Reconsidering carrying one in the chamber.... - Page 3

Reconsidering carrying one in the chamber....

This is a discussion on Reconsidering carrying one in the chamber.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Being a "sitting duck" in church does not appeal to me or the pastor. I carry in church with one in the pipe. I always ...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: Reconsidering carrying one in the chamber....

Being a "sitting duck" in church does not appeal to me or the pastor. I carry in church with one in the pipe. I always carry with one in the pipe due to forum's like this one teaching (and showing vid's) why I should. Having small kid's would sure complicate matters I do agree.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vstromrider View Post
    Its based on the soup nazi, if your offended so easily sorry. maybe you have not had your coffee yet... on with the list of demands of why we must carry cond 1!
    I really don't care what others do. I carry with a round chambered and manual safety engaged.

Wow, didn't expect this many comments. As far as drug deals, everyone besides my family is 60 plus, closer to 80. The person in question was not in church. I would not park in this area except this is where the Leo sits and I park next to him, no safer place, right??

Dead guy's post makes the most sense to me. I had been carrying on an empty chamber to get used to the weapon. I am capable of operating this weapon safely, but was getting used to it. The post was intended to share my experience with others who might carry with an empty chamber for whatever reason.

Thanks

VIP Member
    oh no here come the condition 1 nazis , You must carry cond 1! or you are unamerican. you must or you are the same as being unarmed!. if you carry cond 3 you will most certainly die! Condition 1 carry folks make better lovers! etc....
    No one is saying you "must" carry in condition 1 nor are they demanding that you do so.

There are two very different opinions being stated:

1. a gun in condition 1 is believed to be in a more advanced state of readiness when compared to a gun in condition 3.

2. a gun in condition 3 is believed to be in a state of readiness that is just as good or better than a gun in condition 1.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Thanks to this forum I always have one in the pipe. I started out with empty. I learned more and read about things and practiced more at the range. I am comfortable with it and don't even worry about it any more. I just know I am ready to go if needed.

Its based on the soup nazi, if your offended so easily sorry. maybe you have not had your coffee yet... on with the list of demands of why we must carry cond 1!
    I'm not offended. Yep, had my coffee. I said I found your comment abrupt & insulting. I still do, and it...continues. Far as I can tell, it's uniquely YOU who isn't participating (unless you count name-calling spitballs from the back of the room. )

Now, on with the grown-up discussion.
    BenGoodLuck, JDE101 and phreddy like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Administrator
    Folks with small children hovering around tend to be extra or overly cautious. It's a Parent/Child thing that is completely understandable though possibly slightly irrational.

You carry a GLOCK. Buy yourself a Saf-T-Blok and then (for now) you'll feel better and at least you will not need to rack the slide to chamber a round. Popping that out from behind the trigger with your index finger is a whole lot quicker than racking the slide to chamber a round - and also consider the fact that you may need to fend off an attack or hold onto one of your kids with your support arm and that arm/hand may not be available to rack your slide.

For now & were I you (with your concerns) I would either opt for the Saf-T-Block or an active retention holster.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    I'll allow that one post up there to stay since other members have already responded to it but, in the future please keep Rule #2 on our forum rules page in mind.

I'll post it here as a reminder.

2. While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts or PMs. Trolling, flaming, and personal attacks are strictly prohibited. You are welcome to disagree with opinions other than your own, but flaming other members will not be allowed. If you can't figure out how to compose a post without it being confrontational or a personal attack on someone, simply bite your lip and don't post it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Understand & appreciate the kid-related caution. Yet IMHO, the Saf-T-Block idea has always seemed kinda' counter-intuitive. I do NOT desire to stick my finger inside the trigger guard to disengage any sort of safety device. I think the mental processing involved in deciding when/where to shoot is already complicated enough. Yeah, I know, that's the method on an Garand variant & a Ruger Mini, but on those examples the trigger guard is roomier and you're moving more toward the front of the guard. On a GLOCK? I'll pass.

Rather than un-chambered, maybe a relatively long DA pull with the safety engaged? Like a 3rd Gen S&W autoloader or a CZ75?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I carry my GLOCK 19 with one in the chamber. My gun is either in my holster or in a lock box. It's not a toy so if it comes out of the holster it is either gonna be spitting lead or going to bed. My first advantage is having a gun concealed, my second advantage is the gun is ready to go to work, then it's up to me to decide if I put it to work. The nice thing about the GLOCK trigger is it takes deliberate contact to make it work.

Practice and more practice should rid you of the fear of a chambered gun "just going off".

If you want to carry unchambered that is up to you. I sincerely hope you never have to use your gun to defend yourself or your loved ones. If you do I sincerely hope you've got the extra time to remember to chamber a round and the ability to do it under pressure before you or those you are defending get hurt or worse.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Here is what I say abt it. Which every way u carry is ok, but be sure u know the condition it's in when the time comes so u don't pull on a hard trigger and nothing happens. Always carry the same way and practice that way, that way u will be ready when the time comes if ever. That being said myself I carry with one in the pipe and keep it holstered until needed.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Sorry thought i was being humorous .guess not adimn says
    RichB70 and lchamp like this.

Sorry thought i was being humorous .guess not adimn says
    Wasn't just you friend, I personally called you out. I apologize.
    vstromrider and Tangochuck like this.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I worry less about my kids getting their hands on the pistol than I worry about them banging their heads on the butt of the 1911 when they run into me at full speed.
    pfries likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I carry a Springfield xd. At first I carried with nothing in the chamber as I was new to carrying and didnt know how the weapon would react if dropped or bumped. That was until I had a close call and realized how slow drawing and chambering really is.Now When I leave the house I chamber a round. The only time its not hot is when im in the house with my nieces who are 2 and 1 but the side arm is still concealed so they shouldn't even know its there.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links