Alone in a pitch black park

This is a discussion on Alone in a pitch black park within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 5 LED Baseball Cap Light w Batteries Amazon.com: 5 LED Baseball Cap Light w Batteries: Everything Else 219Jei9JGlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Alone in a pitch black park

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by A7xSchecter6661 View Post
    I do not carry a flashlight (or a gun yet) but I do carry my phone which has a very bright built in flashlight.
    Anyways one of the LED pens would be a good idea like above. I haven't been in your situation before but I have chased things into the woods with guns.

Only to then realize I am out in the middle of the woods in pitch blackness and alone
    Yep, most cell phones have a way of using their camera flash as a flashlight. Also, there are several "flashlight" apps you can download.

Administrator
    I noticed that in the photo of your Daughter in the park...she has nothing with her.

If she ever got separated from you she should have some basics with her like a small pack with a bottle of water and a "food bar" or two and a flashlight, whistle, and two compact heat reflective space blankets and a cell phone.

While it's unlikely that she could get lost for very long in such a park setting - people DO lose there sense of direction just walking into the woods a short way to pee sometimes.

It has been known to happen and often.

Even though it's also unlikely that she will ever get separated from you in the park...she is old enough to learn some basic survival skills.

OK while we are on unlikely scenarios....Let us say that you are in the park with with her and it is dusk but, not dark yet and you suffer a heart attack...she panics and runs to get help and now it is dark and she gets lost. She will have everything she needs to survive the night until she gets found the next day.
    Maybe you don't have a heart attack. Maybe a freak storm comes up and you get by lightning.

Anyway it's good practice for anybody going into any woods setting to have a basic little kit with them even if it is just a small fanny pack.

Additionally - Teaching basic "what to do if" skills to kids is great, constructive, quality time.
    pgrass101, ep1953 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    Buy a River Rock Night Fire LED Micro Light - They are about 6 bucks and small enough clip onto a belt loop. 12 hours run time and more than bright enough to see a path in pitch darkness.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Even those little keychain LED (ie, Photon) lights can work in a pinch, certainly sufficient for staying on a known, wide, cemented path. Easy enough to attach to the set of keys, or to the first loop of the shoe laces on the walking/running shoes. Works very well, for when a larger, "proper" light isn't really needed.

My tools of choice:

• Malkoff M61W LED in a SolarForce L2 host, running on an 18650 2900mAh Li-Ion cell. Fantastic light quality and beam.
    • S-Mini 3-mode LED light (ShiningBeam), running on an 18650 2900mAh Li-Ion cell. With a ~9 lumen "low" setting, it'll run practically forever, while the 350 lumen "high" setting is plenty for rooting around the darkest spots.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I noticed that in the photo of your Daughter in the park...she has nothing with her.

If she ever got separated from you she should have some basics with her like a small pack with a bottle of water and a "food bar" or two and a flashlight, whistle, and two compact heat reflective space blankets and a cell phone.

Fanny packs are great, for this sort of thing. A nice little "go bag" of sorts, for everyone. Tramping around off the beaten path in many of the western states taught me that getting back to the car or group isn't always a sure thing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Alone in a pitch black park

This is all you need in a flashlight.
    http://youtu.be/k4xxUKew30c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

Quote Originally Posted by paullie View Post
    You dont carry a flashlight 24/7??? That's just part of getting dressed. I have one like this on me alll the time

it's not the best light in the world but it's the same size as a pen, cost $6, is LED, 2 AAA batts come with it, and did I say that's only $6. Comes in handy all the time
    I haven't gotten past this reply so I'm sure others have already seconded this! I can't carry a gun at work but whether I'm at work or not I ALWAYS have my Surefire LED in my pocket.

PS: One night I was doing the preflight inspection on my airplane when my smart*** F/O said "You got a permit for that thing"? Very funny!

Re: Alone in a pitch black park

I've still got my LAPD flashlight. Holds 6 "D" size batteries end to end. :D

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

Senior Moderator
    There are two things that you can do.

Follow the BoyScout motto...which is be prepared...and bring a flashlight.

The other thing is to let your eyes aclimate to the dark. Its hardly every really pitch black anywhere you go. If its was pitch black, it looks like the surface is concrete, just stay on it.

No animal is going to jump you...unless you are having problems with starved wolves traveling in a pack. I am assuming you dont have that issue, or you would have at least heard about it.

Another thing you can do is to carry a walking stick. Not only does it help to ease the load some, but you can use it to tap the sidewalk, much as a bling person does when walking. That will keep you on it.
    And added plus to that, is that you can use it like a weapon if in the unlikely event some thug does jump you in the dark. A quick poke on the top of the foot with an arcing swing to the side of the head will usaully deter most thugs,and being in the dark YOU will have the advantage.
    BenGoodLuck and QKShooter like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Glad you're ok. I think we've all been in situations where our fears have become almost overwhelming. The odds of a human lurking on an almost deserted trail seem pretty low to me - they'd be waiting for nothing, most likely. Do you know whether there have ever been any crimes reported on the trail and, if so, what types of crimes?

I think the best advice is to stay off the trail well before it's getting dark, but to also carry a flashlight of some sort. FYI, I have a flashlight app for my smartphone (Android). If you have a smartphone, you can find several apps at https://play.google.com/store/search?q=flashlight or check out Google Play on your phone.

I think it would have been better to keep your gun holstered but your hand at the gun's grip, ready to draw. Keeping your gun in your hand, even if your finger was off the trigger, could have been dangerous. What if you panicked and fired a shot for no reason, or you might have tripped and the gun could have gone flying off into the darkness.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

(Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    EDC Tact light for stuff like this.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Good flashlight, bright, and not as expensive as many . I have some that cost me $85-$95, and don't work as well as this one. Has a clip to put on your belt, jogging pants, or whatever. Light and not that big, but definitely does the job... and you can get it for $25 shipped. It's bright enough it would blind someone, and has an easy strobe function that a person wouldn't like either if you were shining it at them.

130 lumen CREE G2 LED flashlight from Gun Shack for $20.00 + $5.00 shipping - outdoor, tools, flashlight

When out on the farm with no moon you can't see your hand in front of your face. Now, I know about every nook and cranny, but I've seen people used to the city lights go frantic walking into the dark like that. Which, typically leaves me laughing. I'm accustomed to it, always have a gun on me, so besides some nocturnal animals that won't want to be around humans.... it's a none issue. I have also tracked down some cattle theives out in the dark pasture, then "lit" them up ...... much to their surprise.
    When I shot a shotgun blast into the air, it was rather humorous listening to them falling in the dark, yelling out when they got hurt, and cussing the whole way as they ran off ..... oooops, forgot they didn't know where those deep gullies were .... they might fall into. LOL.

I like camping in the mountains, etc. as well ... and my only concern there is running into a black bear by surprise....

If your park / trail is in a large city, then you need to be aware of the human element as well.
    cell phone, gun, flashlight..... not too much to be concerned about after that.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I'm so sorry for your terrifying experience. I hope you can pull through and put this behind you
    Lifetime NRA member

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatime View Post
    I'm so sorry for your terrifying experience. I hope you can pull through and put this behind you
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links