Defensive Carry banner

Alone in a pitch black park

7K views 46 replies 38 participants last post by  Fizban 
#1 ·
So there are these paved trails in a nearby park that stretch for miles. The trails are covered to the left, right, and above by thick trees and brush. During the Summer I use these to take my walks/jogs because the shade provided by the trees make all of the difference in the world. It is also much more quiet and relaxing because the trees cancel out all of the city noise and I don't have to listen to traffic, or worry about getting run over, etc. During daylight hours it is common to pass somebody else walking/biking/rollerskating/jogging every minute or two.

Well, when the time changed recently I was out taking my walk and didn't take that into account and I found myself in a kind of scary situation. Since I walk for a mile or two and then turn around and head back to my car, I found myself about 20 minutes away from the car and noticed it was getting very dark. And since the trees are so thick, even above, I quickly realized that there was not going to even be any moonlight. I also realized that even though the trails are paved, there are no lights installed anywhere. I also realized I was alone because I hadn't seen anyone else in quite a while.

So I turned around and started heading back to the car at a high rate of speed. I was hoping I could make it back to the car before it became pitch black. After about 10 minutes it had become nearly pitch black. Unfortunately, I had to slow down because I could no longer see where I was going and was afraid I'd run into something. I still had about 10 minutes to go to get back to the car. I actually became quite scared. I really wouldn't have expected myself to panic in a situation like this, but I kept hearing noises from the animals that live in the woods. I don't normally hear that during the daylight. Plus I was never sure if it was an animal or maybe a human lurking around waiting for some idiot like me to come by defenseless. I was walking almost completely blind. I pulled out my cell phone but the screen was just barely enough to allow me to see the concrete 4 or 5 feet ahead of me. I became so anxious that I switched to an open-carry position, just in case I needed to get to my gun more quickly.

Eventually I did make it back to the main area of the park where there were plenty of people and lots of artificial light around.

But this whole incident left me thinking about things for the last few weeks. First of all, the trails have a sign saying they are open to 11:00pm. Even during the Summer time, there will be no light after 9:00pm. So I am wondering if anyone ever walks these trails after dark. If so, what is the best way to go about it? Bring a bright flashlight? A head-mounted light? Night vision goggles? I'm also wondering if anyone believes there would be any danger in walking these trails at night? If so, would the most likely danger be from animals or from people?

Here's a photo I took during the daytime. That's my daughter, she occasionally goes walking with me in the trails. But yeah, the trail just goes for miles and looks pretty much like that the whole way.

See less See more
#38 ·
I haven't gotten past this reply so I'm sure others have already seconded this! I can't carry a gun at work but whether I'm at work or not I ALWAYS have my Surefire LED in my pocket.

PS: One night I was doing the preflight inspection on my airplane when my smart*** F/O said "You got a permit for that thing"? Very funny! :smile:

#4 ·
Ok I think theres a double requirement here.

#1 a 360 deg all around lamp for general illumination.
I have a River Rock 3AA Nightfire LED Lantern R-LC3AA ---> LINK
For that.
Damn thing lasts forever. I keep it handy at home for power outages <Florida thunderstorms>

#2 Get the tactical flashlight of your choice for point-illumination.

#5 ·
I often walk in the dark, with no light. I am not worried about animals and figure that I can see just as good in the dark as someone hiding in the dark. Plus since I walk quietly they wouldn't be aware of me until I was past them.

#7 ·
I always have a flashlight on me. I carry one of two depending on the situation I'll be in. If it's already dark or I know I'll be out in the dark I carry a Quark Tactical 123 or AA light clipped to a pocket or in a jacket pocket. Otherwise I have a small Quark Mini 123 I keep in my pants pocket.

I also have a 5.11 A1 light I got for free after buying 3 pairs of pants but don't carry that much. It's bigger than my Tactical 123 but it does have a crenulated bezel for striking if needed.

#14 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. Actually I always have a really nice flashlight in my emergency bag which I keep in the car, as well as some glow-sticks, etc. I just didn't think to take it with me that day because I wasn't expecting it to get that dark.

As for the statement about someone hiding in the dark not being able to see me either.. That is the thing, I was thinking of. I'm I'm shining a flashlight as I walk/jog then somebody hiding in the bushes will see me a long time before I see them and could possibly take me by surprise.

#15 ·
I do not carry a flashlight (or a gun yet) but I do carry my phone which has a very bright built in flashlight.
Anyways one of the LED pens would be a good idea like above. I haven't been in your situation before but I have chased things into the woods with guns.

Only to then realize I am out in the middle of the woods in pitch blackness and alone

#32 ·
I do not carry a flashlight (or a gun yet) but I do carry my phone which has a very bright built in flashlight.
Anyways one of the LED pens would be a good idea like above. I haven't been in your situation before but I have chased things into the woods with guns.

Only to then realize I am out in the middle of the woods in pitch blackness and alone
Yep, most cell phones have a way of using their camera flash as a flashlight. Also, there are several "flashlight" apps you can download.

#16 ·
Sounds like you were scary more because being out of your normal environment. Which is perfectly natural. Carry a good light, don't walk at night or learn to feel comfortable in the dark out of doors. If you get used to the environment you will most likely realize most of the animal sounds are small harmless creatures.

#18 ·
adric, get out of the city for a while man. I gathered a hint of panic in your OP that a good stint in the woods wouldn't fix.

Reactions: atctimmy
#19 ·
I spend a lot of time in the woods and typically like to just let my eyes adjust instead of using light if I'm just walking. Having said that I'd recommend a light weight headlamp with possibly a tactical light in your pocket if you need one. This one is my favorite, it's light weight and I've had it for 4 years without any problems. Wrist Watch Finger Hand Yellow

Almost forgot, since you can't see in the small picture, this is a blackdiamond storm headlamp.

#24 ·
On all walks I have a small backpack with cell phone, flashlight, first aid kit, water, grizzly bear pepper spray, brass tipped walking stick, etc. It's permanently packed. I also walk with 2 dogs (not small, one is a sweet pit bull). You never know . . .

#25 ·
Remember if you cant see the bg cant see either, unless he has a flashlight but now you'll see him... Animals now thats differant they can see in pitch blackness, thats what i'd worry about.... get a flshlight app. On your cell phone go to app. Store and down loaded its free.. You always carry ur phone we dont always carry flashlight on us !! ..... Eddie.

#26 ·
Speaking of flashlights ladies and gentlemen, what is a good decently sized flashlight to carry that won't bulge from within my pocket and make people think things they shouldn't?

#27 ·
Adric22. Along with the others, get a light and carry it with you all the time.

Now I am not being a sarcastic or anything else when I ask this but want you to use this as a training experience. At the height of your panic what were you feeling? Eyes were probably dialated, dry mouth, increased heart rate, increased respiration, hyper vigilant to sounds? Many of these things are what you will feel when involved in a SD encounter.

Do you have night sights on your gun? How do you think you would have reacted if someone confronted you at that moment, even simply out of the darkness a voice saying "Hello"? In scenarios like the one you encountered it becomes a never ending spiral. It gets dark, you get anxious, it gets darker taking away one of your primary senses you get more anxious which causes your heart rate to go up, breathing quickens. You hear every little noise which makes you more vigilant but with with this increased vigilance comes all the things mentioned above that can effect the way we respond to something.

There is only one thing to do at this point. STOP, backup and regroup. Take a couple of minutes and adjust to your surroundings. Take in a couple of deep breaths, slow your heart rate down. When you do start walking again don't rush walk slowly and surely and simply be aware of your surroundings, as you can see them anyway, and continue to listen identifying distance and direction of sounds.

My suggestion to you is to go out for a night walk, prepared this time, with a light and see what works best for you in terms of gear, shine the light or not, and so on. Take someone with you if needed. You have to own the enviroment that you are in, you cannot let it own you.

#28 ·
I hunt, and that involves going out and coming back when it is really dark out. This spooked me quite a bit the first few times I went out, and I realized that its actually better WITHOUT the light. In the dark turning on a flashlight allows you to see anything in that cone of light, but at the cost of any peripheral vision. Try it out sometime. Go outside and turn on a bright flashlight and notice how little you can see outside that. Best thing I can suggest is to try and just take a few deep breaths and let your eyes get used to the dark. Carry a small flashlight for emergencies of course, but just being on the trail your best tool is the natural eyesight you evolved to see in the dark.

Reactions: BenGoodLuck
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.