Reconsidering carrying one in the chamber....

This is a discussion on Reconsidering carrying one in the chamber.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by deadguy I was thinking more along the lines of knocking them out or leaving a nasty bruise. My sarcastic side was thinking ...

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: Reconsidering carrying one in the chamber....

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of knocking them out or leaving a nasty bruise.
    My sarcastic side was thinking any little bump could set off a holstered, chambered pistol with the safety engaged. But yes the possibility of bruises and the chance of being knocked out do exist.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

2. Remove Ads

I think that whatever you carry, you are much better off if it is ready to go with as little manipulation as possible, other than drawing it. You are even better off if you can use it with one hand when necessary. Most firearms are safe enough ( for the safety of the user ) in a proper holster. If you keep the gun in the same condition all the time, don't play around with it, and never leave it unattended so that others ( especially children ) might gain access to it, you are doing it right. We should all be afraid of what guns can do to the extent that we feel compelled to exercise the upmost caution with them, but not to the extent that we cannot use them well for their intended purpose. Know your firearm well, keep it under your immediate control when it is not locked away, and you will soon come to think of it as a tremendous asset, not a potential liability.

I carry xd sub ready to go. I also have two young boys that are alway climbing all over me. This is where a good quality holster that covers the trigger pays for it's self. My kids know my gun is on my hip an they know not to mess with it. Good holster takes care of oops when they git against it But carry with what makes you comfortable and train for it like others have said. Life is to short to sweat over everything or we would all live in a bubble.

VIP Member
    vstromrider not offended at all. Never really watched Seindfeld though but I get it.

Yep carrying something, somehow is a good thing just don't expect that you will be able to get into the fight and win as quick with an empty chamber. In regards to church carry yes churchgoers deserve protection to however it is illegal in many states to carry in church including my home state of Arkansas whether the pastor says it's ok or not.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    because they didn't keep their booger hook off the bang switch. And they also didn't follow the rule, never point a weapon at anything you aren't willing to destroy.
    Then that man should consider cond 3 shouldnt he, it would make himself and the rest of us safer. there are many many accidental discharges with handguns. though none with empty chambers. I will not carry a pistol condition 1 unless its my p250 DAO or my M&Ps with safeties on. If you do thats fine ,just dont shoot me when you come over and visit and take off your pistol in my latrine to read the newspaper.. set you pistol down . It slips you grab it and bang..

I agree...I also see these threads pop up periodically.

The 'debate' never changes but the circumstances that turn on that light bulb in an individual's head may do the same for someone else.

Blanket statements are often well-worn saws that have lost meaning to people....real-life experiences may resonate with someone.

That epiphany is different for everyone...whether it's for or against keeping one chambered, I learn from both. For those that choose not to, I learn from their reasons not to and maybe can prevent a similar incident myself. (As I carry with a round chambered). I do not take my choice for granted, my diligence needs to be maintained.
    vstromrider likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by vstromrider View Post
    Its based on the soup nazi, if your offended so easily sorry. maybe you have not had your coffee yet... on with the list of demands of why we must carry cond 1!
    No one demands you must carry Condition 1. It's (still, for a while yet) a free country, carry how you choose.

What you get here are strongly worded recommendations with the rationale behind them.

As to Condition 1 carriers making better lovers...
    vstromrider likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

1911 cocked and locked. Because that's the way John B. designed it to be carried! Nuff said.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

Reconsidering carrying one in the chamber....

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    My sarcastic side was thinking any little bump could set off a holstered, chambered pistol with the safety engaged. But yes the possibility of bruises and the chance of being knocked out do exist.
    Purple. We have to post sarcasm in purple.

I had a feeling you were heading down that road but the eyeroll threw me off. We are on the same page.
    joker1 likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

But if the kids get the hands on the gun, it doesn't matter what you are carrying and chambered or not...[/QUOTE]

I understand your point, and you are right. BUT: Its possible that a Glock could fire somewhat "faster" than other pistols.
    For example, if a child even touches the trigger on a Glock, it will fire. This could happen in less than one second, and it doesn't matter what size a child's hand is. In contrast, it would be MUCH more difficult for a small child to depress a grip safety, then push a safety button and then pull the trigger. Or handguns with heavy trigger pulls may not fire as likely as a Glock.

So if an adult notices a child about to touch a gun, they will likely have time to prevent an AD with most handguns, but not so much with a Glock.

But if the kids get the hands on the gun, it doesn't matter what you are carrying and chambered or not...[/QUOTE]

I understand your point, and you are right. BUT: Its possible that a Glock could fire somewhat "faster" than other pistols.
    For example, if a child even touches the trigger on a Glock, it will fire. This could happen in less than one second, and it doesn't matter what size a child's hand is. In contrast, it would be MUCH more difficult for a small child to depress a grip safety, then push a safety button and then pull the trigger. Or handguns with heavy trigger pulls may not fire as likely as a Glock.

So if an adult notices a child about to touch a gun, they will likely have time to prevent an AD with most handguns, but not so much with a Glock.

Bottom line: Even though one may be "slightly" less safe around someone with no firearm training (child or adult) keep them all as secure as possible, while still allowing them to be as accessible as "safely" possible.

If a child is touching or handling a gun it is the gun owners fault....period. You should always have positive control of your weapon at all times. If you as the weapon owner can't maintain control then consider getting a wiffle ball bat or a slingshot. The 1911 is one of the safest pistols around since it has 3 safeties. If you still have issues with cocked and locked then go find something else to carry, but I doubt it will be a safer weapon.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

Quote Originally Posted by OneSilverT View Post
    Maybe this was God's way of telling me.
    or Darwin.....

Ive expressed myself somewhere on this site, makes no sense carrying ur weapon empty chamber for protection !!! Think about it (empty for protection) ?? "Always cocked and locked" god wised you up. Amen.... Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by vstromrider View Post
    Then that man should consider cond 3 shouldnt he, it would make himself and the rest of us safer. there are many many negligent discharges with handguns. though none with empty chambers. I will not carry a pistol condition 1 unless its my p250 DAO or my M&Ps with safeties on. If you do thats fine ,just dont shoot me when you come over and visit and take off your pistol in my latrine to read the newspaper.. set you pistol down . It slips you grab it and bang..
    fixed it for you, i dont believe in ADs. And probably most of the "accidental" discharges are from people who would have swore that the gun was empty before they pulled the trigger. As in my previous post, keeping your booger hook off the bang switch until ready to fire is the only safety most of us need.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links