Ruined My Lunch

This is a discussion on Ruined My Lunch within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good "non-shoot" Hopefully Mr. Man Purse didn't get a good look at you. People with rage issues can tend to want revenge....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Ruined My Lunch

Good "non-shoot"

Hopefully Mr. Man Purse didn't get a good look at you. People with rage issues can tend to want revenge.

2. Remove Ads

My thought would be to move if possible, but as you said you didnt think it would be a good idea. All in all sounds like it went well to me!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

You did extremely well to be an unbiased witness for the police and staying out of trouble.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    On a side note, I have a visual of an over weight man with a purse wearing shorts and a polo shirt and it's not good.
    Please tell me he wasn't wearing sandals with white socks.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Things like this situation can and of course happen in an instant. We should be prepared to do whatever is necessary, in this case calling the Police and being a good witness was the correct intervention.

I worked the recent Election and had to "intervene" in the line of waiting voters who were about to fist fight, as one of the other poll workers shouted to me. It was not over a Candidate either, it was some name calling by two women who I found out later had some "history" outside of the voting precinct. I nearly had to call the County Sheriff but thankfully they cooled off, voted and left the building. The workers cannot be armed by law, the precinct is in a school building and it is also against the law for any weapons other than Law Enforcement personnel to be taken inside. We got through the day without further incident.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Other than a couple of things, I think you did fine..

1. Remember to carry a change of clothes to lunch..Certainly wouldn't want anyone to see your company logo on your shirt if you decide to become involved as a "concerned citizen"...

2. Reevaluate your attitude that your gun is "not" in jeopardy when you leave it in your car in your busy company parking lot, but it "is" in jeopardy if you leave it in your car in the "burger" parking lot. I'd say it was in jeopardy of theft in ANY parking lot regardless of day/night or lots of traffic/negligible traffic.

Otherwise, others, including yourself, pointed out the need to change office policy on CCW. And others pointed out you might want to just go ahead and move your vehicle next time, even if you are going to stick around to be a "good citizen".

Oh..one last thing, I appreciate your "observant" abilities in being able to supply descriptions of folks...I wonder how others, observing you, perceive you based on appearance? I can just hear a "ggod citizen" talking to the responding officers: "Uh, I want to tell you about this other fella, that was in this truck, he took his shirt off, and he had a gun or something in his lap, but he hid it before he got out of his truck and I didn't kno what he was up to but I think you should check him out because his actions were sooooo suspicious"...

Otherwise, great scenario for us all to learn from...Thanks for sharing...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    On a side note, I have a visual of an over weight man with a purse wearing shorts and a polo shirt and it's not good.
    Please tell me he wasn't wearing sandals with white socks.
    If so, you should have called the Fashion Police
    BritishAgent likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    Mr. Meth Head, standing about 20 feet away to the side of my rear bumper, said something to the effect of “I’ve got something to fix you…” and stated rummaging in his truck. I think I communicated my thoughts directly to the operator with an “Oh $%|+!, Here we go!, He’s going for a weapon!”
    I'm not trying to hijack this thread but as a CC newbie I have to ask the question. What if Mr. Meth Head would have produced a gun from his truck? What should you do? Do you wait until he points it at Mr. Man Purse? Wait until he actually fires? I understand what you did was correct, I would have done the same thing, but if it would have esculated to him having a firearm, and the police hadn't arrived yet, when are you justified in dropping the guy with the gun?
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by BradL View Post
    I'm not trying to hijack this thread but as a CC newbie I have to ask the question. What if Mr. Meth Head would have produced a gun from his truck? What should you do? Do you wait until he points it at Mr. Man Purse? Wait until he actually fires? I understand what you did was correct, I would have done the same thing, but if it would have esculated to him having a firearm, and the police hadn't arrived yet, when are you justified in dropping the guy with the gun?
    I don't think you would be justified in stopping Mr Meth Head from shooting the other guy. The other guy was not innocent, so he has no claim for self-defense and therefor you have no claim for defense of him.

If Mr Meth Head looks like he's coming for YOU, then you'd probably be legally justified in firing on him, but you probably run the risk of being mistaken for the BG by the cops. If Mr Meth Head isn't paying any attention to you when he pulls the gun, then the best response is to probably get your head down and wait for the cops.
    BaconHunter likes this.

VIP Member
    Lunch and free entertainment, but you done good.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Moderator
    Hmmm, I wonder if Mr Man Purse figured he could get away with more because he looked respectable?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

You did great. The best thing you could have done in this situation was to be a good witness, which you definitely were.

Excellent job on the witness portion of this incident. I also appreciated the comments of others to carry a change of clothing with you and the suggestion to move your vehicle sooner. Both of those suggestions definitely added value for me.

However, lunchtime entertainment should NOT be this intense.

Always remember that 911 is a much easier answer than the pistola.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ruined My Lunch

Quote Originally Posted by BradL View Post
    Unless Mr. Meth Head produced a gun and shot Mr. Man Purse and started killing innocent bystanders I wouldn't draw my gun at all. I would evade by finding cover behind parked cars, behind buildings or anything to get me out of harms way. I would call 911 and report a shooting and stick around as a witness.

But if he was targeting a member of my family then yes, I would shoot him until the shooter is down and out. I carry for my family's safety and don't have any illusions of being a hero or anything like that. Of coarse I would feel bad if the shooter shot innocent people.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links