The Ultimate Question,: What would YOU do If YOU got pulled over by a LEO?

This is a discussion on The Ultimate Question,: What would YOU do If YOU got pulled over by a LEO? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; - Would NOT unless they specifically asked - Minnesota law states that you must divulge when asked. I just got pulled over by Minneapolis police ...

View Poll Results: would you or would you not inform the officer you are carrying?

Voters
241. You may not vote on this poll
  • you would tell him or her

190 78.84%
  • you would not tell him or her

51 21.16%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: The Ultimate Question,: What would YOU do If YOU got pulled over by a LEO?

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Would NOT unless they specifically asked - Minnesota law states that you must divulge when asked.

I just got pulled over by Minneapolis police for a suspected moving violation. He did not ask...I did not tell.

Quote Originally Posted by ttyndall View Post
    If I ws a LEO and stopped someone that I did not know I would sure want them to tell me up front if they were carrying.
    To me it is a matter of Peace of Mind for the Officer.
    IMO, peace of mind for them is their ignorance to my lawful state.
    9MMare likes this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

2. Remove Ads

This has not happened to me, however, if ever pulled over by an LEO, here's what was recommended in a recent training class I took:

Pull over, point tires at the curb, turn off ignition, remove keys and place on dashboard, take out driver's license and CCW permit, hand both to the LEO, keep both hands on the steering wheel, in plain view of the LEO. If he/she asks if you are carrying, respond yes, and indicate the location (right hip, left hip, etc...). These actions let the LEO know you are not going anywhere and can be trusted.

From that point, the response of the LEO depends on any number of factors. My instructor explained that it's entirely possible the LEO may ask you step out of the car, remove your firearm and then cuff you while writing the citation. This may seem extreme but it's for their own protection. There have been well-publicized instances in CO where cops were shot and/or killed during routine traffics stops. Being warned that this may happen was very helpful for me and I also slowed down (just a little ) while driving.

Quote Originally Posted by SLS075 View Post
    ...This may seem extreme but it's for their own protection.
    I keep reading that but it doesn't make it acceptable IMO. I'll be avoiding that possibility all together. A guy in a pilot uniform being cuffed on the side of the road would cause a traffic jam while people slowed down to take pictures and send to the local news.

Whether in a state that requires I inform or not, I am going to give them my DL and CHL, period. They are right beside each other in the wallet. It doesn't take any more time to get both, and I stopped thinking of LEO's as bad guys a couple of decades ago when I stopped doing stupid things like speeding, running lights/signs, and other various things that get one pulled over.

Folks can talk about their rights, or wanting to take apart the officers gun or whatever all they want, but I think it is just ignorant. Every state in the Union has laws on the books that give LEO's the authority to do their job. There are no laws on the books that give you the authority of being a pain in the rear to those officers.

That is my take on it. If you disagree, don't read it or don't take a CHL class from me so you won't have to hear it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Whether in a state that requires I inform or not, I am going to give them my DL and CHL, period. They are right beside each other in the wallet. It doesn't take any more time to get both, and I stopped thinking of LEO's as bad guys a couple of decades ago when I stopped doing stupid things like speeding, running lights/signs, and other various things that get one pulled over.

Folks can talk about their rights, or wanting to take apart the officers gun or whatever all they want, but I think it is just ignorant. Every state in the Union has laws on the books that give LEO's the authority to do their job. There are no laws on the books that give you the authority of being a pain in the rear to those officers.

That is my take on it. If you disagree, don't read it or don't take a CHL class from me so you won't have to hear it.
    First of all your last sentence should be first..by the time you get to it you have read the post LOL Anyhoo, just how on earth is not telling the LEO you have a CCP when you do not have to being a pain in the rear? I am polite with every encounter with a LEO and don't inform unless I have to. So, where am I wrong and how am I being a pain in the rear? Just curious cause of I was in your class I would ask you those questions....
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

There are no laws on the books that give you the authority of being a pain in the rear to those officers.
    A little one sided? Slapping on a badge doesn't give you the right to act like a tool, even if some system of let's collectively play pretend (law) makes you think you have the authority. I keep hearing about how they shouldn't have to take crap from citizens, well, I shouldn't have to take any of theirs either. I've never treated an officer with disrespect and I expect the same in return. If they don't like it, well then they should have thought twice about being held to a higher standard.
    suntzu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    First of all your last sentence should be first..by the time you get to it you have read the post LOL Anyhoo, just how on earth is not telling the LEO you have a CCP when you do not have to being a pain in the rear? I am polite with every encounter with a LEO and don't inform unless I have to. So, where am I wrong and how am I being a pain in the rear? Just curious cause of I was in your class I would ask you those questions....
    And I would ask you what you did to get pulled over in the first place. Most probably you did something you weren't supposed to, which means you did something to initiate the encounter, causing the officer to do his job. Secondly, I would ask you how much time you have to spend on the side of the road with that officer who is getting paid whether he stays there with you, or is driving around someplace else. Third I would remind you that in Texas you have an obligation to inform the officer, as we would have just covered this portion of the law, and in the states that surround us up here, AR, LA, OK, you also have to inform. I would also tell you that unless you have a really good memory and can remember every state that is a must inform vs. those that are not, your safest bet is to simply inform. They can't take you to jail for that, but they certainly can, or at least fine you for not informing if you forgot that states laws. I would also tell you that if you plan for the worst, just like you are planning for the worst by getting your CHL, you have a lower likelyhood of things going down hill. If you get the nice officer who simply says, thanks for letting me know, all is well. If you don't inform and get the pain in the rear officer who takes offense, well again, how much extra time do you have to be on the side of the road.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Whether in a state that requires I inform or not, I am going to give them my DL and CHL, period.
    uh oh. he spelled period. symbol of absolute and irrefutable truth. ;)

I plan on informing when i carry while out of state. I can remember when I cross a state line.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    A little one sided? Slapping on a badge doesn't give you the right to act like a tool, even if some system of let's collectively play pretend (law) makes you think you have the authority. I keep hearing about how they shouldn't have to take crap from citizens, well, I shouldn't have to take any of theirs either. I've never treated an officer with disrespect and I expect the same in return. If they don't like it, well then they should have thought twice about being held to a higher standard.
    Who said by simply putting a badge on they are going to act like a tool? BTW, officers are citizens as well.

Is it crap for the officer to ask if you have any weapons on you? After all, isn't their job to enforce the laws. If you don't let them know you are licensed to carry a handgun, and they have to ask, it is making their job more difficult. They have to take extra steps to finish their task. Whereas if you simply give them your DL and CHL up front, which causes you zero hardship, they already know you have a weapon and are licensed to have that weapon, saving everyone time.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

And I would ask you what you did to get pulled over in the first place. Most probably you did something you weren't supposed to, which means you did something to initiate the encounter, causing the officer to do his job. Secondly, I would ask you how much time you have to spend on the side of the road with that officer who is getting paid whether he stays there with you, or is driving around someplace else. Third I would remind you that in Texas you have an obligation to inform the officer, as we would have just covered this portion of the law, and in the states that surround us up here, AR, LA, OK, you also have to inform. I would also tell you that unless you have a really good memory and can remember every state that is a must inform vs. those that are not, your safest bet is to simply inform. They can't take you to jail for that, but they certainly can, or at least fine you for not informing if you forgot that states laws. I would also tell you that if you plan for the worst, just like you are planning for the worst by getting your CHL, you have a lower likelyhood of things going down hill. If you get the nice officer who simply says, thanks for letting me know, all is well. If you don't inform and get the pain in the rear officer who takes offense, well again, how much extra time do you have to be on the side of the road.
    First of all try using paragraphs.
    Second: I just moved to Texas this summer and DO know the laws here.
    Thrid: Does it matter why I got pulled over? Nope. In fact, 2 out 3 times the LEO was wrong and I got no ticket or warning.
    Fourth:What does this have to be with being a pain in the rear?
    Fitth: If I do not inform and do not have to how will the officer ever know?
    Sixth:I thought the LEO's worked for us ya know, to protect and to serve or whatever. Why on earth is it my job to tell him about something I do not have to. I am sorry if they feel uneasy with the unkown but since most of their stops are with folks that don't carry then they are used to that anyway. And quite frankly if they are not they need a nother job.
    And again, I am always polite and courteous even to a jack arse that had pulled me over before. So I guess we just disagree.
    9MMare likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

If you don't inform and get the pain in the rear officer who takes offense, well again, how much extra time do you have to be on the side of the road.
    This still leaves the case of you being polite and do notify at which point they become pain in the rear officer. This is the case that I find objectionable. The excuse of safety is not sufficient justification for this type of behavior.
    A citizen who has already acquiesced to them by pulling over, assumed the correct position, and notified them of a weapon in a safe condition is extremely unlikely to be the one who is going to shoot at them. It is one thing to maintain due vigilance, it is another to be a jerk just because you think you can.

Who said by simply putting a badge on they are going to act like a tool? BTW, officers are citizens as well.
    From the original post:
    He barked out DON'T MOVE! as he reached a hand to his Baretta. He continued with" NOW, SLOWLY. WITH THESE TWO FINGERS OF YOUR LEFT HAND"! Indicating with his thumb and middle fingers. "PULL THE GUN OUT AND HAND IT TO ME! SLOWLY"! He then proceeded to take the magazine out and tossed it onto the roof of my car, then he worked the action to remove the Cor-Bon 165 grain .45 out of the chamber. He stood that up on my roof then with the action open he tossed my gun onto the roof.
    That, as presented, is acting like a tool. Did the OP do something else to precipitate this type reaction? I don't know. In the absence of such an action, this behavior on the part of the officer is inexcusable.
    Is it crap for the officer to ask if you have any weapons on you? After all, isn't their job to enforce the laws. If you don't let them know you are licensed to carry a handgun, and they have to ask, it is making their job more difficult. They have to take extra steps to finish their task. Whereas if you simply give them your DL and CHL up front, which causes you zero hardship, they already know you have a weapon and are licensed to have that weapon, saving everyone time.
    Asking if there are weapons present, etc is very different than what was described in the original post that I repeated above. With respect to all of the walk a mile in their shoes comments, it works both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    First of all try using paragraphs.
    Second: I just moved to Texas this summer and DO know the laws here.
    Thrid: Does it matter why I got pulled over? Nope. In fact, 2 out 3 times the LEO was wrong and I got no ticket or warning.
    Fourth:What does this have to be with being a pain in the rear?
    Fitth: If I do not inform and do not have to how will the officer ever know?
    Sixth:I thought the LEO's worked for us ya know, to protect and to serve or whatever. Why on earth is it my job to tell him about something I do not have to. I am sorry if they feel uneasy with the unkown but since most of their stops are with folks that don't carry then they are used to that anyway. And quite frankly if they are not they need a nother job.
    And again, I am always polite and courteous even to a jack arse that had pulled me over before. So I guess we just disagree.
    Do you have your Texas CHL? If so, you went through the 10 hr course which included Non Violent Dispute Resolution.

Do you remember the 3 ego states and the answer to a question on the test about the most effect communication taking place when folks remain in a certain ego state.

Taking the attitude that "I don't have to, or you can't make me" certainly falls into the "child" ego state which isn't the answer to the question, (trying not to give any specific info about the Texas test), and isn't the most effective ego state to be in during a traffic stop.

Why one gets pulled over, certainly can make a difference. And if you don't tell the officer, he might never find out, but then again, he might. Based on your reactions and responses to his questions, he may or may not decide to make the stop last long enough to find a reason to ask you out of the car, and do a search or whatever.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Do you have your Texas CHL? If so, you went through the 10 hr course which included Non Violent Dispute Resolution.

Do you remember the 3 ego states and the answer to a question on the test about the most effect communication taking place when folks remain in a certain ego state.

Taking the attitude that "I don't have to, or you can't make me" certainly falls into the "child" ego state which isn't the answer to the question, (trying not to give any specific info about the Texas test), and isn't the most effective ego state to be in during a traffic stop.

Why one gets pulled over, certainly can make a difference. And if you don't tell the officer, he might never find out, but then again, he might. Based on your reactions and responses to his questions, he may or may not decide to make the stop last long enough to find a reason to ask you out of the car, and do a search or whatever.
    What does one have to do with my post? I have to inform in TX so TX is a non issue. And I don't give a hoot about what the officer feels and thinks. I expect of him to do his job professionaly, competently, and with respect. I would like to think the officer would hold me to those standards. If I am in a state where there is no duty to inform then I will not. If the officer feels uneasy about it,well, that is too darn bad.

It is not an attitude problem with me. I am and always will be respectful to officers. I don;t give a hoot if someone informs even if they do not have to. I quite frankly don't understand why someone gives a hoot if I do or not.

Oh, as far as all the psycho babble.....well, I treat situations as they come and I have been just fine getting out of tickets with just warnings. So The CHL class in my mind was about as uselsss as others I have been to. I know how interrogations work from both sides of the table which makes it all the more amusing when I detect a LEO asking questions that are not relevent to the stop.. That is my opinion.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I believe I've been pulled over for speeding twice since I started always carrying, and both times I completely forgot my gun was even on me. Personally, since I live in a state where you do not need to inform, I see no upside in informing. If the situation during the traffic stop changed and I needed to inform him, then I would.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links