Reconsidering carrying one in the chamber....

This is a discussion on Reconsidering carrying one in the chamber.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That is why I like the SA/DA. It would take quite a bit of misuse to fire off that first round. When I do go ...

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: Reconsidering carrying one in the chamber....

That is why I like the SA/DA. It would take quite a bit of misuse to fire off that first round. When I do go to the range I do practice pulling it up decocker the. Double tapping the target. So I get a costumed to first pull DA second SA.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    fixed it for you, i dont believe in ADs. And probably most of the "accidental" discharges are from people who would have swore that the gun was empty before they pulled the trigger. As in my previous post, keeping your booger hook off the bang switch until ready to fire is the only safety most of us need.
    You dont believe in ADs? You can call them dumb discharges or whatever you like. they happen .. and to tell me a weapon with a empty chamber is not a ready weapon.. is silly. try to rob me see what happens to ya( this is humor)...
    condition yellow is more important than condition 1... Again I carry cond 1 in in the pistols that are dao or safety equipped.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    Lighten up Francis
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vstromrider View Post
    You dont believe in ADs? You can call them dumb discharges or whatever you like. they happen .. and to tell me a weapon with a empty chamber is not a ready weapon.. is silly. try to rob me see what happens to ya( this is humor)...
    condition yellow is more important than condition 1... Again I carry cond 1 in in the pistols that are dao or safety equipped.
    no I don't. I believe in NDs. I do believe that carrying a concealed cond 3 weapon isnt a ready weapon. Situational awareness obviously important, never said it wasn't. However, as the GG, you are always reacting to the BGs actions. I prefer the least amount of steps to be ready to use my firearm if needed. But to each, their own.
    tacman605 and pittypat21 like this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

VIP Member
    vstromrider. Hate to tell ya but a weapon carried with an empty chamber is not a ready weapon in most cases. With enough time and distance you can draw, chamber, acquire and fire but not at close contact ranges, not gonna happen sorry. You cannot hope to see the threat coming from a distance in order to give yourself enough time to do what you need to do much less physically defend yourself and your firearm while attempting to chamber a round.
    If you don't carry a round in the chamber that is up to you makes no difference to me at all but if you only carry certain guns certain ways you need to increase your skill and comfort level.
    1MoreGoodGuy and limatunes like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I am always surprised when there is a debate about one in the chamber. But then I remember before I was of the "carrying" mindset when my husband could talk about concealed carry and one in the chamber I thought it sounded unsafe. But after learning how to shoot and taking some classes I carry everywhere that I go and always with one in the chamber.

My husband and I do disagree on the condition of the gun at the house. He does not have one in the chamber and requests that I do not either. We do not have kids so we do not have to have the guns up and out of the way when we are home, instead they are on the table next to us, or on the couch, or just going room to room. I keep mine nestled on the spice shelf when I am cooking. (wouldnt that surprise the heck out of a BG? ) He's a bit of a dry fire fiend and although he abides by the 4 safety rules he prefers knowing that there isn't one in the chamber. I feel that I should have one in the chamber at home and he should just follow the safety rules and then wouldnt have to worry about it.
    If its on my hip then there is always one in the chamber.
    9MMare likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshooter View Post
    I am always surprised when there is a debate about one in the chamber. But then I remember before I was of the "carrying" mindset when my husband could talk about concealed carry and one in the chamber I thought it sounded unsafe. But after learning how to shoot and taking some classes I carry everywhere that I go and always with one in the chamber.

My husband and I do disagree on the condition of the gun at the house. He does not have one in the chamber and requests that I do not either. We do not have kids so we do not have to have the guns up and out of the way when we are home, instead they are on the table next to us, or on the couch, or just going room to room. I keep mine nestled on the spice shelf when I am cooking. (wouldnt that surprise the heck out of a BG? ) He's a bit of a dry fire fiend and although he abides by the 4 safety rules he prefers knowing that there isn't one in the chamber. I feel that I should have one in the chamber at home and he should just follow the safety rules and then wouldnt have to worry about it.
    If its on my hip then there is always one in the chamber.
    I strongly agee with you. Just something to consider: If your handgun has one in the chamber "sometimes" (while carrying outside the home) and sometimes not (inside the home), in a time of stress will you just instinctively pull the trigger - then remember you need to rack the slide? Or, always immediately rack the slide before firing? Or perhaps even stand there looking at the gun in your hand and wondering why it didn't go bang when you pulled the trigger? In an emergency situation I'd prefer not to do a malfunction drill as my first, or second response.

Maybe it's a better idea to dedicate one room for dryfiring and NEVER take loaded guns there, or allow ammunition in that area. And simply know that all guns ARE loaded with one in the chamber. And ALWAYS check a gun to ensure it's clear before beginning dryfire practice.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMick View Post
    Maybe it's a better idea to dedicate one room for dryfiring and NEVER take loaded guns there, or allow ammunition in that area. And simply know that all guns ARE loaded with one in the chamber. And ALWAYS check a gun to ensure it's clear before beginning dryfire practice.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
    That's the way we do it in our house.

IMHO, guns are ALWAYS loaded. I don't care if I've repeated racked the slide, visually checked it, stuck my pinky down the chamber & run a bright orange wire-tie up the mag well through the ejection port. That handgun is STILL ALWAYS LOADED!
    pittypat21 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Granted I did not read all 6 pages.

Sounds like the guy was out looking for some money. Many people believe that church goers are easy targets to beg some money from.

Personally, I feel safer with a round in the chamber and the handgun on my body. I know where it is and I know that no one is going mess with it.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Carrying chambered (or not) is something that we all had to consider at some point. Very early on I decided if it was worth it to me to carry a gun, it was worth carrying all the time. If it was worth carrying all the time, then it was worth carrying in a manner in which it was ready to use. If it was worth carrying ready to use, I wanted the least amount of stuff to think about, mess with, or possibly go wrong in the process of deploying. I subscribe to the "KISS" rule of keeping it simple. I figure I won't need my gun often, but in the event I ever do then I would really need it ina big way and in a hurry...and I'd have a lot of other things going through my mind. I don't want to chance a short-rack, misfeed, forgotten safety, etc. Point and shoot...repeat quickly as necessary.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

In the scenario you described and in other possible situations you and your family may confront the biggest failure/weakness is that your wife is unarmed! Remedy that situation immediately.

If she were armed (lets say with a revolver) she could have "bought" you time to chamber a round and provided additional firepower and tactical advantage.
    9MMare likes this.
    You can get a lot with a smile but you can get a lot more with a smile and a gun...Al Capone

Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    why are you carrying a paper weight with you? Check out the tellor drill on Youtube you won't be able to respond fast enough. A man can cover 30 feet in under 3 seconds you drawing and chambering a round is impossible
    Billb1960 likes this.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

if you were carrying a DA revolver, would you load the chambers or carry it empty?

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I carried a 6-shot revolver for years with an empty chamber...yeah, that made it a 5-shot revolver. I changed that practice when I was in combat and needed all the ammo available.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Links