Wife threatened while driving her Volt - Page 5

Wife threatened while driving her Volt

This is a discussion on Wife threatened while driving her Volt within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That shouldn't happen BUT YEA! I am a bit pi$$ed my taxes pay for YOUR car....

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: Wife threatened while driving her Volt

Ex Member
    That shouldn't happen BUT YEA! I am a bit pi$$ed my taxes pay for YOUR car.
    rigel42 and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.

You have to learn ignoring all the idiots around there now a days unless they become physical and that is the best defense.
    She did right thing. As stated earlier the best options were to call 911 and pull over to busy place nearby.

VIP Member
    Found on the net-- Chevy Volt Owners Take Flack For GM Flubs - Yahoo! Autos

Some folks sure have nothing good to do with their lives.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Found on the net-- Chevy Volt Owners Take Flack For GM Flubs - Yahoo! Autos

Some folks sure have nothing good to do with their lives.
    The First Amendment GUARANTEES party A the right to free speech.
    Which Amendment was it again that guarantees party B gets a car I have to subsidize with MY TAXES?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Which Amendment was it again that guarantees party B gets a car I have to subsidize with MY TAXES?
    The interstate highway system is a big subsidy for cars and killed the railroad. The U.S. Government has been picking winners and losers since 1789
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

RAL
    As an aside:
    The Volt and other hybrid cars are very dangerous in an accident. My son, who works an emergency rescue job, told me never to buy one. The cars are extra heavy because of all the batteries, and in an accident you and/or your rescuer may be electrocuted. He said he and his crew work extra slowly to extricate someone from an electric car, and there are situations where they would not/could not use the Jaws-of-Life.

Just something to think about when you are tempted to purchase an electric car.
    KnifeGuy likes this.
    I know Whose I am. I know where I'm going. I know the job I'm to do while I'm here. I am an ambassador. This is not my home.

Evil prospers when good people to do nothing. Please don't turn your back. ACT!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Don't mix apples and oranges. The type of speech the 1A guarantees does not include harassing
    strangers because of the kind of car they drive.

The other stuff is public policy decisions made by elected representative and Congressional appointees.
    The idea of massive bailouts came from Henry Paulson in 2008.

" Henry Paulson's Deals on Wheels - WSJ.com Bold added for emphasis.
    "Hurry to your local GM dealer, because Hank Paulson has a deal for you. Within hours of receiving a $5 billion lifeline from the U.S. Treasury on Monday, GMAC -- the financing arm of General Motors -- slashed its car-loan rates and lowered its lending standards to help GM sell, sell, sell." Henry Paulson's Deals on Wheels - WSJ.com
    ep1953 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    My wife drives a 2012 Volt. So yeah, no doubt the Volt has a lot of political polarization surrounding it...At first she wasn't sure if they were even screaming at her but then she heard something about "think you're better than us because you don't use gas."...Incidentally, we've had 10 compliments for every 1 negative comment we get on the car. So it goes both ways.
    I'm glad your wife is ok. It's bizarre to me that anyone would be upset at an electric car when it's the best way we can stick it to the oil cartel! Is she sure they weren't using a word that rhymes with "gas"?!?
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    Hmmm, last few posts have been pretty far off the ops post.

I don't own a hybrid, but I can tell you what I did in a similar situation many years ago. Applies to any vehicle.

Wife and I were returning home going thru West Virginia or Ohio at the time. Crazy fool in a truck got pissed off on the interstate, we still don't know why to this day. Cussing, honking, pulling into the lane, trying to side swipe our vehicle, etc. I let the other driver get in front so I could control the situation, speed, etc. I chose to last minute exit, swerve off the interstate. The crazy guy slammed on his breaks and backed up in the middle of the interstate to follow. I was quickly able to make a few right turns and pull in behind a corner building and watch him drive past. I gave it 30 minutes and went on my merry way after calling the incident into the state police. Don't know if they ever made contact with the idiot.

Speeding down the highway in an attempt to outrun the agressive vehicle is not the answer. Too many variables you can't control and much too risky to your family and others who are not involved. Hard too prove why you were running when you crash into an another innocent motorist and no witnesses come forward.

I could have done the pit maneuver, but that would have only escallated the situation. Same as above, you better hope witnesses come forward to support your story and no innocents get hurt. A good DA will argue you chose to escalate the situation and the nightmare of charges that go with it.

As in all civilian conflict, avoiding contact and breaking off is best. Manage the fear and work thru the problem. In my situation it was the best possible outcome. I had lots of options and was able to safely evade and break contact. I think this will work for your wife if she is ever in that unfortunate situation again.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    The interstate highway system is a big subsidy for cars and killed the railroad.

You may want to look at your old history books. The Interstate highway system had NOTHING to do with railroads. Ike had it built, though proposed much earlier in the Pershing Maps, for NATIONAL DEFENSE.
    tundra likes this.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

Always a good step, as part of any array of precautions/actions taken when confronted by such threatening assault.
    Seeing your quarry calling someone, presumably 911, often has the effect of them remembering they have just missed their exit.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I do agree that it is not smart to intentionally distract or harass another driver in a moving vehicle. Accidents happen that way.
    I call BS on the whole story. Texans don't act like that, do they? My wife grew up in Texas and told me so.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Not so much responding to your post as a prior one by someone on coal fired generation, there are
    huge amount of wind electricity production happening in TX. I purchase 50% of the electricity for my home
    from a wind source and plan to up that to 100%. If one drives a Volt, charges it at home with wind sourced
    electricity, the coal -pollution argument pretty much goes away.

Also, I read a news story that during the East Coast Hurricane, some managed to get power to their homes
    from their hybrid electric vehicles. So, there are some times when the system has additional unintended uses.

I'm a fan of Picken's energy program, not Pickens himself. There is no reason why we should not have
    trucks running on compressed natural gas, nor cars on dual fuel. The technology has existed for about 30 years
    and is used in other countries. Anything that break the back of our need for imported oil is good for our economy
    because it keeps bucks here (JOBS) here.
    My sister-in-law is the project manager for a solar farm outside north Austin that will eventually power a whole town.
    --------------------
    Best reaction to idiots:

KnifeGuy likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Ike was inspired by how well the Nazis were able to exploit their autobahn to move troops and materiel quickly. AFAIK to this day Interstates must have so many sections of straight line road per mile so that they can be used for airstrips.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RAL View Post
    As an aside:
    The Volt and other hybrid cars are very dangerous in an accident. My son, who works an emergency rescue job, told me never to buy one. The cars are extra heavy because of all the batteries, and in an accident you and/or your rescuer may be electrocuted. He said he and his crew work extra slowly to extricate someone from an electric car, and there are situations where they would not/could not use the Jaws-of-Life.

Just something to think about when you are tempted to purchase an electric car.
    As an even farther aside - these cars will not electrocute you - Do Electric Cars Make You Worry About Toasters in Bathtubs?
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wingit View Post
    I would love to hear about the negative comments. I honestly don't get it.....
    They're cretons. Usually have an IQ equal to their age.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    As an even farther aside - these cars will not electrocute you - Do Electric Cars Make You Worry About Toasters in Bathtubs?
    This is all now waay off topic. But, his comment about the electric cars being an electrical hazard was based on after being in an accident. Not getting wet.
    RAL likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links