The Ultimate Question,: What would YOU do If YOU got pulled over by a LEO? - Page 6

The Ultimate Question,: What would YOU do If YOU got pulled over by a LEO?

This is a discussion on The Ultimate Question,: What would YOU do If YOU got pulled over by a LEO? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; They know before they approach: 1) when they pull you over first thing's first they run your tag and it will come up if you ...

View Poll Results: would you or would you not inform the officer you are carrying?

Voters
241. You may not vote on this poll
  • you would tell him or her

190 78.84%
  • you would not tell him or her

51 21.16%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: The Ultimate Question,: What would YOU do If YOU got pulled over by a LEO?

They know before they approach:
    1) when they pull you over first thing's first they run your tag and it will come up if you have a CCL so they already know before they approach your vehicle if your licensed to carry

Be upfront honesty is the best policy and if you’re legally carrying then you have nothing too hid:
    2) when they ask for your DL, registration, and POI I’d include my CCL and as I'm handing it to them I'd tell them "I’m licensed to carry and I have a firearm in the car" don't just blurt out "I have a gun" that could trigger an unnecessary response from any partners within ear-shot that will only hear "I have a gun" causing them to responding with a knee-jerk reaction

When asked to retrieve and surrender my loaded-firearm how I’d reply:
    3) if they asked me to hand them over my loaded-firearm I would reply; With all due respect officer I don’t feel comfortable reaching down and handing you a loaded firearm, how would you like to proceed? Then I’d follow their order of compliance

4) I'd also like to add that since they will already know that you are licensed to carry before they approach your vertical I would keep my hands on the steering wheel and in plan sight so they can see them at all times because they are already going to be apprehensive about you having a loaded-firearm in your vehicle

5) and if it took place at night I would turn on all the interior lights so they could get a "good-look around" inside of my vehicle while standing outside to doth their apprehension and try to put them at ease as much as possible too

That’s just how I would respond during a traffic stop YMWV
    Last edited by zamboni; November 14th, 2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: spilling buy miss taken key strikes

Cops experience so much senerios,crazyness,lunes,out in the streets every day and night,it comes with the job. I dont envey them. Remember he doesnt know you. He might of had a bad experience before according to his behavior. You ever watch world criminal behavior,cops, police chase, dumest criminals,etc.?? .... Hes just playing it safe.... Sorry for the ticket though.

The Ultimate Question,: What would YOU do If YOU got pulled over by a LEO?

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    They know before they approach:
    1) when they pull you over first thing's first they run your tag and it will come up if you have a CCL so they already know before they approach your vehicle if your licensed to carry.
    not all states have their databases connected to the DMV and there's nothing dishonest about keeping it to yourself.
    ArkhmAsylm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    not all states have their databases connected to the DMV and there's nothing dishonest about keeping it to yourself.
    Most now do. Hard to believe that any don't. And it isn't about being dishonest, unless you are asked and you lie about it, or unless your area mandates you tell the LEO that your armed and you don't.

It is about being upfront and not being preserved as trying to hiding something too. Most LEO will appropriate the fact that you are being straight forward with them. If they happen to find out on their own that your armed it could go bad for you in a heartbeat. The more respect you show the more respect you'll get in return.

I'd have both hands on the steering wheel, inform them that I'm licensed to carry and happen to being doing so and then ask them how I should proceed about retrieving my DL, CWP, and proof of insurance.

I'd also probably do the same if I was in a state where I didn't have to inform. I've had quite a few experiences with LEO's that left a bad taste in my mouth, so I'd rather tell them instead of them finding out and treating me like a criminal.

Side note: ^^^ I'm not bashing LE or grouping them all together. I know there's more good ones out there than there are bad, so sorry if it may come off the wrong way.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Originally Posted by yz9890

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    Most now do. Hard to believe that any don't. And it isn't about being dishonest, unless you are asked and you lie about it, or unless your area mandates you tell the LEO that your armed and you don't.

It is about being upfront and not being preserved as trying to hiding something too. Most LEO will appropriate the fact that you are being straight forward with them. If they happen to find out on their own that your armed it could go bad for you in a heartbeat. The more respect you show the more respect you'll get in return.
    Minnesota, for one, does not allow a statewide searchable database of permit holders to be created or kept.

Whether the officer perceives that I am hiding something or not, it still does not make my choice to not incriminate myself inappropriate. While I'd generally agree that most LEO's would appreciate your being forthcoming, they aren't the ones I worry about - it's the few who do not appreciate citizens being legally armed.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I typically pull over and ready my ID while rolling down the window. I don't like to go for my registration and insurance until asked since it is across the jeep in the glove box. Hands on the wheel and car is turned off, the officer tells me why I was pulled over and before moving my hands I say something along the lines of "Fair enough, before I grab my papers I just have to let you know I AM carrying concealed on my right hip" I've never had any problems, must officers don't seem bothered and once they give the go ahead I grab my papers. I've never had an officer ask to hold my gun or get upset.

Alaska doesn't require a license provided the carrier is 21YOA and a non-felon. In all fairness it is a "must inform state" but I don't think I would change my habits regardless of the rules. LEOs here in Alaska have had a rough year and anything I can do to make their job protecting my community easier and safer I am more than willing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Akachibisaru View Post
    I have been reading all sorts of gun related matter for many years. I have seen the question bantered back and forth of should you, or should you not inform a LEO of the fact that you have a CCW permit and in fact have a handgun in the immediate vicinity of or on you? Well I have read hypotheticals on both sides and only came to a decision when I got pulled over for speeding by a Washington State Trooper in my 68 Chevy Nova SS. As I said, I had read the situation both ways and decided that I would inform him that I was a CCW holder and that my S&W 4516 was in my waistband. The troopers demeanor instantly changed from slightly annoyed to all business! He barked out DON'T MOVE! as he reached a hand to his Baretta. He continued with" NOW, SLOWLY. WITH THESE TWO FINGERS OF YOUR LEFT HAND"! Indicating with his thumb and middle fingers. "PULL THE GUN OUT AND HAND IT TO ME! SLOWLY"! He then proceeded to take the magazine out and tossed it onto the roof of my car, then he worked the action to remove the Cor-Bon 165 grain .45 out of the chamber. He stood that up on my roof then with the action open he tossed my gun onto the roof. He then proceeded to silently write me a speeding ticket for 10+ miles over the limit. After he handed me my citation he handed me back my bullet. Then the full magazine and finally, he handed me back my gun and said, "DON'T LOAD IT TILL AFTER I LEAVE"! That was the last time I told a cop I was carrying a gun.
    Well it was a dumb decision (obviously) since the law in this state says you dont have to. And he would have known when he went back to his car and got on the computer.

I never have said. Been stopped 4 times....2 for lights out, 2 for expired tabs....never said....only got one ticket (for tabs)...and had zero issues.

Cops are all different, just like regular people. Get over it, nothing really happened.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    For everybody that says "an officer just wants to get home safe to his family" I have this to ask-How many LEO's have been shot on a traffic stop by a CCp holder that notified him he had a firearm on him?

That arguement does not even make sense. Besides, I thought the whole idea of nitifying (if it is your option) is to put the officer at ease and to be courteous. Which BTW I don't understand either. You can be polite and courteous while doing what you are allowed to legally and how on earth is it putting the officer at ease if he didn't kknow you had a gun any way.
    Agreed. I trained to do car stops as a park ranger and we were trained to treat every car, every passenger, like they 'could be a threat.' That didnt mean action, it meant observation.

Criminals dont 'tell you' they have weapons. You have to use the same caution every time.
    MrsHB likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by paullie View Post
    my plan is to hand them my CDL and my permission slip saying that i can use my 2A right (for now).
    I like it! I may have to steal it
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    I haven't been stopped since getting my permit, but in all likelihood I will inform.

Why?

We dont have to.

What is your reasoning behind that choice? I really do not understand why some people consider it a 'courtesy?' (Not that you in particular said that)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by ttyndall View Post
    If I ws a LEO and stopped someone that I did not know I would sure want them to tell me up front if they were carrying.
    To me it is a matter of Peace of Mind for the Officer.
    That's a good way for a cop to get killed IMO.

They have to assume EVERYONE is armed.
    MrsHB likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by SLS075 View Post
    . These actions let the LEO know you are not going anywhere and can be trusted.

From that point, the response of the LEO depends on any number of factors. My instructor explained that it's entirely possible the LEO may ask you step out of the car, remove your firearm and then cuff you while writing the citation. This may seem extreme but it's for their own protection. There have been well-publicized instances in CO where cops were shot and/or killed during routine traffics stops. Being warned that this may happen was very helpful for me and I also slowed down (just a little ) while driving.
    They should NEVER trust you if they want a long life and they are taught that.

And while traffic stops are the 2nd most dangerous thing cops do (domestic calls are THE most dangerous)...and all cops are taught that, I havent heard of those cop killings being done by permit holders. They are done by criminals trying to escape. (Maybe it's happened, I just havent read of it)

The 'courtesy' that I do for cops if pulled over is have my hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel as they approach and address me. I dont reach for my wallet or registration or anything else unless asked. I do not (have to) inform.

Having been a LEO, that simple action: hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel speaks volumes...it's someone who knows the top priority on your mind as you approach.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by SLS075 View Post
    the LEO may ask you step out of the car, remove your firearm and then cuff you while writing the citation. This may seem extreme but it's for their own protection. .
    This would infuriate me....there is absolutely no reason why I should be humiliated in public just for obeying the law, for carrying out a licensed privilege (hard to call cc a right, as much as I'd like to)
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    There are no laws on the books that give you the authority of being a pain in the rear to those officers.

:
    My not (legally) informing is not being a PIA. I dont think all (or most) cops are bad. I behave respectfully and I expect them to behave professionally.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Links