Wife threatened while driving her Volt - Page 2

Wife threatened while driving her Volt

This is a discussion on Wife threatened while driving her Volt within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ccw9mm Shocking. Glad she's okay. Not much to do in such a situation, other than ignoring the idiots. If they escalate, deal ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: Wife threatened while driving her Volt

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Shocking.

Glad she's okay. Not much to do in such a situation, other than ignoring the idiots. If they escalate, deal with that. If it's possible to evade without breaking into a "run" (ie, prompting the lion to give chase), great. She was armed, which afforded some options if it came to that. On a highway, it's tough as there are limited options. Stopping might have ended with them approaching the vehicle. Tearing off at 100+ mph almost assuredly would have resulted in a chase, possibly a crash. Can't "lash out" at them by shooting them to get them to go away. Seems to me like she did just fine, doing about all one can do when assaulted in that spot.

^^^^^Yep.

If she drives the same stretch of highway she might want to get familiar with what's available off of the various exit ramps, busy gas stations, police stations, etc. Otherwise let the idiots go on down the road. They will get bored quickly if they don't get a rise out of her.
    Aphdmansoc likes this.

RKM
    I'm not a fan of hybrid of electric cars either. But I've never made rude remarks towards people driving them, jeez. The theory of trying to save gas and reduce pollution isn't my problem with them. I actually think that's great. I just don't like how manufactures go about doing it. But that's another story..........

I would have chose the outrun them option, but than again I don't drive a hybrid or electric car, so I would actually be capable of getting away ;) Actually, I'd start by ignoring them and then proceed by outrunning them if they continue to follow me.

I think she did the right thing. Basically just ignore them until they either leave her alone or escalate things to a life threatening situation. calling 911 and making a complaint would do nothing. Pulling a gun wouldn't have been a good idea. Pulling over, again, as you said, OP.... not a good idea as they may also stop. Only reasonable option in this situation as it was not YET life threatening is to go about your business until they leave you alone, and/or respond to they're life threatening threat with lethal force.

Quote Originally Posted by wingit View Post
    I would love to hear about the negative comments. I honestly don't get it.
    Idiots will get set off by whatever suits them. There's no telling which idiot will come along. I don't get it either, but I appreciate that they're out there, amongst us.

Some get frosted by the idea of Yosemite Sam "back off" mud flaps; or, big-corporate-new-car-lot license plate frames; or bumper stickers that proselytize this or that viewpoint; or gas-guzzling XYZ cars; or red hair; or strange/different clothing, singing, looks given to the onlookers, failure to give looks to the onlookers/taunters, running, ignoring their provocations, or anything else that they think justifies their lunacy and assaulting behavior. There isn't understanding it. IMO, we can only anticipate that someone of each sort's likely to cross paths with us at some point, and take what precautions we can to avoid them and deal with them when they do come.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If I was familiar with the area I'd exit and either 1. if they followed go to a police station (that's where being familiar with the area really helps) or 2. (if they don't follow) simply get back on the highway but by exiting and getting back on I've put a little distance between me and the harassing truck. If they were really out of hand I'd call the police and report it, getting a tag number if possible.

Well...to be perfectly honest, sitting here at home that's what I'd like to think I'd do - in reality I'm just as likely to mouth off back, but I'm sure that's not the best plan. I would certainly keep my weapon in it's holster in this situation.

It's not always just that we get our feelings hurt when someone's messing with us the road, it can be scary, more so for women than men. Even just verbal - it's very unsettling to be singled out and I'd have been freaked out too. Glad she's alright. I really don't understand someone messing with someone over a car like that. I guess there's all kinds in the world...

I often get honked at when driving my VW, but no trash talking or yelling. In my mind I hear "love your car" but in reality I'm sure it's "can't that 14 year old pile of **** go any faster?!" I just smile and wave and keep on going down the road...
    Jeanlouise likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wingit View Post
    I would love to hear about the negative comments. I honestly don't get it.

Me too. What controversy is there about Volts, Priuses, etc? Isnt the Volt at least made in America? (Not sure)
    Hopyard, MamaMaria and KnifeGuy like this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Ignore ignore ignore.

Slow down to stay out of their way. Turn off if necessary, head for police station if necessary.

Do not go down to their level...it's very dangerous in large fast vehicles. And probably Volts too
    HardBall and thephanatik like this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Guys--I am going to take a minority position here: It makes sense to me that she was shaken up---we talk often here on the forum about "disparity of force"--Women, as a general rule, are subjected to physical, emotional, sexual and verbal abuse more so than we men are. Sadly, there are "men" who will be quick to act in threatening/intimidating way towards a woman that they would not do with another man. Women live in a very different world than we as men do.

So here, we have a member who had his wife verbally assualted, by guys driving a dually diesel (this is what I drive)---I have never been in a Volt, but I would imagine that having a couple of jerks, acting aggressively while driving beside you in a large dually pickup, would be quite intimidating.

I think that she should have called 911 and told the dispatch that she was being threatened/intimidated, and give a vehicle plate and occupant description.
    Hopyard, Lish, jryan630 and 15 others like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    I think that she should have called 911 and told the dispatch that she was being threatened/intimidated, and give a vehicle plate and occupant description.

Always a good step, as part of any array of precautions/actions taken when confronted by such threatening assault.

As for those people saying my wife needs to "toughen up" I can assure you she was not upset because her feelings were hurt. She had a truck full of men harrassing her for 2 or 3 miles down the highway. She had no way to know what their intentions were or what they would do next. I tend to agree. I have pretty thick skin when it comes to insults and people yelling at me. But when somebody acts like that going down the highway you have to wonder what kind of person you are dealing with. Are they violent? Are they going to run you off the road? If you stop will they get out and attack you? So yeah - I agree to ignore them as long as they aren't hurting you. And that is exactly what she did. But when you have people like that who are out of their mind and possibly intoxicated, who outnumber you, in a vehicle much larger than yours, you have to plan for the worst and be ready to take action if things escalate.

The police station came to my mind too, but I doubt either one of us would have known where the nearest station was. We drive through Ft.Worth a lot but have never lived there. So I think maybe we should take some time to figure out where the nearest ones are on our usual routes so that it could be a plan of action. In fact, I suppose we could add some of them into the navigation system that way we could just click on the address book and pick a police station so we wouldn't have to figure out how to get there.

For those that don't know, the complaint most people have about the car is that they believe it is an icon for the Obama administration and they've been fed lies by certain news media saying that each vehicle costs the taxpayer some $75,000. Also because it is the icon of the "new GM" which is here only because of the bailouts they are just mad at GM and Obama in general. Somehow Obama became linked to the Volt even though it was created under the Bush administration and Bush is the one that created the tax incentive and loan program to develop the car. In fact Obama tried to kill it when the bailout took place and Bob Lutz (a staunch republican) had to fight to save it and keep it in development. However, that doesn't seem to stop various news outlets and people like Rush Limbaugh from calling it an "Obama-mobile" and suggesting that Obama wants us all to be driving Volts and that is why he has pushed gas prices so high. I've had people come up to me in parking lots and ask "Do you know who paid for your car?" There have also been erroneous and exaggerated reports that the cars are known to catch on fire and that they are death traps, even though it has never actually happened. I suspect most of the lies have come from the oil-companies pushing an agenda.

In reality this should be a republican's dream car (and incidentally, I am a republican) because it is made in America and is fueled primarily by American energy and resources. The only issues that the volt-haters have that has any sort of merit or truth to it is that it is somewhat tax-payer subsidized. Of course it works just like the subsidies did for the Prius when it came out. The tax credit goes to the first 200,000 sold. After that, no subsidy. The Prius ran out of subsidies years ago so nobody seems to remember that it was also subsidized.

As for those saying the Volt couldn't outrun a diesel. Well, yes and no. The Volt is actually surprisingly fast off the line. The issue with a high-speed chase is that the computer limites the vehicles top speed to 100 mph because at that speed the electric motor (which has no transmission) will be spinning at some ridiculous RPM like 20,000. Anything faster would damage it.
    KnifeGuy likes this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    The police station came to my mind too, but I doubt either one of us would have known where the nearest station was.
    Yup. That's the one thing most folks don't consider, when proposing to "just pull over at the nearest police station." Other than nearby one's own neighborhood, often a person has no clue where the nearest one is. 911's about as good as it gets, in practice.

Re: Wife threatened while driving her Volt

Are you sure they weren't asking... "That got a HEMI in it?"

No...? Okay. Just checkin'. It's Texas, after all.

It's a GM car...it's gotOn Star. Push the little blue button on the rearview mirror... Get help.

Drive slower and wait... LEOs love to help a damsel in distress. 'Specially Texas Rangers, just ask Chuck Norris.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    For those that don't know, the complaint most people have about the car is that they believe it is an icon for the Obama administration and they've been fed lies by certain news media saying that each vehicle costs the taxpayer some $75,000. Also because it is the icon of the "new GM" which is here only because of the bailouts they are just mad at GM and Obama in general. Somehow Obama became linked to the Volt even though it was created under the Bush administration and Bush is the one that created the tax incentive and loan program to develop the car. In fact Obama tried to kill it when the bailout took place and Bob Lutz (a staunch republican) had to fight to save it and keep it in development. However, that doesn't seem to stop various news outlets and people like Rush Limbaugh from calling it an "Obama-mobile" and suggesting that Obama wants us all to be driving Volts and that is why he has pushed gas prices so high. I've had people come up to me in parking lots and ask "Do you know who paid for your car?" There have also been erroneous and exaggerated reports that the cars are known to catch on fire and that they are death traps, even though it has never actually happened. I suspect most of the lies have come from the oil-companies pushing an agenda.

Ah thank you. I have no tolerance for such ignoramuses...made more obvious by the fact that they dont know that the GM bailout was proposed by the administration before Obama's.

Still, when driving or armed, I do ignore such individuals, and avoid.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Distinguished Member
    I suspect alcohol may have been a factor here. If she had called 911 and reported the incident, a impaired driver may have been taken off the road. The best action was to have called 911 and maintained control of her vehicle while putting some distance away from theirs. Anyway, she done good. Glad it did not escalate further.
    ep1953 likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

I thought we were done with politics for a while; guess not. Jolly Time (literally)
    Hopyard and Inspector71 like this.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links