Strange Non Event Last Night

This is a discussion on Strange Non Event Last Night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and and I were taking our usual walk last night. It was cold and dark, but it's that time of year. Walking on ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By goldshellback
  • 1 Post By GettingOld2
  • 3 Post By Paymeister
  • 1 Post By 1911_Kimber
  • 1 Post By .45acpguy

Thread: Strange Non Event Last Night

My wife and and I were taking our usual walk last night. It was cold and dark, but it's that time of year. Walking on the sidewalk in a residential neighborhood we've walked a thousand times, we heard a male voice yelling Incomprehensibly in a language that I didn't recognize. The voice seemed to be coming from the backyard, behind a tall privacy fence on the left side of a house as we came abreast of that point on the sidewalk out front.

Thinking that maybe he was calling his kids or cheering his team on TV or something, we continued walking. When we were in front of the right side of the house, suddenly the strange yelling was now on the right.

I looked away a moment to shuffle my wife ahead of me as we continued to walk away. The yelling got louder and when I looked back, there was a large male now in front of the fence staring motionless from the shadows.

I put my gloved right hand to my mouth, pulled off the glove with my teeth, and put my now bare hand into my coat pocket.

At that point, the guy said in clear but highly accented English, "Sorry, Sorry", while holding out both of his hands in a warding gesture.

That's it. We continued our walk. It was just weird!

2. Remove Ads

Glad that it turned out to be nothing.

So why take the glove off?

Do you not wear gloves that you can manipulate a sidearm with, and practice doing so for the colder months?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Very vierd!
    EDC=Ruger LCP
    Florida CWFL
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Glad that it turned out to be nothing.

Do you not wear gloves that you can manipulate a sidearm with, and practice doing so for the colder months?
    Where do you find warm gloves that meet your criteria? Not critical, just curious.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Guy couid've been doing any number of things, most of which were legal and unmalicious...... and a few that could've been otherwise.

Good reaction and awareness after a possible 'threat' was ID'd and accounted for. It was a 'seemingly' harmless non-event and glad it was nothing more.

As for removing gloves, I'd do it too if time and the situation accounted for that, but shooting with gloves in the cold is something that should practiced.

Bravo Zulu.
    tcox4freedom and Bark'n like this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    [QUOTE=goldshellback;2447619As for removing gloves, I'd do it too if time and the situation accounted for that, but shooting with gloves in the cold is something that should practiced.

Bravo Zulu.[/QUOTE]

Or move further south. There's a vacant lot next door I'd love to see cleared. Just saying.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post

Actually that's a detail I left out.

I was wearing some thin gloves that I have used on the range a couple of times. The problem was I fumbled the zipper on my pocket.

I have a very small carabiner as a zipper pull on the main zipper of my coat. I think I'll be adding a zipper pull to my pockets.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Sounds like a good training event, actually: you identified a weak spot and nobody got hurt. And you confirmed you could process and act when faced with a sketchy situation.

It's a good day when things go well and threats are only a possibility and not a reality.
    goldshellback likes this.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by GettingOld2 View Post
    Actually that's a detail I left out.

I was wearing some thin gloves that I have used on the range a couple of times. The problem was I fumbled the zipper on my pocket.

I have a very small carabiner as a zipper pull on the main zipper of my coat. I think I'll be adding a zipper pull to my pockets.
    It seems like it's always those small details that get in the way of excellent intentions/plans. Your comment is causing me to review what I am doing with my varied wardrobe choices.

Thank you for sharing that comment--it definitely added value for me!
    tcox4freedom likes this.

mkh
    Alls well that ends well.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Where do you find warm gloves that meet your criteria? Not critical, just curious.
    Driving gloves are usually a good style to look for, a lot of them are thin leather.

Cotton gloves can also be good.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Sounds like he may have been on a bad trip. Certain drugs make you delusional. Nothing wrong with turning and adiosing the area in this situation. Ne need in escalating something you don't need to be a part of.

GH
    I wear cotton gloves like buckeye.45 suggested. I have the habit of drawing my pistol at least 5 times when I'm fully clothed & am ready to go outside. It's surprising how different a change in season can be when attempting a fast draw. Sometimes I'll have to make minor changes to holster positioning to get an efficient draw. With gloves on I've found appendix carry is about the fastest, especially with a half open jacket. I've also found that if I tuck my shirt behind the holster nice & securely all I have to lift is the jacket for strong side carry. If the weather is cool but not cold I'll leave the jacket unzipped partially & then I can reach in without lifting it. This all needs practice to get it right. Cold weather - easy to conceal but more difficult to draw.

I'm glad that everything was okay, GettingOld2!
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Links