Reconsidering carrying one in the chamber....

This is a discussion on Reconsidering carrying one in the chamber.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by vstromrider Its based on the soup nazi, if your offended so easily sorry. maybe you have not had your coffee yet... on ...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: Reconsidering carrying one in the chamber....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vstromrider View Post
    Its based on the soup nazi, if your offended so easily sorry. maybe you have not had your coffee yet... on with the list of demands of why we must carry cond 1!
    A little strident, aren't we? And it appears that the only person throwing out the ad hominens is you.

Troll anyone?

2. Remove Ads

If you carry Cond 1 good for you. if you carry cond 3 good for you.. its 1000% better than not carrying a pistol. Just make sure you practice that way. Alertness is much more important than if you carry Cond 1,2 or 3... I been carryin CCW everyday for 19 years much of it condition 3, and never have been harmed yet. condition yellow muy importante ,condition 1 poco importante
    3wggl likes this.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    OP it's unfortunate that this type of situation happened but tat the same time it's a good thing for several reasons.

You were able to assess a situation that, at the time, seemed threatening, and you were able to see how your might possibly react. Your wife also showed that she is aware of her surroundings and knew that you were there to protect her and the kids.

The biggest benefit to this situation is realizing the difficulty you may have faced if you had to draw, chamber, and then engage. During that time, you may have tried to sweep your family behind you with your off hand. You may have short-stroked the slide and failed to get the round chambered. Many many things could have happened. You cannot do it all at once.

I hope you can get to comfortable place with carrying chambered. Your kids can't hurt themselves if you keep the trigger covered and the gun in a safe place when not on your person. You will do just fine.
    tcox4freedom and phreddy like this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I really can't think of anyone on this forum that would like to be called a nazi, soup or not. If you don't like the content of the OP just go away...
    Billb1960 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    ........ But if the kids get the hands on the gun, it doesn't matter what you are carrying and chambered or not...

Huh?? It would be almost impossible for a small child to work the slide and chamber a round into a 1911 (or other full size pistol). Thus the chances of a child-induced ND are dramatically reduced with an empty chamber.

I can understand both sides of the OP's dilemma. With small kids around, I think he's doing the right thing with empty chamber. The small kids are around him ALL THE TIME, whereas a bona fide 'bad guy' may never show up in his life. If the OP has even one tiny memory lapse and leaves the pistol where a child can access it, then the chances of a ND are less with empty chamber. Of course, the trade off is that he's slightly slower getting the pistol into action against a 'bad guy'.
    phillip69 likes this.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Wow. Did everyone not have their morning coffee? Am I the only one who understands the soup nazi reference? Seinfeld anyone?

Good SA. Each of us has to evaluate their own circumstances, physical abilities, and training when deciding on what state to carry our weapon(s). There is no right or wrong way to carry, there is only your way. Personally, I'm a little long-in-the-tooth and the lightening reflexes of my youth have dulled. So, I carry locked & cocked.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Distinguished Member
    oh no here come the condition 1 nazis , You must carry cond 1! or you are unamerican. you must or you are the same as being unarmed!. only those that vote for obama carry condition 3! if you carry cond 3 you will most certainly die! Condition 1 carry folks make better lovers! etc....
    Lighten up Francis
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

It's always fun to see things haven't changed during my absence.

I prefer cond 1 for all reasons already mentioned. As far as children getting hold of a firearm in cond 1, how likely is that to happen while you are carrying it?

I'm just envious that the OP can carry at church, we're still prohibited from church carry in Georgia.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    oh no here come the condition 1 nazis , You must carry cond 1! or you are unamerican. you must or you are the same as being unarmed!. only those that vote for obama carry condition 3! if you carry cond 3 you will most certainly die! Condition 1 carry folks make better lovers! etc....
    Your right...we do!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I carry with an empty chamber as a rule but I rarely go anywhere sketch like the OP described. If I were to do so, I'd be locked and loaded.
    vstromrider and 3wggl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dbglock View Post
    I carry with an empty chamber as a rule but I rarely go anywhere sketch like the OP described. If I were to do so, I'd be locked and loaded.
    Common sense > I like it...

It will be a hard lesson learned for you if you have a life threatening confrontation and your not ready......after 2 incidents in my life I can tell you.....there is no time to rack a slide......plain and simple......maybe a revolver would be a better choice for you or If your not comfortable carrying it +1......then maybe you should rely on OC spray, at least that will be ready when or if you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    It's always fun to see things haven't changed during my absence.

I prefer cond 1 for all reasons already mentioned. As far as children getting hold of a firearm in cond 1, how likely is that to happen while you are carrying it?

I'm just envious that the OP can carry at church, we're still prohibited from church carry in Georgia.
    Wow did not know that I Guess Christians dont deserve protection, I carry in our fairly large church and the Pastors knows it... and appreciates it. sunday shoes check , sunday S&W check..

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    For me, it seems more likely to have a ND under stress tying to chamber a round.

I've never had to draw my weapon, but if I do, I want all of my attention focused on the threat, not making sure my gun is ready to go.
    This is the exact reason I carry a 1911. I have to flip the safety off. But it takes way too long to chamber a round. Practice and training will get you to the point where drawing and hitting the safety will be second nature. When you're in a high stress situation, you will always default to your training and practice.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Links