When is okay to draw my weapon? What would you do in this situation - Page 4

When is okay to draw my weapon? What would you do in this situation

This is a discussion on When is okay to draw my weapon? What would you do in this situation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In most cases if someone tries to rob me they can have the wallet. I'm not going to shoot or even try to go for ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: When is okay to draw my weapon? What would you do in this situation

In most cases if someone tries to rob me they can have the wallet.
    I'm not going to shoot or even try to go for my weapon, especially if they already have their finger on the trigger.
    In case I'm being robbed and there is no firearm or a knife but it's still clearly an overwhelming power - more than ten guys (just kidding) - I'm also going to let them have my wallet. After all my life was not in any danger.

Most muggers want a quick getaway.

Yes I know it's a hassle to give them your wallet; cancel credit cards, renew driver's license, renew CHL, etc etc but it's much simpler than having to go to jail overnight and then to have to go to court and possibly even have to go to jail for man slaughter. Depending on the circumstances.

My rule is simple I won't shoot unless my life is in danger and stealing my wallet is in most cases not such a threat.

Most 19 and 20 year olds don't have a lot of disposable income as they are just getting started out in life. Carrying a concealed weapon brings with it a certain financial expense, a lot of 20 year olds are not willing to invest.

Having the knowledge and training in which you learn a great many things which may be crucial to whether you spend a significant amount of your life in prison is a dilemma you're going to have to address at some point. Having knowledge is one of the most powerful weapons in your arsenal. If you have very little knowledge in a given topic or subject matter, you usually don't even know that you are missing critical bits of knowledge that is crucial to understanding that topic or subject matter.

The more money you invest in learning as much as possible about lethal force, and the laws which govern it's lawful use is what keeps a person either out of prison or out of the funeral home.

Being a member here is a start. But it is only a start. And should never be taken as any sort of expert advice. Yes, you can learn a lot here within the pages of this forum. But it's up to you to sort through and determine which is truthful and instructful and what is chaff and B.S.

Some people have recommended some excellent books already. It's important to read and study as much as you can. Books are cheap. But they are also no subsitiute for live training from competent and recognized instructors.

You should decide now, if you can afford to carry a gun. A gun used without possessing the level of knowledge to make you competent in your skills as well as knowledge of the laws surrounding it's lawful use can make a real mess out of things.

Know this... And understand it... There are hundreds, if not thousands of people doing hard time in prison for voluntary manslaughter and outright murder because they did not understand when it was justified in using it. They are not bad people! They are everyday people who just didn't possess enough knowledge of lethal force law to make it a justifiable shooting. They honestly thought they were doing the right thing. They just didn't know any better.

Just saying "I was in fear of my life" is not a "get out of jail free card." It must pass the "reasonable man" smell test. Which means, would a reasonable man, in the exact same situation, do what you did? When the prosecutor starts explaining to the jury what lawful use of a weapon is to the jury and then proceeds to lay out a case where you were reckless, then all of a sudden that "reasonable man" starts to see you as acting recklessly.

I hope this makes sense. I wish you luck. Stick with it, and do your part in gaining the required knowledge it takes to keep you out of the funeral home first and out of prison last.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    You need to study the laws of your state on what constitutes a legal defensive shooting. Generally speaking though, if you feel your life is in danger, or severe bodily harm is imminent, you are justified to use deadly force to defend yourself.
    As good an answer as you should get on this question. Key point is "IF YOU FEEL YOUR LIFE IS IN DANGER OR SEVERE BODILY HARM IS IMMINENT". That "IF" had better have substantial evidence to support same. Just a bunch of guys with baggie pants and hoodies walking down the street singing gangsta songs is not "IMMINENT" even if you have $150 bucks in your pocket. Has to be a tough call--easy when we are writing on the forum--a whole lot different when it is real dynamics on the street. Surely hope all we do is write and never have to decide. Part of your evidence should be witnesses that you arouse by screaming loudly about not wanting to confront as you try to evade and run away from confrontation--once that is over and you must confront--ya gotta do what ya gotta do--it is then an obvious "presumption" on your part of an imminent danger of death or great bodily injury by your adversary or adversaries--only then should your firearm be presented with the immediate intent of using same.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links