Reconsidering carrying one in the chamber....

This is a discussion on Reconsidering carrying one in the chamber.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had a ccw for a while, but only have actively carried my G19 for the past few months. With small children, I have ...

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: Reconsidering carrying one in the chamber....

Reconsidering carrying one in the chamber....

I have had a ccw for a while, but only have actively carried my G19 for the past few months. With small children, I have been shyed away from carrying chambered. My daily life is fairly mundane, and sometimes my weapon is secured in my vehicle in order to prevent exposure.

This evening, my family went to church. My weapon was on my person. After the services, my family of 4 walked across the street to a poorly lit parking lot. While crossing the street, my wife and I noticed a large male, dressed in black, in the corner near our car. She made sure I noticed too. I would have been really un easy had an off duty cop (church security)in uniform/cruiser had not been parked within 20 feet of where this guy was. As we approached he spoke to me, no threatening words, but very uncomfortable. We quickly put kids in car while we moved around the lot. He walked two cars over and stood next to another church member who was sitting in his car......very odd.

The Leo finally confronted him as we left.

I'm 6'3, 225 and this guy was much larger. This made me very aware that had something occurred, securing my kids/wife, drawing, chambering would not have worked......

Just wanted to share this with others who may be carrying an empty chamber. Maybe this was God's way of telling me.
    Last edited by OneSilverT; November 15th, 2012 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Typo

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I carry a 1911, an empty chamber gives you a 28oz paperweight.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I've got a couple friends with young children. Basically anything with a pulse scares them if their kids around. All the crazy stuff we used to do in college; now it's all, "which stroller is safest?"

But yeah, you never know what you might end up needing that off-hand for.
    fail_187 and ruger91 like this.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Quote Originally Posted by OneSilverT View Post
    I have had a ccw for a while, but only have actively carried my G19 for the past few months. With small children, I have been shyed away from carrying chambered. My daily life is fairly mundane, and sometimes my weapon is secured in my vehicle in order to prevent exposure.

This evening, my family went to church. My weapon was on my person. After the services, my family of 4 walked across the street to a poorly lit parking lot. While crossing the street, my wife and I noticed a large male, dressed in black, in the corner near our car. She made sure I noticed too. I would have been really un easy had an off duty cop (church security)in uniform/cruiser had not been parked within 20 feet of where this guy was. As we approached he spoke to me, no threatening words, but very uncomfortable. We quickly put kids in car while we moved around the lot. He walked two cars over and stood next to another church member who was sitting in his car......very odd.

The Leo finally confronted him as we left.

I'm 6'3, 225 and this guy was much larger. This made me very aware that had something occurred, securing my kids/wife, drawing, chambering would not have worked......

Just wanted to share this with others who may be carrying an empty chamber. Maybe this was God's way of telling me.
    Do you recall if you seen him inside during the service? Maybe he was waiting for somebody. What did he say to you?

On another note, in regards to him going up to another members car, perhaps he was making a drug deal? Even church-goers happen to use drugs.

If you happen to find out what happened when LEO confronted him, please update as well.
    perfection likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

For me, it seems more likely to have a ND under stress tying to chamber a round.

I've never had to draw my weapon, but if I do, I want all of my attention focused on the threat, not making sure my gun is ready to go.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    For me, it seems more likely to have a ND under stress tying to chamber a round.

I've never had to draw my weapon, but if I do, I want all of my attention focused on the threat, not making sure my gun is ready to go.
    I can definitely understand the reasoning in both parts of your post. I've done under stress drills far as chambering/reloading and would recommend them to anybody who hasn't. It's something you can really do with just a friend(s) (i.e. screaming at you the whole time putting pressure on you, etc.) but a class would be even better of course.

I carry with one in the pipe for the same reason I bolded and I've had to draw. It was one less thing to worry about when split seconds count.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I ALWAYS carry cocked and locked, otherwise it might as well be in the safe.
    JDE101 and Bubbiesdad like this.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

KoB
    I too have young ones (8, 6, and 3) and they all know daddy carries a pistol. We discuss gun safety alot,but with children there is never enough gun safety talks.

Don't be afraid to introduce firearm safety with your children. As far as carrying in church, at first wife didn't like it (IWB), so I compromised: I still carry, just tote LCR in pocket...out of sight out of mind!

VIP Member
    If you are not comfortable with carrying a Glock chambered, you might want to onsider another weapon or just become more familiar with the weapon and its safety features to convice yourself it is safe.

I don't carry SAO guns because I don't like "cocked and locked." It's purely a state of mind, not factual, I know cocked and locked is safe. I also don't appendix carry. These are my limitations, and I've recognized them. I could overcome them in time, but I don't feel the need to as I have other options.

Edit: I may have misunderstood your post re small children. But if the kids get the hands on the gun, it doesn't matter what you are carrying and chambered or not...

I carry a Ruger LCR 38 , just point and shoot.

Rich
    sioux565 likes this.

oh no here come the condition 1 nazis , You must carry cond 1! or you are unamerican. you must or you are the same as being unarmed!. if you carry cond 3 you will most certainly die! Condition 1 carry folks make better lovers! etc....
    Last edited by rocky; November 17th, 2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: removed political reference

I see these threads come up occasionally & always feel the same way. I am neither aggressive nor itching for the (even justified) chance to draw my handgun. Yet the decision to carry it (IMHO) comes with a series of prerequisites, one of which is to be immediately prepared to use it. I've heard of some military protocol (U.S. Embassy protection?) that dictates un-chambered carry rationalized as the weapons being primarily a "show of force". But that can't be the case with concealed carry. Would someone (other than vistromrider, I find his above comment both abrupt & insulting. Especially the word "nazi") take the time to explain to me the rationalization of un-chambered concealed carry?
    BamaT, JDE101 and tcox4freedom like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Oh no here come the new guys who think that under stress they can draw, chamber, engage and hit their target because they watched a youtube video's and the Israeli's do it.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I just purchased a 1911 .45 and it is on my desk now with one in the chamber and the saftey on. It takes a little getting use to and I check the saftey each time I pick it up. I do put it up when the Grandkids come to visit.

Its based on the soup nazi, if your offended so easily sorry. maybe you have not had your coffee yet... on with the list of demands of why we must carry cond 1!

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Links