Reconsidering carrying one in the chamber....

This is a discussion on Reconsidering carrying one in the chamber.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hopyard Just curious, what is your 380 and why do you not carry it with one in the chamber as you do ...

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: Reconsidering carrying one in the chamber....

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Just curious, what is your 380 and why do you not carry it with one in the chamber as you
    do your others, except the M&P?
    its a DB 380 no safety, the 357 sig M&Pc also has no safety .

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    Wow. Did everyone not have their morning coffee? Am I the only one who understands the soup nazi reference? Seinfeld anyone?
    hahah i got it. not saying ANYTHING is EVER funny regarding Nazi's, only that they lost and what not! But that is a hilarious episode! I don't have my CCW and even when I do take my handgun with me i have to chamber it when my wife isn't looking. She lost her father to a self inflicting wound to the head so she is already nervous around handguns but doesn't prevent me from purchasing all the guns I want. She also refuses to handle ANY gun that isn't a revolver or bolt action. Having a child changes everything. As far as I'm concerned I'm fully aware of my firearm at all times. Having my little one around just keeps me on top of it even more.

Well I made my point, which is that you Condition 1 or die folks sure get your emotions up about this... I will carry however I think is best, depending on where I will be going , how I will be traveling where I will be spending my time.

VIP Member
    JMB. Welcome to the forum.

Yes you are correct. Any number of things can pull the trigger making the gun go bang, my comment was directed toward the person physically handling the firearm. Reholstering is one of the main culprits. The old style suicide straps caused many a firearm to discharge as the leather hammer strap became tangled in the trigger and when resistance was met instead of stopping, just shove it in harder became the action taken.

Side zippers and drawstrings are other culprits again folks would try to speed reholster and the string or zipper tab would hook the trigger as it was holstered. Always look your gun into the holster, if it is safe to do so, and don't hurry to do so. You are reholstering because the threat is over. When reholstering my thumb goes to the back of the slide and my finger along side the frame and I look it all the way in. Can I reholster without looking? Absolutely but why do it if not needed. Selecting a good holster is imperative for both retention and safety.

vstromrider. Hope it all works out for you.
    lchamp likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

RKM
    I never hurry reholstering of a loaded firearm.

VIP Member
    Originally Posted by sioux565
    Wow. Did everyone not have their morning coffee? Am I the only one who understands the soup nazi reference? Seinfeld anyone?
    Pardon my ignorance but what is a Soup Nazi or a Seinfeld?
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Seinfeld was a sitcom starring Jerry Seinfeld and the soup nazi was I think a character on there who ran a diner or something and would cuss out the customers and kick them out of the place at a whim.

If this is incorrect sorry did not watch it that much.
    oneshot likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Yes and he would yell, "No soup for you!" And pointed toward the door for that customer to leave. You would have to watch it but it was quite funny actually.
    9MMare likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

All dead men are equally dead, regardless of training, slide racking abilities, hand to hand combat abilities or job descriptions.

And I can prove it.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by vstromrider View Post
    Well I made my point, which is that you Condition 1 or die folks sure get your emotions up about this... I will carry however I think is best, depending on where I will be going , how I will be traveling where I will be spending my time.
    "I am 51 years old. have had my CCP since 93. 2 years on a tactical unit with the state, have won combat matches high ranking in judo and juijitsu, have been thru a riot at the prison . pulling armed inmates out of burning structures during that riot. Dealt with stabbings ,armed inmates again > 1 officer to 150 inmates. worked in kitchen security < alone< unarmed while inmates used many sharp knives to make food.
    Had to deal with 1 armed confrontaion directed toward me near my home. 6 years in the military 2 of that in Turkey during 80-82 when terrorist were shooting people ( Lost a First Sergeant < shot< next to our post office there. Have been to Front sight ,Train in the local FAST shooting club Trained with The Border Patrols SRT . Trained with JR Frye ( UFC champion) who was part of our dojo"

Great thing about this country.......everyone's opinion is valued and protected.....but......your reseme leads me to believe it's flawed......OMO.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vstromrider View Post
    its a DB 380 no safety, the 357 sig M&Pc also has no safety .

^^^^^^You have the same^^^^^^^^^^

M&P that I have, which replaced a S&W M&P 9c, neither of which had a safety.
    The firearm does not scare me. It does not go band unless I make it go bang.
    It resides in a holster which covers every aspect of the trigger.
    The pistol WON'T go BANG unless I make it go bang.
    And you sir have had far more extensive training and exposure to weapons and the handling and keeping of them.
    YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Seinfeld was a sitcom starring Jerry Seinfeld and the soup nazi was I think a character on there who ran a diner or something and would cuss out the customers and kick them out of the place at a whim.

If this is incorrect sorry did not watch it that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Yes and he would yell, "No soup for you!" And pointed toward the door for that customer to leave. You would have to watch it but it was quite funny actually.

^YEP^^^^^^^^^^
    The Soup Nazi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Funny stuff.
    Video

Seinfeld-Soup Nazi (Greatest Parts) - YouTube
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Wow-discussions like this are one of the reasons I stopped frequenting other firearms forums.

For me personally (I'm not a trainer and do not tell grown men and women what they should do), I carry with a round in the chamber in a quality holster. My choice in handguns is based on my comfort level. A Glock is a fantastic pistol, but I prefer the XD for the additional grip safety. It can't fire unless the trigger is pressed AND I have a proper grip on it. That's just me--many of my friends carry Glocks. When holstering in the morning, I push on the rear of the slide and keep my hands away from the grip safety. If it's not on me (meaning, it's in the safe), I remove the round from the chamber but leave a fully loaded magazine in the pistol. That's just me. My other defensive handgun is a little J Frame 642. Again, I appreciate the heavy DA trigger as the primary safety on the gun, but still keep all cylinders loaded and the revolver is in a quality pocket holster. In the safe, the cylinder is empty.

Different strokes for different folks.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I've read several discussions about this. I am convinced to carry my Glock with one in the chamber. However, when I first started to carry concealed I did not. I'm glad I got over this quickly. I think it is bad to not be consistent. I don't ever want to have to second guess...do I have one ready to go or not?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    tacman605 likes this.

For what it's worth I use condition 1. In a crisis you may not have two free hands. Especially if you're trying to get away holding a child's hand or shielding them. Secret Service stays within arms length with one in the pipe. That's good enough for me and mine.

It took me a while to get comfortable with it, but when I'm carrying out of the house, it's in "condition 1" readiness. The PPS is tucked in its IWB holster (Crossbreed) and not going to discharge on its own, and when I'm ocing, the PPQ is in it's IMI polymer holster with a singlepoint retention. Either weapon is not going to fire unless I pull the trigger, which would require me pulling the firearm.

Seconds matter, and I'd rather be ready if the worst happened. The gun will never be out of its holster in public unless there is a threat, so I'm not worried about mishandling it.

At home, however, I "step" them down to loaded but unchambered. In my home I like having the extra safety, especially with the daughter around, of having an unchambered firearm. My house affords me an extra few seconds to chamber a round - the only two points of entrance do not go directly into the house but into entry ways that also have no line of sight to the actual living areas what so ever. I feel this is a good compromise between out and about and at home.

A note about my daughter: She's 10, we bought her first firearm at 9 1/2, a Remington youth .22LR. She's well familiar with firearm safety, but a bit of extra precaution on my part, I feel, is expected.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Links