Wife threatened while driving her Volt

This is a discussion on Wife threatened while driving her Volt within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by adric22 she said it was hard to hear clearly when driving 70 mph down the highway. The Volt can get up to ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: Wife threatened while driving her Volt

NCG
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    she said it was hard to hear clearly when driving 70 mph down the highway.
    The Volt can get up to 70 MPH?

In all seriousness, glad your wife is ok

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RAL View Post
    As an aside:
    The Volt and other hybrid cars are very dangerous in an accident. My son, who works an emergency rescue job, told me never to buy one. The cars are extra heavy because of all the batteries, and in an accident you and/or your rescuer may be electrocuted. He said he and his crew work extra slowly to extricate someone from an electric car, and there are situations where they would not/could not use the Jaws-of-Life.

Just something to think about when you are tempted to purchase an electric car.
    Some disable the electrical system in the event of an accident. All manufacturers are working with emergency responders, tow truck drivers, salvage yards, etc. to educate them about the structure of the vehicle including cut points.

Any vehicle is a stored energy device. Gasoline cars have stored energy in the form of liquid fuel, which is highly flammable. Electric cars store energy in batteries. Every energy storage system has some danger to it. If you think about it, a gun is a stored energy device. The powder is stored in the round.
    9MMare likes this.

VIP Member
    Modern breaker and control technology can handle the sorts of hazards which can be reasonably
    anticipated.
    I'd be very surprised if these cars are not ultra safe electrically.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Hummmmm..... it bothers me , that your first thoughts are about brandishing a gun at them, and thinking about how the gun would resolve your problem. She wasn't threatened by what you have said , and they in no way were threatening her life. So why in the world.... would you introduce a gun into that ? Maybe you or your wife should be leaving the gun at home, it's that the logic you are using ... before you end up in jail.

They were exercising their 1st Amendment rights, that's it.... that's all. It doesn't say they have to express their views of the Volt in a manner you find acceptable..... nor that they are restricted from expressing them.
    From what's been said... they didn't take any action directed at your wife, they didn't try to harm your wife, and they made no threat to harm your wife.

On top of that, you are in the middle of "oil country" ...... you kinda going to have to expect some flack about driving a Volt there.

Disorderly conduct and harassment at freeway speed is outside of the Second Amendment. I agree about the brandishing.

911; tell dispatch you are scared and being harassed for miles; brake and get plate. Give description of bullies. Tell them again how scared you are. Stay on with dispatch. Wait for at least 2 Troopers to show up. Feel smug and enjoy the mental picture of them getting pulled over in your rear view mirror.....

What a bunch of p****** driving that truck for harassing a woman.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Glad shes ok. Sounds like she did good by ignoring them. Yes I bet she was nervous. But at least she had a gun just in case. And kudos to you for driving a volt and saving gas. That way you can save for more guns and ammo. Something we all need more of. Stay safe.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    By the way, small cars and big trucks rarely mix well. This example from Saturday last at 35 mph.

Truck on car Nov 17 2012 Courtland 7 11 Corrected (2).jpg
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Modern breaker and control technology can handle the sorts of hazards which can be reasonably
    anticipated.
    I'd be very surprised if these cars are not ultra safe electrically.
    Well, stored battery energy in a vehicle is still fairly new, while stored gasoline goes back over a century. So I'll propose that all of the problems have probably not been worked out, but will be.
    RAL likes this.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    It could be worse, you could be driving a Pious...er, Prious. And nothing says "I refuse to fight back, no matter what you do to me." quite like a guy who drives a Prious.

Re: Wife threatened while driving her Volt

Look over, smile :D and :thumbup: and continue driving... that's about it.. and no, that could not be considered shinning em on. That would be if you gave em the bird lmao.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Well, stored battery energy in a vehicle is still fairly new, while stored gasoline goes back over a century. So I'll propose that all of the problems have probably not been worked out, but will be.
    "ALL," probably not; but that happens with everything that man builds. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pinto

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudden_unintended_acceleration en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Challenger_disaster
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    That is acceptable? THe woman felt threatened...and men were acting like 13 yr olds in a 2000 lb moving weapon. The fact that they felt the need to 'express their 1A Rights' in a dangerous and threatening manner shows just how mature they are (& what their judgement is like). In the middle of 'oil country?" Really? No one else uses electricity there?

They are entitled to express their opinions. However since those opinions were legitimately perceived as threats....they may end up having to deal with the consequences of doing so.

The 1A is about protection from govt interference...not avoidance of consequences from private or other public entities.
    I think I said , exactly what I thought. What exactly was "threatening " about it ??? They were immature about it ? OOOOhhhhhh , that's a big surprise. So what ? Perception .... is not always reality. Someone mistaking someone doing something as a threat, that isn't (no actions showed they threatened her verbally or otherwise)...... and introduce a gun into it.... are the one most likely to spend a lot of money on legal fees and time in prison after the trial.

Let's DO be real here.

So what.... someone "yelling" something... is not a threat.

the 1st Amendment is NOT "just" about the Govt... it is also about YOU ..... having NO RIGHT to try to stop them from expressing their opinion, no matter how much you like or don't like what they are saying nor how they are saying it. OP gave no overt threats or even implied threats that they made in any manner.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I think I said , exactly what I thought. What exactly was "threatening " about it ??? They were immature about it ? OOOOhhhhhh , that's a big surprise. So what ? Perception .... is not always reality. Someone mistaking someone doing something as a threat, that isn't (no actions showed they threatened her verbally or otherwise)...... and introduce a gun into it.... are the one most likely to spend a lot of money on legal fees and time in prison after the trial.

Let's DO be real here.

So what.... someone "yelling" something... is not a threat.

the 1st Amendment is NOT "just" about the Govt... it is also about YOU ..... having NO RIGHT to try to stop them from expressing their opinion, no matter how much you like or don't like what they are saying nor how they are saying it. OP gave no overt threats or even implied threats that they made in any manner.
    You didnt understand much in my post, at all. Immaturity and poor judgement ARE assuredly dangerous in moving vehicles (hence: threatening)....does it make more sense if I reword it?

I never said they couldnt express themselves...I just said that their 1A rights didnt protect them from consequences from those outside the govt.

You are defending a pretty sad position right now. But carry on.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Immaturity and poor judgement ARE assuredly dangerous in moving vehicles (hence: threatening)...
    Only when a threat becomes real. So long as it remains words only, lacking any other corroborating factors, it's only words. I think that's what E was getting at.

Having the speedo reading something other than zero doesn't, by itself, equate to "threat." More dangerous by virtue of being at speed? Perhaps, but it would be hard to argue such a thing to a DA or GJ, were that to be the claimed justification for responding to the words.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Only when a threat becomes real. So long as it remains words only, lacking any other corroborating factors, it's only words. I think that's what E was getting at.

Having the speedo reading something other than zero doesn't, by itself, equate to "threat." More dangerous by virtue of being at speed? Perhaps, but it would be hard to argue such a thing to a DA or GJ, were that to be the claimed justification for responding to the words.
    Once again, missing the poor judgement and large fast moving vehicles. Accidents happen in an instant. And it's not 'just words.' You can go to jail for certain threats, lets not be dishonest here.

She could have felt legitimately threatened...and did. A man approaching a woman on foot, threatening assault....she has a legitimate basis to defend herself (I didnt say with lethal force). Same here....idiots showing poor judgement driving lethal weapons.

Again, not an impressive position you are defending....and not even accurate in some...perhaps hers...circumstances.
    tundra likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Again, not an impressive position you are defending....and not even accurate in some...perhaps hers...circumstances.
    I'm defending the position of responding appropriately to legitimate threat, nothing more. I'm merely pointing out that responding inappropriately to imagined threats go too far. Unknown what specific response was or wasn't justified on the instant of that one specific situation, as I wasn't there. But the mere fact the person didn't do much responding at all is fairly telling, in this sense.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links