Reconsidering carrying one in the chamber....

This is a discussion on Reconsidering carrying one in the chamber.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Edward7 No, hence the bullet i just chambered. I'm sure you will be hoping that the BG gives you enough time to ...

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: Reconsidering carrying one in the chamber....

Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    No, hence the bullet i just chambered.
    I'm sure you will be hoping that the BG gives you enough time to rack the slide. I hope for your sake that he is nice enough to patiently wait while you get your round chambered...After he is finished waiting he'll be nice and rested for that quick sprint as he runs away because he was so intimidated by the sound. Good luck with that.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

2. Remove Ads

Im being serious. I know non violent solutions aren't always an option but id sure like to try.
    So is the BG.

If you haven't done so already, read every post in this thread.

Then when you are done with that, read every post in this thread: POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

There isn't an intimidation value?
    Not to someone who already has one in the pipe and is shooting you while you're racking the slide. I mean sure, we can all picture an event where a somewhat nervous criminal will flee when confronted and there is time, but if we're depending on that happening we're ruling out and not preparing for the violent criminal that acts fast and is prepared to kill you especially if some of it goes H2H. Some chose to plan for a slide rack, plenty of time available, feeding a round successfully under duress in hopes of a desired reaction from a criminal. Others chose to carry in a condition that doesn't rule out those former possibilities. I chose to carry in a manner that no matter what happens, hopefully I'm giving myself the greatest odds of survival in the worst possible situation, including only having one hand to operate with. To each, his own.
    1MoreGoodGuy and Once like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

If there were an "intimidation value" in the sound of racking the slide on a pistol, and you wanted to use that "weapon" of sound - you could still do it with a round in the chamber. Sure a round will flop uselessly onto the ground - and maybe people might laugh - but at least you will have a loaded gun in the first place, in case you needed it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion - do what you think is best. For my part - I think it's best to keep my gun in the holster unless I'm going to use it.

Austin
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

Wish all of you here could just be caught in the minute using some sort of simulator.......boy would you change your mind quick about not carrying +1.........been there twice, believe me you'll be singing a different tune.
    tcox4freedom and First Sgt like this.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Not to bring You Tube into this but there are a couple of "scenerio" vids out there using snap caps. "bad guy" won almost every time the slide had to be racked.
    To each his own.

Edward7, welcome to the forum. I have learned alot here.

Please keep reading thru the threads....one topic I recommend is when it's appropriate to use lethal force....and the legal consequences of showing your firearm when there isnt a reasonable & immediate threat of such. And if there isnt a reasonable, immediate threat, then your gun shouldnt be out (under most state's laws). And hence, there should be no racking the slide as a strategy. If there is a reasonable, immediate threat, then it's likely you'll need to shoot as soon as you draw. A gun is not a threat, it is a conclusion (we hope). Legally, in most states you cannot use it as a threat. (See also: brandishing)

At the same time, most here would agree that if you draw and the threat ceases to exist...attacker runs away, drops their gun, etc then we would not fire. But there wouldnt be any 'time to scare the bg' in there.

There is a thread running on that right now somewhere, I think.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member
    Hello Edward and welcome to the forum.

In all seriousness to your question.

Yes there are bad guys out there who are intimidated by a number of things. An alarm sign in your yard, a 12 pound barking dog, your physical appearance, the mere sight of a firearm and so on. They are not really the ones you have to be concerned with because if they are intimidated by any of the mentioned things they probably will not cause you problems anyway as the moment they are confronted they will back off.

It is the other guys you have to worry about. Those who either through mental instability, use of drugs or alcohol, mental attitude or just plain don't give a damn will not be intimidated by anything up to and including a firearm. The problem is they do not wear color coded t shirts or present a memo stating their attitude and intentions, you will not know anything until they strike and by the time you realize how intent the are on harming you it will be to late to chamber a round. You will always be in the reaction phase. They will dictate what action you have to take and you are merely responding to it.

Self defense/lethal force encounters are generally close, fast, and bloody. Hopefully you have trained and conditioned your mind and your body to give a conditioned response. At the moment when you are attacked is not the time to practice a new technique or try to remember what you read in a magazine. There are no do overs or wait a minutes.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Your gun should stay holstered until you have to use it, no polling it out and calling him names, no sliding racks, or flipping on lazers.

Remove from holster, point/aim, shoot. no dilly dallying around.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."Thomas Jefferson
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 3wggl View Post
    I prefer C3 but have an open mind to C1 as there are obvious benefits in an SD scenario. As someone who prefers C3, I'm well aware of the fact I'm handicapping myself against some scenarios but my weapon, thanks to diligent practice, can be brought to ready in a split second longer than a C1 firearm.

A recent thread on here showed how a woman carrying her weapon in Condition 4 had no problems bringing her weapon into action and successfully defended her and her son. Condition 3 can and has long been utilized as a safe and effective means for carry....C3 carriers just need to realize the limitations and be prepared to act accordingly.

Unfortunately, some of the most safe/experienced firearms handlers make mistakes, fail to follow the four rules, and have ND's. I wish we could ask Steve Malloy his thoughts on the matter. I think it's important to weigh the risk of ND vs the risk of being in an SD scenario where you won't have time to rack the slide. I'm guessing there are a bunch more ND's than there are occurrences where CCW'ers have to fire their guns in self defense.

It all comes down to personal preference and how you choose to distribute risk.
    Um yeah...I really wouldn't hold the woman in Washington up as a sterling example of how to CC. In the first place the BG in the situation was nothing but a 'weenie waggler' and quite honestly it's highly debatable as to whether he presented a threat at all. The fact that she had time to get her unloaded weapon out of her purse, insert a loaded magazine and rack a round into the chamber shows exactly how much of a threat this guy posed. IMO she's lucky they didn't charge her with ADW.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Billb1960 View Post
    Um yeah...I really wouldn't hold the woman in Washington up as a sterling example of how to CC. In the first place the BG in the situation was nothing but a 'weenie waggler' and quite honestly it's highly debatable as to whether he presented a threat at all. The fact that she had time to get her unloaded weapon out of her purse, insert a loaded magazine and rack a round into the chamber shows exactly how much of a threat this guy posed. IMO she's lucky they didn't charge her with ADW.
    Nowhere did I suggest the woman was a sterling example of how to CC. Just goes to show that a C3 weapon is not a brick as some might suggest when an untrained person can utilize a C4 firearm to successfully defend themselves and their family. The guy was certainly a threat and she was justified in drawing her weapon.

VIP Member
    Guys the woman in Wa. had one big advantage the guy did not do anything to prevent here from loading and chambering a round, he just stood there. If all bad guys would just stand there and do nothing you could carry your firearm disassembled in a paper bag and would have all the time in the world to put it together.

With enough time and distance yes you could recognize a threat, draw, chamber and engage but you will not always have that amount of time and distance to work with.
    Billb1960 likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I know of no respected firearms trainer that advocates carrying in anything other than Condition One.

I see a pattern.
    Spec likes this.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

Reconsidering carrying one in the chamber....

I have a question for those that carry condition 1 do you do so with your safety on?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggy22 View Post
    I have a question for those that carry condition 1 do you do so with your safety on?
    Always and have no fear of forgetting to disengage it.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Links