The Ultimate Question,: What would YOU do If YOU got pulled over by a LEO?

This is a discussion on The Ultimate Question,: What would YOU do If YOU got pulled over by a LEO? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I ws a LEO and stopped someone that I did not know I would sure want them to tell me up front if they ...

View Poll Results: would you or would you not inform the officer you are carrying?

Voters
240. You may not vote on this poll
  • you would tell him or her

189 78.75%
  • you would not tell him or her

51 21.25%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: The Ultimate Question,: What would YOU do If YOU got pulled over by a LEO?

If I ws a LEO and stopped someone that I did not know I would sure want them to tell me up front if they were carrying.
    To me it is a matter of Peace of Mind for the Officer.
    Ted

S&W9c w/RMR Red Dot, XDS, Wilson X-TAC Compact & ULC Compact
    STI HP Edge 40, STI Trojan 9mm

NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Agreed, its BS. Let's be blunt, if whomever they are pulling over really wants them dead, chances are they will be.
    I have the opposite mentality. Someone can want me dead all they want. They'll have a hell of a time accomplishing it however. A survival mentality is paramount.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    My first thought is "don't speed" while carrying. As CCW permit holders, we have a responsibility to obey all laws. We should even go beyond the letter of the law when necessary. The more responsibly we behave as individuals, the better it is for all CCW permit holders.
    Thank you Ben. I really shake my head when I read threads where members talk about their speeding tickets etal. IMO, when you are CC, you are now a timid, no testosterone wimp when it comes to interractions on the road, including traffic violations, or anywhere that can lead to a confrontation. You wanna be a big shot and the big dog on the block, you should not be CCing---in the long run it will eventually cause you untold legal and civil problems.
    Glhadiator likes this.

Did you send them a bill for a new paint job? Okay, not wanting to stir the pot, but I had to say that. Some people get very finicky over their cars.

I have been pulled over maybe 3 times since I've had a ccw. While I'm not required to inform the officer unless he asks, I have opted to inform them each time out of simple courtesy. In each case it was an absolute non issue with each of those officers. In fact, I have never been issued a citation after being stopped on those occurrences.

There are occasions, such as the one you just experienced where maybe it's not such a good idea to volunteer that information if you're not required to. I can see both sides. It just takes one bad experience to really put a bad taste in your mouth regarding all traffic stops.

One thing is true. When you are stopped by an LEO for a traffic violation, you have no way of knowing that LEO's feelings towards politics and gun issues are. It's completely a hit or miss type proposition. I would venture to say, you can have 10 more traffic stops in a row where you inform the LEO of your ccw status and absolutely nothing untoward occurs.

From what I've seen and read, bad encounters with LEO's after informing them of your ccw status are relatively rare. It certainly has been in my personal experience. But when it happens to you, it can certain ruin your attitude for the day.

I've heard of a few bad encounters. I understand that. But until I personally run into a bad experience myself, I have continued to inform the LEO's out of courtesy. Again, in my state, it's not required unless they ask you first. They are going to find out anyway when they run my drivers license for routine traffic check. The way I look at it, if I were an LEO, I would appreciate a motorist who informs me when we make first contact just so I know. I wouldn't let my guard down, because just because someone informs me doesn't mean they are not a bad guy... But by the same token, I would think someone who is upfront about it, is a person who is less likely to do something stupid.

I will say that each time I've been pulled over, I've consciously considered whether I should inform them or not because of reading about bad encounters. But each time, when the officer approached the window, I have decided to inform them and pass him my ccw permit along with my drivers license. So far, I've never regretted doing that. And never received a ticket either.

Sorry about your bad encounter. Good luck with however you choose to do things in the future.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I was trailing my boat to a ramp, and blew a trailer tire. I pulled off to the side of the road and was changing it. A Fl hiway pat officer ( a sergeant) stopped and turned on his blue light to help protect us from the traffic.
    While working on it , I said "by the way, I have a permit and my weapon is at 3:00 IWB".
    He said "I'm cool with it. what are you carrying?"
    I said "Smith 642". He said: "Thats what my wife carries off duty. Shes a Deputy Sheriff"

The last gun show I went to had a lot of LEOs there. (They get in for free by showing badges and/or in uniform) I asked a few of them this question.
    " I am writing an article for a gun magazine. If you do a traffic stop or something non-criminal, do ypou wnat to have the driver/occupant inform that he is carrying?"
    The concensus was: IF you have it on your person or readily at hand, do inform. If its in a glove box/centerconsole and not at hand, don't bother, UNLESS you must go into that compartment for you legal papers. AT all times keep your hands where thye can be seen and do not reach near the gun.
    They also indicated that MOST departments have training sessions for this very scenerio.
    Florida LEOs are cool with armed citizens. One officer said hes not afraid of someone who informs. Hes afraid of someone who doesnt.

Many departments here ride 2 officers to a car. so heres a scenerio, which could obviously go really bad.
    You get pulled over for a traffic offense. The officer is at your window asking for your papers. You reach for your wallet in your right hip pocket, and in doing so, it uncovers your gun. Your hand now is very close to the gun and the other officer is at your passenger side window and sees your hand almost on the gun. What do you think will happen next?

Thats why I inform
    Truckinbutch likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    ...You reach for your wallet in your right hip pocket, and in doing so, it uncovers your gun. Your hand now is very close to the gun and the other officer is at your passenger side window and sees your hand almost on the gun. What do you think will happen next?

Thats why I inform

That's why I switched my wallet to my other side.

Bullseye...I nearly fell off my chair on your reply.lol.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Here in TN...it is better to tell that you are carrying when the officer approaches the car. Once we run your TDL #, the computer will note if you have a HCP and believe me, it's better to know before than find out later.
    Proud NRA member

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    been pulled over twice while carrying in my vette, (it draws attention, one was for 5 over) and here in Texas never had a police officer react like that...In fact I have received a warning both times instead of a ticket..always be polite, keep hands visable, officer only asked where and what type of gun I was carrying, we're a must inform state...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I'm required by law to inform the officer if I carry concealed, if pulled over while in the vehicle, by state law in SC.

I inform because I'm required by law, in South Carolina, to inform...Even if it wasn't the law, I'd still inform.

For those that bash the LEO's for their attitude, their approach, their actions, etc...put the shoe on your foot. YOU are the LEO, and your life is on the line everytime you go on duty. What precautions would you take? What voice would you use when encountering a violator? What would your choices be dependent upon attitude, sex, race, etc.? If the person in front of you is such an outstanding citizen, why have they violated the law and caused the encounter that you are having with them in the first place? They don't know you from adam's housecat, and neither does the LEO know them from adam's housecat. With that being said, don't you think if you were a LEO that you would err on the side of safety, rather than trying to prove you were just a good ole boy doing a thankless job and you are so sorry that you have to ruin their day/night...

How about if you are in the military. You've been trained to a standard. Are you going to sit back and let John Q citizen tell you how to perform your job or will you operate based on the ROE's and regulations and tactics under which you've been trained?

How about a Nurse...Are you going to let the patient tell you how to proceed with patient care?

How about the OP...Would you let one of your customers stand there while you are tearing down a transmission, and direct you on what your next step will be in repairing that transmission? Or, will you do it the way you know it has to be done and choose to tell the customer to get outa your face or perhaps be nice and explain to the customer what you are doing and why...

I could go on and on..

For the majority of folks, we sometimes take men and women in uniform for granted, UNTIL we need their services (i.e. EMT's, paramedics, Fireman, LEO's, Military, etc). Then we expect them to be "johnny on the spot", but we often times still try to tell them how to do their own job..

Yeah, there are "JERKS" in all walks of life...Jerk Nurses, Jerk Transmission Repair Men, Jerk LEO's, etc...But I would venture that most are just doing their jobs to the best of their ability...

Bottom line, I may not particularly like a LEO's attitude, nor may I like their actions, but it behooves me to follow their lead until the situation is over. I always have avenues, after the fact, to either file a complaint or a pat on the back. JMO
    kb2wji likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

My opinion, it will put them at ease for you to be up front. I have had several encounters with LEOs while carrying and I typically just give them my CCW card with insurance & DL. They tend to look at the CCW card & let me go with a warning (state troopers aside).

I drive all day long at work & as a result I tend to be a little lead footed. Thankfully my dealings with police have been positive.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    I said "Smith 642". He said: "Thats what my wife carries off duty. Shes a Deputy Sheriff"
    You sure that wasn't a veiled insult?
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Context is everything. If pulled over in my home area for speeding or other basic traffic infraction, no, I would not make a point of telling the officer I was carrying because
    #1, there is no duty to do so in my state.
    #2, the officer will be informed of my CCW permit when calling in my info anyway. In fact, the MS CCW permit number is the same as the MS DL number.
    #3, probably every other vehicle in MS has a gun in it; no permit needed. LEOs know this as well as anyone.

Were I to state the obvious, I'd expect a reaction of "And your point is?" from most of the LEOs around here. This is the reaction my husband got when voluntarily disclosing. The officer was polite enough not to roll his eyes after being informed... and issuing the ticket anyway.

Now - if I were pulled over while driving through LA, I would disclose because there is a legal obligation to do so.

Absent a legal obligation, all you can do is use your best judgement. I like to keep my LEO interactions as brief and bland (and rare) as possible.

Just my opinion.
    yz9890 likes this.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

The Ultimate Question,: What would YOU do If YOU got pulled over by a LEO?

the semi-annual "will you/won't you inform" thread came a little early. same stuff. some extremely concerned about about how a LEO might feel and others who will not volunteer a word beyond the nature of the stop. not much middle ground. it does seem that some people get a kick out of telling someone they're carrying a gun and others get a kick out of telling a cop to get bent.

I keep it to myself unless asked to get out of the car (while carrying a gun). so far, no LEO has said anything about it. been stopped twice. asked to get out once.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links