Alone in a pitch black park - Page 2

Alone in a pitch black park

This is a discussion on Alone in a pitch black park within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sounds like you were scary more because being out of your normal environment. Which is perfectly natural. Carry a good light, don't walk at night ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Alone in a pitch black park

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like you were scary more because being out of your normal environment. Which is perfectly natural. Carry a good light, don't walk at night or learn to feel comfortable in the dark out of doors. If you get used to the environment you will most likely realize most of the animal sounds are small harmless creatures.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Sounds like you were scary more because being out of your normal environment. Which is perfectly natural. Carry a good light, don't walk at night or learn to feel comfortable in the dark out of doors. If you get used to the environment you will most likely realize most of the animal sounds are small harmless creatures.
    Well most of them are....

Alien_in_the_woods_by_Thyrring.jpg

Click image to enlarge

adric, get out of the city for a while man. I gathered a hint of panic in your OP that a good stint in the woods wouldn't fix.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I spend a lot of time in the woods and typically like to just let my eyes adjust instead of using light if I'm just walking. Having said that I'd recommend a light weight headlamp with possibly a tactical light in your pocket if you need one. This one is my favorite, it's light weight and I've had it for 4 years without any problems. photo (2).JPG
    Almost forgot, since you can't see in the small picture, this is a blackdiamond storm headlamp.

Hmmm, Oakmont or Foster Park?

I carry a Streamlight ProTac 2L clipped inside my front pants pocket. It's small, but the 180 lumen high beam will light up treetops, and even the 10 lumen low beam is plenty to see in a dark room.

ProTac® Series - ProTac® 2L | Streamlight

There are much smaller options that would still give plenty of light on a moonless night.:

Key Chain Light Series - MicroStream® | Streamlight

VIP Member
    When I was in the military, operating in the dark was referred to as being tactical.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

How about a walking stick or a cane which is something I have with me all the time put a glow stick down at bottom of stick and who's going to attack a Smurf

RAL
    On all walks I have a small backpack with cell phone, flashlight, first aid kit, water, grizzly bear pepper spray, brass tipped walking stick, etc. It's permanently packed. I also walk with 2 dogs (not small, one is a sweet pit bull). You never know . . .
    I know Whose I am. I know where I'm going. I know the job I'm to do while I'm here. I am an ambassador. This is not my home.

Evil prospers when good people to do nothing. Please don't turn your back. ACT!

Remember if you cant see the bg cant see either, unless he has a flashlight but now you'll see him... Animals now thats differant they can see in pitch blackness, thats what i'd worry about.... get a flshlight app. On your cell phone go to app. Store and down loaded its free.. You always carry ur phone we dont always carry flashlight on us !! ..... Eddie.

Speaking of flashlights ladies and gentlemen, what is a good decently sized flashlight to carry that won't bulge from within my pocket and make people think things they shouldn't?
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

VIP Member
    Adric22. Along with the others, get a light and carry it with you all the time.

Now I am not being a sarcastic or anything else when I ask this but want you to use this as a training experience. At the height of your panic what were you feeling? Eyes were probably dialated, dry mouth, increased heart rate, increased respiration, hyper vigilant to sounds? Many of these things are what you will feel when involved in a SD encounter.

Do you have night sights on your gun? How do you think you would have reacted if someone confronted you at that moment, even simply out of the darkness a voice saying "Hello"? In scenarios like the one you encountered it becomes a never ending spiral. It gets dark, you get anxious, it gets darker taking away one of your primary senses you get more anxious which causes your heart rate to go up, breathing quickens. You hear every little noise which makes you more vigilant but with with this increased vigilance comes all the things mentioned above that can effect the way we respond to something.

There is only one thing to do at this point. STOP, backup and regroup. Take a couple of minutes and adjust to your surroundings. Take in a couple of deep breaths, slow your heart rate down. When you do start walking again don't rush walk slowly and surely and simply be aware of your surroundings, as you can see them anyway, and continue to listen identifying distance and direction of sounds.

My suggestion to you is to go out for a night walk, prepared this time, with a light and see what works best for you in terms of gear, shine the light or not, and so on. Take someone with you if needed. You have to own the enviroment that you are in, you cannot let it own you.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I hunt, and that involves going out and coming back when it is really dark out. This spooked me quite a bit the first few times I went out, and I realized that its actually better WITHOUT the light. In the dark turning on a flashlight allows you to see anything in that cone of light, but at the cost of any peripheral vision. Try it out sometime. Go outside and turn on a bright flashlight and notice how little you can see outside that. Best thing I can suggest is to try and just take a few deep breaths and let your eyes get used to the dark. Carry a small flashlight for emergencies of course, but just being on the trail your best tool is the natural eyesight you evolved to see in the dark.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Oh and as far as a small light to put in a pocket, I like a mid-sized flashlight that fits into a multi-tool pouch that goes on the belt. The surefire E1B comes to mind, otherwise big outdoor stores such as Cabela's and Gander Mtn make similar lights at a much lower price point. My light is a Gander Mtn 220 lumen GSX flashlight. Got it on sale for $20. Small enough to put in a pocket if you want, otherwise the multi-tool or compact cell phone cases work great too.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Quote Originally Posted by bgusty View Post
    Oh and as far as a small light to put in a pocket, I like a mid-sized flashlight that fits into a multi-tool pouch that goes on the belt. The surefire E1B comes to mind, otherwise big outdoor stores such as Cabela's and Gander Mtn make similar lights at a much lower price point. My light is a Gander Mtn 220 lumen GSX flashlight. Got it on sale for $20. Small enough to put in a pocket if you want, otherwise the multi-tool or compact cell phone cases work great too.
    Thanks, appreciate it. Looks like I have an excuse to go by Cabela's over Thanksgiving break... YES!
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links