The Ultimate Question,: What would YOU do If YOU got pulled over by a LEO?

This is a discussion on The Ultimate Question,: What would YOU do If YOU got pulled over by a LEO? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been reading all sorts of gun related matter for many years. I have seen the question bantered back and forth of should you, ...

View Poll Results: would you or would you not inform the officer you are carrying?

Voters
241. You may not vote on this poll
  • you would tell him or her

190 78.84%
  • you would not tell him or her

51 21.16%
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: The Ultimate Question,: What would YOU do If YOU got pulled over by a LEO?

The Ultimate Question,: What would YOU do If YOU got pulled over by a LEO?

I have been reading all sorts of gun related matter for many years. I have seen the question bantered back and forth of should you, or should you not inform a LEO of the fact that you have a CCW permit and in fact have a handgun in the immediate vicinity of or on you? Well I have read hypotheticals on both sides and only came to a decision when I got pulled over for speeding by a Washington State Trooper in my 68 Chevy Nova SS. As I said, I had read the situation both ways and decided that I would inform him that I was a CCW holder and that my S&W 4516 was in my waistband. The troopers demeanor instantly changed from slightly annoyed to all business! He barked out DON'T MOVE! as he reached a hand to his Baretta. He continued with" NOW, SLOWLY. WITH THESE TWO FINGERS OF YOUR LEFT HAND"! Indicating with his thumb and middle fingers. "PULL THE GUN OUT AND HAND IT TO ME! SLOWLY"! He then proceeded to take the magazine out and tossed it onto the roof of my car, then he worked the action to remove the Cor-Bon 165 grain .45 out of the chamber. He stood that up on my roof then with the action open he tossed my gun onto the roof. He then proceeded to silently write me a speeding ticket for 10+ miles over the limit. After he handed me my citation he handed me back my bullet. Then the full magazine and finally, he handed me back my gun and said, "DON'T LOAD IT TILL AFTER I LEAVE"! That was the last time I told a cop I was carrying a gun.

2. Remove Ads

That was a bad experience. In some states you must inform the officer. I imagine most LEO's would be a little cooler than that.

If it went down like that, my guess is the officer is inexperienced. IMO, most officers would not act this way if it were a typical traffic stop (if there is such).
    BritishAgent likes this.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Wait, you didn't tell us what model Beretta or the manufacturer, caliber and bullet grain weight the officer was carrying...
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I would guess he weighed about 178 lbs.
    southernwi likes this.

Administrator
    Well, when a Law Enforcement Officer needs to exert control over a potentially life threatening scenario he/she will do so using a commanding voice coupled with raised volume and a harsh tone.
    Also moving a hand over to the firearm (in this instance his Beretta) would be standard operating procedure.
    In fact his hand may have been on it as he first approached your vehicle but, you may not have noticed it.

Keep in mind that you are pretty much a total stranger to the approaching officer. He does not know if you are angry, just got into an argument with your girlfriend, high, slightly buzzed, or hearing impaired or half asleep after a long day at work.
    As soon as an officer knows that a firearm is involved he will immediately take charge of the stop.

Some officers may handle it differently & some will act much more forceful.
    Police officers die sometimes during "routine" traffic stops so it is not something that is usually taken lightly these days by many officers.

They have a tough job to do and they have families and kids that they want to make it home to at the end of their shift.

And they want you to make it home alive also so they need to be clear and brief and loud in their instructions because that helps to avoid possible confusion and misunderstanding.

Confusion and misunderstanding is potentially a very bad thing when firearms are involved.

Just be calm. Relax. Follow instructions and try not to take it personally.

It's done that way in order to keep both of you safe and unscathed.

Point well taken,although as a transmission mechanic I have had the opportunity to work on both Pierce County Sheriff's and State Patrol vehicles. I have interacted with many officers and even talked my way out of a few tickets. It helps to let them know you may have or may some day work on their car. This officers attitude was of someone who was possibly having a bad day. And this was a few years ago. Since then I noticed they go to the passenger side, and yes they do put their hand on their gun as they approach. Seemingly to reassure them its still there if needed? I did not want to say so because as I said this was a few years ago and I'm not 100% sure, but he may not have just put his hand on it but possibly have drawn it. So would or would you not tell them you are carrying? Take the poll.

If he was that nervous when you told him you were carrying, I can't even imagine how he would've been if he found out on his own somehow...
    suntzu, wmhawth, akav8er and 1 others like this.
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, IL

VIP Member
    Since North Carolina is a must inform state I will inform any LEO that I am carrying. The last time I was pulled over I informed the officer I was carrying his response was ok and then he handed my permit back and wrote the ticket and informed me of the date and time for court.
    bombthrower77 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Any chance this is the "ULTIMATE" ( meaning last, final, ultimo) thread on this topic or is that wishful thinking?
    kb2wji, mkh and 45XDCCW like this.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Wait, you didn't tell us what model Beretta or the manufacturer, caliber and bullet grain weight the officer was carrying...
    EXACTLY! I sure as _____hope that the LEO let you inspect HIS Beretta, so that you could dismantle it as YOU choose and see what he is carrying, all the while demeaning and embarrassing him in th process.

Because guess what? It seems that we are forgetting that LEOS WORK FOR US. We hire Law Enforcement (and the entire government for that matter) to HELP us in certain areas, not to RUN OUR LIVES. We are responsible for our own self defense, and LEOS are a supplement to that. How many people would be harrassed by a Firefighter for carrying a fire extinguisher in their vehicle?? You'd probably get a compliment and maybe a "thumbs up" Back to LEOS (whom I respect and support when they realize their place) : If a person is not suspected of committing a crime, then they have every right to carry a firearm and not have LEOS acting like idiots in this way. Even if a LEO doesn't respect you, do your best to be polite and respectful to them. Do exactly what they tell you to do. You can report the LEO later if they mistreat you or if they damage your personal property.

And yes, there are many good LEOS that would congratulate you on your choice to carry, and not treat you like a criminal. Some LEOS might make excuses and say that "we are just trying to be safe" Those officers need to remember that anyone could be carrying, and the guy that politely admits to carrying is probably not the person to worry about, AND guns aren't evil and they don't just jump up and shoot people. The vehicles on the road have way more foot pounds of energy and yet LEOS don't freak out this way every time they cross the street or see a car, which could run them over at any moment.
    RichB70 and ruger91 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Well, when a Law Enforcement Officer needs to exert control over a potentially life threatening scenario he/she will do so using a commanding voice coupled with raised volume and a harsh tone.
    Also moving a hand over to the firearm (in this instance his Beretta) would be standard operating procedure.
    In fact his hand may have been on it as he first approached your vehicle but, you may not have noticed it.

Keep in mind that you are pretty much a total stranger to the approaching officer. He does not know if you are angry, just got into an argument with your girlfriend, high, slightly buzzed, or hearing impaired or half asleep after a long day at work.
    As soon as an officer knows that a firearm is involved he will immediately take charge of the stop.

Some officers may handle it differently & some will act much more forceful.
    Police officers die sometimes during "routine" traffic stops so it is not something that is usually taken lightly these days by many officers.

They have a tough job to do and they have families and kids that they want to make it home to at the end of their shift.

And they want you to make it home alive also so they need to be clear and brief and loud in their instructions because that helps to avoid possible confusion and misunderstanding.

Confusion and misunderstanding is potentially a very bad thing when firearms are involved.

Just be calm. Relax. Follow instructions and try not to take it personally.

It's done that way in order to keep both of you safe and unscathed.
    I know what you are trying to say, and I agree that LEOS just want to go home safe to their families (as they should)

HOWEVER: A gun is simply a tool. Would an officer freak out if you had a hammer lying on the seat (or insert another object that may be an even better example) If a citizen is pulled over and is not suspected of committing a violent crime, and that person freely admits to having a firearm on their person, and has both hands on the steering wheel (as they should) then the officer has NO reason to freak out and make a huge deal about a firearm. If someone wants to harm a LEO, are they going to announce that they are carrying while keeping both hands in sight? Most likely not. And a LEO can be on guard and prepared to act IF a person makes a threatening motion. Announcing that you are carrying and keeping both hands in sight is NOT threatening. We need to stop listening to the anti-gun media (and in some cases) cops that don't support carrying (which is terrible, but happens) A LEO has no business throwing your personal property around, which could damage both the firearm and the paint on your vehicle. If that happens, you deserve to be compensated. Incidentally, while a LEO is so carefully inspecting a firearm in such a way as described here, the person in the vehicle could have EASILY pulled a second firearm and done whatever they wanted to anyway. There is no end to the number of ways a LEO could be harmed by a person in a traffic stop, including a weapon activated by the hands on the steering wheel or even a weapon activated by their foot, or the vehicle itself could be used as a weapon. Securing one weapon (that is ALREADY secured) does NOTHING to protect the officer. It only distracted him from another possible attack.

Thousands of professions include danger, from road construction to (you name it) Having a dangerous profession doesn't give ANYONE the right to act like an idiot. A person in road construction faces many thousands of "potentially life threatening" situations EVERY TIME a car drives by. Does he need to "control" each car? No, he just does his best to stand clear. A LEO can be fully prepared for an attack without disarming everyone that has hands in sight and a secured firearm.

Despite the fact that some LEOS will over-react in this way, I fully support doing EXACTLY as the LEO says, be polite, keep your hands in plain sight and be a very nice person. Don't argue or be a jerk. If you have a complaint with a LEO, you can take it up later with a supervisor.
    Last edited by romansten9; November 12th, 2012 at 03:26 AM. Reason: typo
    RichB70 and ep1953 like this.

In Oregon we don't have to mention that we are carrying. However, I'll always hand over both my driver's license and my Oregon CHL when a cop approaches my car at a traffic stop. I'll always keep both of my hands in plain view on the wheel and mention that I have my weapon on my person. If he asks me for other documents (insurance card of vehicle registration) then I'll tell him where they are first and ask if I can reach for them. I stay polite and speak calmly.

I understand that some cops are terrified of their jobs and can react badly. So far, I've only been pulled over once while carrying, and I acted as described above. The cop was very reasonable and polite. (No yelling or bullying). If a cop decides to act like a jerk during a stop or when he learns you are carrying, there isn't too much you can about it right then. I have heard of some people who will discreetly turn on a tape recorder when pulled over in order to record the conversation with the cop. I've thought about doing this too, but for now I think I'll just do as I have described and see how things work out.

Not getting pulled over is a good place to start.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member
    I'm going to leave my feelings and opinions on the matter out of it, but will state that I respect and appreciate LEO's and the job they do 110%.

I am just going to answer the question that was asked. I HAVE been pulled over twice now since I started carrying. Both times for speeding, once in GA and once it TN my homestate. I did not inform either time, I seriously thought abouit it both times, but just didn't. I got a ticket both times and was on my way. Oh and I didn't post either event on here to start a thread, lol. If your in a state where you don't have to inform, it is your choice(of course unless your asked), I've made mine twice.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

This poll is kind of dumb seeing as how some states are "must inform".

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links