The Ultimate Question,: What would YOU do If YOU got pulled over by a LEO? - Page 9

The Ultimate Question,: What would YOU do If YOU got pulled over by a LEO?

This is a discussion on The Ultimate Question,: What would YOU do If YOU got pulled over by a LEO? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by aus71383 Apparently I already voted in this poll - I think I voted "yes, I would tell" I found out the other ...

View Poll Results: would you or would you not inform the officer you are carrying?

Voters
241. You may not vote on this poll
  • you would tell him or her

190 78.84%
  • you would not tell him or her

51 21.16%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: The Ultimate Question,: What would YOU do If YOU got pulled over by a LEO?

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Apparently I already voted in this poll - I think I voted "yes, I would tell"

I found out the other day when I got pulled over on I-5 just south of Lakewood. I showed the officer my license, and then I pulled out my CPL and showed it to him also, and said, "I'm not carrying, I just left the VA hospital" - he replied, "I don't care."

Easy day.

Austin
    I am curious..why did you show him your CPL if you were not carrying?
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Our CPLs have our DL# on it, and address. My DL had an old address on it, but I had updated the address online, so it was legal, but read wrong on the license itself. Plus I knew if he wanted to run my DL he'd probably see that I had a CPL, and I'd rather be the one to bring it up in case he wanted to look me up. He didn't even go back to his car though so he never ran my DL - he had already run my plates before pulling me over, tabs expired and I had the new sticker sitting under my arm rest, just hadn't put it on yet. So he figured either I was suspended or forgot to put the sticker on. Long answer for a short question...

Austin

Only if I'm asked to step out of the car. Things have gotten serious at that point.
    In Absentia Luci Tenebrae Vincu

There is a line between good and evil, no wider than a razor's edge.
    I hold the line.
    I am the line.

I have been pulled over once while carying and I informed the Tennessee Highway Patrol as I was handing him my driver's license and cc permit that I had a 9mm in the car. When I motioned where it was (which I wouldn't do again) he said nervously for me just to leave it where it was and he would be right back. I got my speeding ticket and left without further "gun" discussion. I was told by my cc class instructor that it was a courtesy to the officer to inform him in our region. I'm still not sure what the actual law is in Tennessee?? I will continue to inform the LEO's.

In CT we do not have to inform a cop if we are armed, so I wouldn't for a traffic stop. But if I was being searched or arrested I would tell him I have a permit to carry a pistol, and that I also happen to have a pistol. This is just because I don't want to be subjected to any rough treatment if he finds it and gets the wrong idea.

Quote Originally Posted by billstaf View Post
    In Oregon we don't have to mention that we are carrying. However, I'll always hand over both my driver's license and my Oregon CHL when a cop approaches my car at a traffic stop. I'll always keep both of my hands in plain view on the wheel and mention that I have my weapon on my person. If he asks me for other documents (insurance card of vehicle registration) then I'll tell him where they are first and ask if I can reach for them. I stay polite and speak calmly.

I understand that some cops are terrified of their jobs and can react badly. So far, I've only been pulled over once while carrying, and I acted as described above. The cop was very reasonable and polite. (No yelling or bullying). If a cop decides to act like a jerk during a stop or when he learns you are carrying, there isn't too much you can about it right then. I have heard of some people who will discreetly turn on a tape recorder when pulled over in order to record the conversation with the cop. I've thought about doing this too, but for now I think I'll just do as I have described and see how things work out.

Not getting pulled over is a good place to start.
    There's no need to mention we in Oregon are carrying because the dispatcher will tell the Police Officer orchestrating the traffic stop that you're a CHL holder. Listen to a police scanner sometime. I know I'm an Emergency Dept, Nurse that has heard this info.
    broadcasted over the airwaves several times on scanners.

These types of questions are just so argumentative at their core. It takes a combination of "must inform" and "not inform unless asked" laws and tries to lump um together into one discussion. IMO, the two are totally different and only related by association. In the states where you must disclose its moot, end of discussion, fail and you got problems. In states where you don't have to unless asked, you make a personal decision at the time of the encounter. With that comes a hord of opinions as to why you should and why you shouldn't, none of which pertain to one or the other. One guys nightmare stop with a LEO may very well go off with no problem with someone else down the road, who knows for sure.

Simple nuts and bolts of the question is this. Should you inform? If state law requires it, ah, yeah! If the state does not, it's a personal choice. I personally choose not to, that's my choice. Yours may be different and that's okay. Bottom line is this. It's none of my business why you chose to offer it up. I look at most encounters like a chess game so to speak. Your move made the officer pull you over, now wait and see what the problem is before you go and put all the cards on the table. Just because you got pulled over by law enforcement does not make you a second class citizen, a criminal or whatever. He's just a guy doing his job, just like you are a citizen going about your business. Be professional and allow him or her to do the same. If its clear that the conversation is going south, request that a supervisor be dispatched to the location if necessary, but avoid the confrontational attitude; that is not going to be an argument you're going to win. My take on it. Oh' and I didn't vote in the poll.
    suntzu and aus71383 like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    I would hand license and cwp at same time then follow LEO instructions from there. No harm no foul.

It means red butted or snow monkey in Japanese

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Simple question to thread writer---Is that your real name? If it is, last or first, thiis can be part of the reason. Does not exactly sound like something he would be expecting and this could alert him in a "more cautious" way.
    Leaving that aside, I live in a must inform state (South Carolina) but, as opposed to many on the forum who seem to embrace 2A in a more "comprehensive manner" I will do what the LEO asks of me almost regardless of what I believe the correct procedures are under what I believe the law says.
    Last edited by Akachibisaru; July 31st, 2013 at 12:44 PM. Reason: error

NCG
    I got pulled over for a dead tag. I handed over my drivers license & insurance. After a few minutes cop walked up to the car, handed me my license, insurance, and ticket. The officer then asked me if I was carrying. I told her no I was not and that's why I didn't hand her my permit. She told me I should've handed it over anyway and told her I was not carrying. She told me she was informed I had a CC permit when she pulled me over and that when that information comes back to them it automatically puts a little more tension into the situation.

***? I'm pretty sure I am supposed to inform the officer when I AM carrying, not when I am not. If it was that important to her, why didnt she ask during the initial contact?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

Keep in mind that you are pretty much a total stranger to the approaching officer. He does not know if you are angry, just got into an argument with your girlfriend, high, slightly buzzed, or hearing impaired or half asleep after a long day at work.
    Same goes for him. He is a stranger to me, dont know if he is having a bad day or just killed his wife etc etc. What makes him a non threat? And dont tell me its because he is wearing a badge.
    NONAME762 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCG View Post
    I got pulled over for a dead tag. I handed over my drivers license & insurance. After a few minutes cop walked up to the car, handed me my license, insurance, and ticket. The officer then asked me if I was carrying. I told her no I was not and that's why I didn't hand her my permit. She told me I should've handed it over anyway and told her I was not carrying. She told me she was informed I had a CC permit when she pulled me over and that when that information comes back to them it automatically puts a little more tension into the situation.

***? I'm pretty sure I am supposed to inform the officer when I AM carrying, not when I am not. If it was that important to her, why didnt she ask during the initial contact?
    For me, it is moot. If I am pulled over, I am carrying.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by America View Post
    Same goes for him. He is a stranger to me, dont know if he is having a bad day or just killed his wife etc etc. What makes him a non threat? And dont tell me its because he is wearing a badge.
    Hopefully, you will take the Marlboro out of your mouth when he approaches your window, just the same.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by America View Post
    In fact, why pull over in the first place? See ya on the news!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by discoboxer View Post
    If it went down like that, my guess is the officer is inexperienced. IMO, most officers would not act this way if it were a typical traffic stop (if there is such).
    Sadly, you won't meet MOST officers, you'll meet one.
    You never know if you just met Officer Friendly, or Officer Harless.
    I'd never inform unless required.

BTW, I never understood the LEO's attitude while informing.
    The ex-con who would do him harm isn't going to tell him he's carrying.
    So along comes Joe Citizen who wants to do the right thing,
    and the LEO jumps on his case like he's an escaped convict.
    9MMare likes this.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Links