
    mg27 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I would lift up my shirt and show him mine!

Just kidding. Like what most people have said already, I would have just called 911 and let them handle it. However, I would be on alert until they arrived.

Senior Moderator
    It's a good thing this guy was caught. What might be harder to swallow is the thought that someone like this might get away with it due to low resources depending on the situation and length of emergency. It still wouldn't make it ok to shoot the guy or get into some kind of confrontation over gasoline.

I do not think of gasoline as a "life or death" item. I think it would be prudent to stock up on it and it might very well come in handy if you had a gas-powered generator but you certainly could (or at least SHOULD) be able to survive without it. Well, if you are even remotely prepared that is.

I guess I can see it being a "life or death" Item if you are completely unprepared and need it to leave a disaster area to get to a place or people who can help you.

In which case, as Shakespear said, "Tempt not a desperate man." In other words, leave him alone.

He needs to get pistol whipped! But I agree with others, surviving is the name of the game and waiting for gas won't change that. Confronting someone for being a jerk might.

Good to see he was arrested. Doubt he was carrying legally anyway.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I would call 911 with his description and tag number and wait for the cavalry. I would loosen my pistol in its holster and be prepared to handle the threat if the situation escalates.
    Except I don't know how many CCW's have been given to NJ residents....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

I would have opened the trunk and got out the 12 guage....
    Just kidding! The right answer has been posted a bunch.

VIP Member
    I am with everyone else let the LEOs make him first in line for the local lock-up.

Almost forgot, send in the trunk monkey. Suburban Auto Group Trunk Monkey #1 - Road Rage - YouTube
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    I would, if possible, stay out of the situation and call 911.

I would not draw my pistol unless he pulls a gun, then I would take defensive measures.

Your firearm is the last resort.
    +1 I feel the same on this

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links