The Ultimate Question,: What would YOU do If YOU got pulled over by a LEO? - Page 8

The Ultimate Question,: What would YOU do If YOU got pulled over by a LEO?

This is a discussion on The Ultimate Question,: What would YOU do If YOU got pulled over by a LEO? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Personal policy is to always inform any LEO of the weapon(s) on my person or in my possession. I have the utmost respect for the ...

View Poll Results: would you or would you not inform the officer you are carrying?

Voters
241. You may not vote on this poll
  • you would tell him or her

190 78.84%
  • you would not tell him or her

51 21.16%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: The Ultimate Question,: What would YOU do If YOU got pulled over by a LEO?

Personal policy is to always inform any LEO of the weapon(s) on my person or in my possession. I have the utmost respect for the men and women who tackle a difficult job every day, and most days with the same grace and kindness they're shown. I legally own the weapons in my arsenal and know they are all clean and haven't ever been out of my control or involved in anything nefarious. The LEO's are only going to secure them for safety sake and since I have absolutely zero intent to cause an LEO harm, and doubt they intend to harm me, it's proves to a degree you're likely not a threat and a responsible gun owner. With all the less than intelligent and/or noble gun owners in the world, it never hurts to be a good will ambassador, if you will.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    States have laws to cover this. Some states have what they call , no duty to inform unless asked by the officer. Others have , a duty to inform upon initial contact, meaning those better be the first words out of your mouth after the officer speaks to you. If you live in one of these States and you don't inform the officer, you are breaking the law and will probably lose your permit. Check the law on this in your state.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    The poll does not include all that needs to be included. Like sioux565 said, it's the law that you must inform the officer upon initial contact in some states. In others, no duty to inform. However, in talking to many police officers about this very thing, even in the no duty to inform states,they say they would like to be told as a professional courtesy. Gotta be some LEO's out there, what say you.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

In S.C.,if you are asked for an id,by a LEO,and you are carrying,you are required to let the LEO know.The 1st time it happened to me,i was pulled for speeding,and was carrying.When he got up to the car.i just gave him,my d.l.and my,ccw permit.That obviously,told him,i was carrying.He asked me,where on me,was my gun,and i showed him.I'm sure,when he walked back to his car,he ran my ccw number,but,that was it,so far,as gun.

a few weeks ago, I was pulled over for 50 in a 40 zone. 10:15PM on a less traveled road.
    First i pull over turn on the interior lights and await the officer.
    Officer: good evening sir, you know the reason why I pulled you over'
    Me Yes i do sir, I'm coming home from my Part time employer in Maine, and I really do appologize, as it's been a very long day.
    Officer Lic and reg please.
    Me: BTW sir, I am carrying a Glock 23 40 cal and have a Pistol and revolver license. (in NH we're not required to inform the officer if we're armed)
    Officer: sir may i please see your CCW License.
    I hand everything to him and kept my hands in plain view. I also tell him I will do what he wishes, and will keep my hands in full view for his safety.
    After 2 min the officer comes back, hands me all my paperwork and says "thank you sir, I really do appreciate your honesty about carrying your handgun. We are always in this area with radar, so please remember to slow down when passing thru on your way home. Have a safe night"
    I then say "thank you sir, I will remember what you said, and thank you so very much for not citing me. I also wish you a safe night"
    He then walks back to his cruiser gets into his car, and makes a U Turn.
    Can't get any better than that.
    Truckinbutch, ChrisMia and Aceoky like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

The Ultimate Question,: What would YOU do If YOU got pulled over by a LEO?

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    My standard answer (revisited)...

I think a LEO contacting a civilian on a traffic stop boils down to this...we (LEO) are working to enforce the law and we are very HYPERVIGILANT and you (the CCW civilian) are an UNKNOWN to us, in your personal car and committing a violation that gives us the probable/reasonable/ justifiable cause to conduct a stop/lawful detention on you and your vehicle.

Just saying...HYPERVIGILANT vs. UNKNOWN in our book means we will not let you control how our contact evolves with you. Just remember LEO's deal with bad guys too. People get pulled over not just because they drive like idiots but traffic enforcement is also a time honored way of nabbing criminals with narcotics, warrants, bodies, stolen goods, burglary tools and imagine this...guns.

Don't forget that a CCL/CCW permit does not automatically make you a known innocent (yet). Earn that by understanding our position, being mature, and using your intelligence to articulate your concerns to us.

Bottom line though is that the uniformed officer has control...no apologies here - it just needs to be that way.

That said there are some less than stellar LEO's out there. I hate that and encourage that a formal complaint should be filed for violations of your safety or bad demeanor towards you. Just sayin...you may feel his demeanor is unprofessional, but 99% of the the time the mobile video tells a different story than yours.
    I understand this from my VERY short 2 years in LE. Having worn the shoe on both feet makes what you are saying very valid and articulate.
    Rob
    -----------
    Play in the heavens baby girl. For we will again one day see you.
    Gracie Rae P Nov 16,2004 - Sept 2,2012
    Forever daddy's girl!
    -----------

In NC, we are required to notify the officer if we are armed. It's not a big deal. Most of the time they aren't even interested enough to glance at my permit. In only two cases has the officer wanted me to hand him my firearm. One was a very nervous officer late at night in the middle of nowhere, and the other office was interested in my CZ-82. He had heard good things about them but hadn't seen one yet.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Dh and I run with two county LEO and a state, then we have a state trooper who also mows our yards (3 families on one farm) then we have 2 good friends who are LEO's so if I am pulled over in the county I live it I feel it's a pretty much a given they know as we are very rural here.

If I am in a bigger town, yeah I would tell them there are fire arms in my truck, even if I don't have a handgun for cc there more often then not my DD target pistol and her shotgun and her range bag.

It depends on the state I am in. If I inform and the officer wants me to hand over my firearm I am not touching it. His back up may not know what is going on and think I am drawing. The officer can have me come out of my vehicle. Then he can remove it. I just hope he doesn't take it apart.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

In Florida - one out of every five adult males is carrying a gun. Regards a traffic stop, I would not inform. If I was asked to exit the car, than I would hand him my CCW license.

I voted would not, only because I make that decision depending on where my gun is located and if I think he is the type of cop to ask me to step out of the car. If I think he is looking for something or suspects that I might have something I shouldn't I will tell him so it's not a surprise if I need to get out of the car.
    Say 'what' again! I dare you! I double dare you!-Jules Winnfield aka Samuel L Jackson

Generally when I'm pulled over I will leave my car in gear, open the door, exit and perform a perfectly executed combat roll while simultaneously loudly saying in my command voice that, "I HAVE A GUN, and also a permit!!!!!" therefore fulfilling any ordinance that may be in place for notification. Otherwise I think it's just a courtesy for the officer. The officer would be spared the time to ask me to exit my car. And as a sign of further cooperation and teamwork I will simultaneously be reaching for my identification in my back pocket.

Fortunately I haven't been pulled over just yet but I will let you all know how it goes.
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

Quote Originally Posted by Akachibisaru View Post
    He then proceeded to take the magazine out and tossed it onto the roof of my car, then he worked the action to remove the Cor-Bon 165 grain .45 out of the chamber. He stood that up on my roof then with the action open he tossed my gun onto the roof.

Did it damage your car?

If so (especially a sweet 68 SS, which I imagine has a nice paint job), his boss would be hearing from my attorney, with a bill...

That is deliberate damage to property.

Classless.

Tis the law in Michigan, if you are carying and are pulled over...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Apparently I already voted in this poll - I think I voted "yes, I would tell"

I found out the other day when I got pulled over on I-5 just south of Lakewood. I showed the officer my license, and then I pulled out my CPL and showed it to him also, and said, "I'm not carrying, I just left the VA hospital" - he replied, "I don't care."

Easy day.

Austin

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Sponsored Links