When is okay to draw my weapon? What would you do in this situation

This is a discussion on When is okay to draw my weapon? What would you do in this situation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay everyone I am 21 years old, I just got my CWP this week and I want your opinions. I live in a small city ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: When is okay to draw my weapon? What would you do in this situation

Okay everyone I am 21 years old, I just got my CWP this week and I want your opinions. I live in a small city but there is a huge drug problem.( mostly cocaine/crack or oxy contin) this is also a college town. I know several people who have been attacked/robbed on the way home from a party late at night,each time they were alone and got robbed by several individuals after being attacked( beat down pretty badly ) . I think about this everytime I walk anywhere after dark. I usually work as a server and have at least 150 dollars in cash on me when I leave. So my question is if I was walking home and more than 1 person tried to rob/mug me when is it ok to show that I have a firearm without it becoming brandishing? What would have to happen to you personally before you would tell/show that you were armed?

If someone tries to rob me, I will draw and shoot. If they disengage and leave before I fire, even better.

OTOH, unless they are already showing a deadly weapon within range of using it, I wont stand there long enough to have to do so.

And if they already have a deadly weapon trained on me within range of using it and my firearm is not already out and aimed at them, drawing my firearm is not a recommended tactic for most, even trained, cc'ers.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Without knowing WV law about brandishing, I would say no, as there would be a disparity of force with more than one person attacking/robbing you. Robbed coming home from a party? Were they drunk or otherwise intoxicated,meaning they were easier prey?
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

VIP Member
    You need to study the laws of your state on what constitutes a legal defensive shooting. Generally speaking though, if you feel your life is in danger, or severe bodily harm is imminent, you are justified to use deadly force to defend yourself.
    TVJ, Piratesailor, ccw9mm and 4 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Re: When is okay to draw my weapon? What would you do in this situation

Without the firearm in the equation.. if your approached or challenged by a person or persons.. if its clear that they are trying to accost you, you have the right to strike fast and strike hard....

Now add the gun into the equation...if a person or group of people approach you, and you're not sure.. what does your gut tell you?? This is a red zone, so to speak..
    I've had people walk out in front of me, when I was already walking a certain direction, then after a quarter of a block, turned to confront me claiming I needed to back off and they had a gun...when I was the person walking there first?? I am a big guy, but that's also just... idk... stupid..

This just goes down to how your gut tells you to react, and state law... if you feel they're up to something.. better to look like a butt head than be rolled I guess lol.

In Texas, we don't have a brandishing law.. I personally think that if you feel threatened, then you should take action... not necessarily draw.. but be prepared...if they're familiar with the area, they should kind of understand and probably not approach in a threatening manner.. I wouldn't..

At some point you have to decide when a "reasonable person," who knows what you KNOW, would act...and how that person would act.

That's the basis of the legal argument. At what point would a reasonable person be in REAL FEAR for their life, or afraid of grave bodily injury. At that point, you could act. You may win your defense as well.

You will have spent possibly close to 3 years worth of your ~1000 days of tips... To defend your actions.

Only you can determine at what point that possibility is worth it to you.

Tough call... Part of the "joy" of being licensed to carry a firearm.

Study your state's laws.

Read the first book in my signature line... It's as good a place to find the answer to your question.

I know when I would act in the situation you describe... But the honest answer is YMMV.
    H8SPVMT likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Take some professional training courses.

The good ones will not only teach you how to shoot, they will also talk about when to shoot and when not to.
    TVJ, Arborigine and Secret Spuk like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Take some professional training courses.
    Here is a link to Massad Ayoob class and I would recommend a Mag-20 or a Mag-40: Massad Ayoob Group

Based on your comments, if you are approached by one or more then you need to tell them to stop and if they continue coming at you draw your pistol. Once you draw you are commited and if they turn and run YOU STILL NEED TO CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY and tell them you have just drawn your pistol to stop a mugging! Now if they don't run a proper sight picture and slow pull on the trigger should do the job!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I dont think the bad guy will report you to the police if you pull your weapon, as someone stated on another post, they want nothing to do with the police due to warrents ect.... Use good sense and defend yourself, but take suggestions of guys who have been in situations like that, mabey they can direct you, But every situation is different, comes down to good judgement.

Onacoma has it right... You call 911. This may be the thugs first robbery attempt.

If you draw your gun, you be the first to call.

If they beat you to it, they could play the victim. You have to go on defense. Not good.
    H8SPVMT likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Onacoma has it right... You call 911. This may be the thugs first robbery attempt.

If you draw your gun, you be the first to call.

If they beat you to it, they could play the victim. You have to go on defense. Not good.
    A Thug will not call the police... Ever! When its evident you are being targeted your hand should be on your pistol! You don't have to take it out and wave it, They know what you are doing. If they don't stop then pull it, and make ready to use it. If they are really intent on harming you they will be focused on your every move. If they suddenly veer away your spidey sense was right and they were targeting you. DR

Play your roll the way you've been doing it all this time when you didnt have your cc.... Act as if you didnt have it yet how would you react to the situation... Of coarse you do what you have to do if things got bad.... Eddie

Boy, it's a tough call. Would you risk taking a life for $150? But the same question can and should be directed at someone who would threaten you with grievous bodily harm for the same.

As others have suggested, training is important. But if you have no other means besides walking to get to and from your job, than I would add both a small, powerful flashlight and some potent pepper spray to the equipment you already carry.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    You are allowed to draw your weapon when you are in fear of death or severe injury. <--- That's the answer. Now it's all up to your judgement.

Life has no easy answers once you get to the real world.
    blitzburgh, Curzyk and Bark'n like this.

Thank you to everyone who replied! A few of you asked some questions and I will try to answer the ones I remember. Yes one of them was drunk two others were not, a lot of times the people they rob are not exactly small or easier prey, they were just crimes of opportunity or they were robbing anyone they could for drug money. I will look up brandishing laws I am not really sure what they are. And to the guy who said act how I would if didn't have a gun, that's not a good idea. I hate confrontation but If someone would threaten me and I didn't have a gun I would probably just punch the biggest guy within reach right in mouth and hopefully watch him drop. I used to box a lot and I have a nasty right hook. I am the type of person who would rather take a beating than look like a punk.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links