Alone in a pitch black park

This is a discussion on Alone in a pitch black park within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So there are these paved trails in a nearby park that stretch for miles. The trails are covered to the left, right, and above by ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Alone in a pitch black park

So there are these paved trails in a nearby park that stretch for miles. The trails are covered to the left, right, and above by thick trees and brush. During the Summer I use these to take my walks/jogs because the shade provided by the trees make all of the difference in the world. It is also much more quiet and relaxing because the trees cancel out all of the city noise and I don't have to listen to traffic, or worry about getting run over, etc. During daylight hours it is common to pass somebody else walking/biking/rollerskating/jogging every minute or two.

Well, when the time changed recently I was out taking my walk and didn't take that into account and I found myself in a kind of scary situation. Since I walk for a mile or two and then turn around and head back to my car, I found myself about 20 minutes away from the car and noticed it was getting very dark. And since the trees are so thick, even above, I quickly realized that there was not going to even be any moonlight. I also realized that even though the trails are paved, there are no lights installed anywhere. I also realized I was alone because I hadn't seen anyone else in quite a while.

So I turned around and started heading back to the car at a high rate of speed. I was hoping I could make it back to the car before it became pitch black. After about 10 minutes it had become nearly pitch black. Unfortunately, I had to slow down because I could no longer see where I was going and was afraid I'd run into something. I still had about 10 minutes to go to get back to the car. I actually became quite scared. I really wouldn't have expected myself to panic in a situation like this, but I kept hearing noises from the animals that live in the woods. I don't normally hear that during the daylight. Plus I was never sure if it was an animal or maybe a human lurking around waiting for some idiot like me to come by defenseless. I was walking almost completely blind. I pulled out my cell phone but the screen was just barely enough to allow me to see the concrete 4 or 5 feet ahead of me. I became so anxious that I switched to an open-carry position, just in case I needed to get to my gun more quickly.

Eventually I did make it back to the main area of the park where there were plenty of people and lots of artificial light around.

But this whole incident left me thinking about things for the last few weeks. First of all, the trails have a sign saying they are open to 11:00pm. Even during the Summer time, there will be no light after 9:00pm. So I am wondering if anyone ever walks these trails after dark. If so, what is the best way to go about it? Bring a bright flashlight? A head-mounted light? Night vision goggles? I'm also wondering if anyone believes there would be any danger in walking these trails at night? If so, would the most likely danger be from animals or from people?

Here's a photo I took during the daytime. That's my daughter, she occasionally goes walking with me in the trails. But yeah, the trail just goes for miles and looks pretty much like that the whole way.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

You dont carry a flashlight 24/7??? That's just part of getting dressed. I have one like this on me alll the time

it's not the best light in the world but it's the same size as a pen, cost $6, is LED, 2 AAA batts come with it, and did I say that's only $6. Comes in handy all the time
    ep1953 and nerdyvirgin like this.

Administrator
    People are not anymore dangerous in the dark as the are in the daylight. And unless Ft. Worth has a nasty wolverine, Sasquatch or moth man problem, I wouldn't be concerned with animals either.

That said, I'd carry a small light with me, but I'd use it only in dire cases.
    mano3 and atctimmy like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ok I think theres a double requirement here.

#1 a 360 deg all around lamp for general illumination.
    I have a River Rock 3AA Nightfire LED Lantern R-LC3AA ---> LINK
    For that.
    Damn thing lasts forever. I keep it handy at home for power outages <Florida thunderstorms>

#2 Get the tactical flashlight of your choice for point-illumination.

Senior Moderator
    I often walk in the dark, with no light. I am not worried about animals and figure that I can see just as good in the dark as someone hiding in the dark. Plus since I walk quietly they wouldn't be aware of me until I was past them.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Bring a flashlight, your biggest danger is running into a tree or twisting your ankle.

Distinguished Member
    I always have a flashlight on me. I carry one of two depending on the situation I'll be in. If it's already dark or I know I'll be out in the dark I carry a Quark Tactical 123 or AA light clipped to a pocket or in a jacket pocket. Otherwise I have a small Quark Mini 123 I keep in my pants pocket.

I also have a 5.11 A1 light I got for free after buying 3 pairs of pants but don't carry that much. It's bigger than my Tactical 123 but it does have a crenulated bezel for striking if needed.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Oh, another thing... you're never alone.

Bwahahahahahahha!

Bring a flashlight, always.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Are you Canadian? It could have explained the unexpected panic when things turned pitch-black.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Running alone in the dark, using a remote ATM at 2:00 am, etc. All things that can be avoided. Common sense is usually right.
    pistola, ep1953, mkh and 1 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Administrator
    Night vision goggles seem like a good idea.
    PEF likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Night vision goggles seem like a good idea.
    And the awesome look will totally keep people away from you!
    ep1953 likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Thanks for all of the replies. Actually I always have a really nice flashlight in my emergency bag which I keep in the car, as well as some glow-sticks, etc. I just didn't think to take it with me that day because I wasn't expecting it to get that dark.

As for the statement about someone hiding in the dark not being able to see me either.. That is the thing, I was thinking of. I'm I'm shining a flashlight as I walk/jog then somebody hiding in the bushes will see me a long time before I see them and could possibly take me by surprise.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I do not carry a flashlight (or a gun yet) but I do carry my phone which has a very bright built in flashlight.
    Anyways one of the LED pens would be a good idea like above. I haven't been in your situation before but I have chased things into the woods with guns.

Only to then realize I am out in the middle of the woods in pitch blackness and alone

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links