Ruined My Lunch

Ruined My Lunch

This is a discussion on Ruined My Lunch within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some of you will be relieved that this did not happen while I was camping… Since my office is “officially” no carry for employees (legacy ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Ruined My Lunch

Senior Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar

Ruined My Lunch

Some of you will be relieved that this did not happen while I was camping…

Since my office is “officially” no carry for employees (legacy of the former manager- need to get it changed), I usually leave my CCW piece locked in my console. Our parking lot is a busy place, and I have no concerns about it being stolen during the workday. Anyway, earlier this year I went to Burger King for lunch, and inadvertently left the gun in the car (dumb). As I walked out of the dining room into the parking lot, I heard some shouting between two men. The first one “Mr. Meth Head” was standing next a truck a few spaces away from my vehicle, and the other “Mr. Man Purse” was standing next to the entrance of a Brakes Plus across the access road. My first thought was to get to my vehicle, where I am now in control of my own escape plan, plus my weapon. Upon getting in my Jeep, I started the engine and remained in the space to assess the situation. Mr. Meth Head, short, skinny, white, late 50’s, wearing grubby cloths and driving a beat-up old truck, was upset that Mr. Man Purse, tall, kinda chubby, white, middle 40’s, wearing polo and shorts with a male satchel, had waited too long to make a left hand turn across traffic to enter the shopping center.

Normally, I would tend to side with Mr. Man Purse, but not this time. Every time the heated wave of insults seemed to be dying down, Mr. Man Purse would taunt Mr. Meth Head again, either by voice or gestures, including jumping up and down like a monkey. Thinking it was best to be a good witness, I called 911, and informed them that this war of words was escalating, with it being just a matter of time before the two men became physically engaged. While I was on the phone, Mr. Meth Head, standing about 20 feet away to the side of my rear bumper, said something to the effect of “I’ve got something to fix you…” and stated rummaging in his truck. I think I communicated my thoughts directly to the operator with an “Oh crud!, Here we go!, He’s going for a weapon!”

What a fun lunch! Here I am, sitting in my vehicle, right next to where a guy is going to starting shooting up the place. As I discreetly as I could, I opened the console and put my CCW piece into my lap. I did not want to draw any more attention to myself by backing out of the parking space and driving away, essentially right into the confrontation path. As the 911 operator assured me that units were very close, Mr. Meth Head pulled something out of the truck, but it was a tool of some type, not a gun. Just after, a cruiser (no lights, no siren) pulled into the backside of the Brakes Plus.

Both men saw this, with Mr. Meth Head nonchalantly getting into his truck, and Mr. Man Purse going into the Brakes Plus. Within another minute or two, about three more cruisers showed up. Figuring him to be the “guilty” party, they secured Mr. Meth Head and put him into the back of a cruiser, while simply questioning Mr. Man Purse. After about 10 minutes I removed my company polo (with name and logo) and approached one of the officers. I told him my observations, that while Mr. Meth Head probably started the confrontation, Mr. Man Purse was just as culpable for escalating and continuing it. The officer thanked me, and within another couple of minutes, both men were enjoying the back seat of their respective cruisers. I provided the officers with my contact info, but nothing ever came of it.

The adrenalin dump took awhile to go away, with my hands still mildly shaking even after driving back to the office. Please comment on the event and my actions.

Thanks!

Hunter
    Last edited by rstickle; November 14th, 2012 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Language work around
    kmagnuss, atctimmy and Billb1960 like this.

Witnessed and reported without *anyone* doing anything deadly and able to type about it now?

Sounds like a good day to me...
    atctimmy and mano3 like this.
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, IL

I say good looking out on your part, well done.
    NewtownSam likes this.
    My EDC G27 gen. 4
    Favorite range gun G23 gen. 3

NRA Life Member

Love that adrenalin rush... Sounds like a great day at the office and yes, you need to get your no carry changed at the office. This incident could help change it if you don't tell them where it happen, just let them assume it was close to the office...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Good call on the 911 call. Usually I wouldn't think anything of a verbal argument, but it's a good thing you had called and the cops got there before Mr. Meth Head was able to start ruining Mr. Man Purse's face.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Ruined? No you did what good citizens do and got entertained too.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

yeah, ruined because you didn't have any popcorn.
    Spec likes this.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Distinguished Member
    I think you did good, a good citizen reporting a situation that had the possibility of getting violent. Sounds like you got some good entertainment to go with your lunch break.
    lchamp likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I think you did well, call the police and wait it out. No reason to get involved here.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Right! Until it escalates, just be a good witness...and stay out of the line of fire...

mkh
    Good job.

Witness - check
    Reported - check
    Briefed officers - check
    Weapon not used - check

Can't get much better than that.
    pgrass101 and RAL like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Good job.

Witness - check
    Reported - check
    Briefed officers - check
    Weapon not used - check

Can't get much better than that.
    ditto!

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

I don't know what I would have done in this case however I will save what you did for future reference. Thanks for the heads up info and yes you did have a good day.

The only thing I would have done differently was I would have moved my vehicle to a safer location, further away from any potential conflict between the two individuals and out of the potential line of fire in case one or both of them were armed, Then I would have called 911, etc.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    Sounds to me like you did exactly what we're all told to do in a case like this. Good job. I call that a great lunch! Free entertainment too!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links